6-Year-Old Faith Healer touted in religious news media

While not in the mainstream media, yet, it caught my attention at how desperate people are to hear miracle stories and how they will believe without any skepticism. This story was shared directly from the page about 5000 times. There is no telling how far it was shared after that.

6-Year-Old Boy Lays Hands on the Sick and Sees Miracle Recoveries.

For over a year, Joey has been learning on Sunday that he can hear God’s voice and heal the sick.

Joey’s aunt became extremely ill. She was so ill that they were not accepting visitors. But one day little Joey decided that he needed to go and pray for his aunt Mindy. He specifically said he wanted to pray for her in Jesus’ name so she could be healed.

The mom shared, “As we got into the house, I was shocked at how my sister looked. I hardly recognized her. She was so weak. She didn’t even lift her head off the couch where she was laying covered up. She just opened her eyes and looked at us.”

His mother wrote, “As he was praying, I opened my eyes and stared in awe of the transformation I was witnessing. It was miraculous. If I hadn’t seen it for myself, I wouldn’t have believed it. The color began to rise back in her face. Her dull eyes started to sparkle and shine. The person who was too weak to raise her head to see who was at the door a few minutes ago actually sat up!

Joey is 6 years old. The article quotes him as saying “‘Heavenly Father, I ask You to touch my aunt Mindy and heal her, because we know by Your stripes she is healed. Thank You for her healing in Jesus name. Amen.'” The picture included with the story suggests that small children are being taught to pray over people. This article is completely questionable. Did he really say that? Was the woman sick and really get better? Are childrent being taught to be faith healers?

It’s a story, not a testimonial, not facts, not established as true and there is no sense to a rational conclusion that the boy healed the woman.

It’s. A. Story. Similar to lots we’ve heard before that didn’t pan out.

I understand that people are very strong in their faith and will to believe. The news source appeals to this type of person. However, I suspect we will get this story also from the mainstream media who will present this to us as something to ponder. But I can’t throw away everything we know to be true about human physiology and medicine and say “God did it”. That would be insulting to all the doctors and professionals that have worked so hard to make us live longer, healthier lives than ever. We KNOW that works. It has a very well documented track record. Faith healing? Not at all.

Stories of faith healing are bad enough, possibly resulting in people putting health decisions into the hands of charlatans. It’s even worse to teach children they can do such miracles. Sickening. This is a shame of such fervent religious belief.

Comments are tightly moderated. Please follow the Comment Policy.

7 comments for “6-Year-Old Faith Healer touted in religious news media

1. L. Barth.
    May 10, 2014 at 10:27 PM

The fact that Little Joey is hearing voices is a little concerning.

2. Brian
    May 10, 2014 at 10:27 PM

That was nothing more than a story. No city, no state, no supporting statements from people that can be traced (i.e.- pastor of a church, etc.). There are no names of doctors. No description of the disease.

Shall I go on? :P This is nothing more than a tool to create false hope and probably bring in revenue to the religion.

3. justin
    May 10, 2014 at 10:44 PM

I don’t think they are trying to get children to believe they can heal people personally. And I don’t think the boy himself thinks “he” healed his aunt. It’s more that God heard his prayers and did it. I don’t think the kid is going to go around trying to heal the sick. Living in the Bible belt, you hear about things like this alot. And most people (even here) smile and dismiss it. Idk how damaging this could be and it seems to be blown out of proportion. I agree that religion has been and continues to be plague on humanity, and if we are to move forward as a species it is in our best interest to phase it completely. Having said that, its far to appealing to the general public to chastise to harshly without people turning against you (even people who believe what you do). The best way, I believe, we have of helping people get over their religion addition is with understanding and rationality. Figure out why people choose this life and offer them a more appealing alternative. Alot will not change no matter what. But some inevitably will. Judgment is what they do. Understanding should be our thing. We’ll eventually win. Just hopefully its sooner rather than later. For all our sakes

4. May 11, 2014 at 7:55 AM

If only the religious all believed in this sort of nonsense with conviction enough to refuse scientifically proven medicine, they could “heal” themselves out of existence, and leave the rest of us to evolve away from their primitive beliefs.

5. Bob
    May 11, 2014 at 8:46 AM

This “story” came from a company that sells “teaching” materials so that children can learn to heal the sick. Scroll down the comments.

• One Eyed Jack
      May 11, 2014 at 9:12 AM

All religions are selling something.

6. One Eyed Jack
    May 11, 2014 at 9:11 AM

It’s. A. Story.

That’s a good description for not only this story, but all religious accounts.

The Bible… It’s.A.Story.
    The Q’uran… It’s.A.Story.
    The Mahabharata… It’s.A.Story.

However, try and sell that to the fundamentalists. Go on. I dare you. :)