Todd Standing – a new name in Bigfootery

I hoped my days of digging into ugly Bigfoot business were done. I do not trust any “researcher” who finds footage and tries to make money off it. A new name you may not have heard of (but has been around a long while to us Inside Bigfoot-Baseball people) has appeared on the public scene mainly thanks to Les Stroud promoting the Bigfoot Survivorman show – Todd Standing. What does Standing have? Belief in spades and really, really poor footage that was released to the public. It’s so bad, it’s laughable.

todd-bigfoot_big

But, he also has Jeff Meldrum to lend credibility as an accredited academic. Should you buy this new evidence as proof? No. Standing has been labeled “doubtful” by the Bigfooting community because of this and past footage. How can he explain the close-up stills when no one else can get such shots?

Calgary’s Bigfoot believer on quest for beast’s body.

Standing has appeared on reality television and Internet radio in his bid to convince the masses. He’s producing his own feature film, the proceeds of which he plans to spend on a major expedition with scientists and specialized equipment to recover the crown jewel of evidence, the thing that believers the world over have claimed exist but have never produced — a Bigfoot body.

“I have seven different crystal clear Sasquatch videos that people can’t look at and say, that’s a bear,” Standing said. “They look at it and go that’s either a man in a suit or that’s a new species of primate that’s alive and well in North America. There’s no other option.”

The other option, Todd, is that it’s fake, just like many others that have been pitched to the public. You can be the judge in the video.

(I heard other footage shows it actually DOES blink on occasion. Color me unimpressed.) NO video will do it. No video or photograph is sufficient evidence when the likelihood is that it was faked.

Standing has had connections with other busted Bigfoot projects and his Sylvanic project has been active since 2005 but produced NOTHING worthwhile but these really fakey-looking teasers.

He appeared on Season 2 of Finding Bigfoot where the team checked out his claims in Alberta.

We came to the area to investigate a video obtained by Todd Standing. I heard about Todd several years ago as a man who had supposedly obtained several pieces of footage of sasquatches at a secret spot that he called “Sylvanic.” He then put the clips together into some sort of film and was showing it in small movie theaters around Canada. Not long after, his name popped up again as a man who was lobbying the Canadian parliament for official protection of sasquatches.

That quote was from Cliff Barackman who did not think much of Standing’s evidence, calling the Bigfoot a “puppet” and saying in at least one video,the “skin appears very much like felt, and its fur lacks the flow pattern that one would expect from a living creature.”

Like I said before, I’ll play the odds… and not trust the Bigfoolery. Survivorman-Bigfoot has not aired yet in the U.S.

You can see more here at the Sylvanic website.

Do These Photos Show a Real Bigfoot? – Animal Planet: Animal Oddities. (From 2011)

43 comments for “Todd Standing – a new name in Bigfootery

1. Andrew
    April 4, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Oh good grief, I am sure that whatever that is, is absolutely fake, the eyes don’t blink. Hello all mammals blink their eyes.

2. Fikenhild
    April 5, 2014 at 4:37 AM

If there were bigfoots (bigfeet?) running around in the mountains, surely someone would have found some bigfoot droppings by now–or bigfoot bones. This bigfoot thing is at least a hundred years old, and in all that time no one, nowhere has found a single bigfoot dropping. When I was young, I wanted to believe that they, or something like them, existed because it made the world seem more mysterious and interesting. I don’t think that way anymore. Show me some real tangible evidence.

• Joseph
      April 27, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Fikenhild, I agree with what you’re saying, except that alleged Bigfoot feces have been found (supposedly.)

3. April 5, 2014 at 10:27 AM

I’ve been following Standing for years (like Sharon, I’m sure). At one point I did a bunch of research and had (if I remember correctly) a bunch of little details that suggested he was a filmmaker with some FX experience. [pauses to do some searching] – this person has the details: http://squatchdetective.weebly.com/sylvanic–todd-standing.html

Since then, Todd’s “got smart” and hidden his DNS details behind privacy filters. It’s still possible to get the history, but most places with archives of that DNS data charge for it.

At any rate, I can’t help but feel that Jeff Meldrum’s involvement is counterintuitive if he really wants to be seen as the voice of science in bigfoot research. And that Todd’s real goal is getting people to buy his puppet movies. I’ll just go see the new Muppet movie instead.

4. April 5, 2014 at 12:14 PM

I find currently no reason to TRUST any bigfooter who makes such claims but there is addition evidence that should make anyone even MORE wary of Standing.

I know Loren Coleman thinks that the Dyer hoax had no effect on cryptozoology (http://www.cryptozoonews.com/hank-dies/) in general but a series of nothing but sideshow garbage, sensationalism and shit science has tarnished Bigfoot studies.

• Cole
      June 19, 2014 at 5:05 PM

I agree…….I find it highly unlikely that some unknown species of ape exists. When watching programs like this, there is never a “real” skeptic. Les went into this project with a bias toward something he heard and could not identify in his past.

If the scientific community thought there was a remote chance that a unknown species of ape existed, they would be all over it. Every square mile of remote wilderness would have a scientist trying to make the next great discovery and a name for themselves…instead, all you have is a bunch of idiotic amateurs, proclaiming they are experts and running around the woods either trying to hoax, or becoming the victim of a hoax.

Cryptozoology LOL…Has any so-called Cryptozoologist ever discovered a new species verified by real scientists? Cryptozoology should be described as the study of cultural myth as that is all they have discovered…folklore…

From an entertainment standpoint, I do find it interesting. I don’t know why but I do enjoy watching people make fools of themselves (Bo Bo, Matt Moneymaker,Cliff, and Renae along with those hillbilly monster hunters and now Les Stroud). TV ratings enjoy it as well…Don’t worry big foot fans, the ratings are there so more programs will follow…

Diane Fossey and Jane Goodall didn’t discover any species, they studied them. That is not to say unknown species are not being discovered… they are…. however, the species are generally small, very similar to other species, or in areas where humans can’t easily travel (i.e. deep oceans).

A 7 to 14 foot tall ape is not something one would easily miss…Hundreds of thousands of people ( hunters, trappers, mountaineering climbers, hikers, park rangers, biologists, loggers, miners, oil explorers, biologists, etc.) have traveled through remote area’s for many decades and only a small handful (maybe 1/10 of 1%) “think” they saw or “heard” something…

Foot prints, video, sound, and still pictures can be easily faked…Yah know…people do have a sense of humor and love practical jokes. I know if I lived near one of these so-called big foot area’s I would have a blast faking so-called evidence and watching people drool all over themselves thinking they found something…It would be a hysterical riot to watch…

Show me a body…otherwise big foot is a fairytale…

5. Bob
    April 5, 2014 at 12:36 PM

After years of “gotcha”…investigating the paranormal, I would be curious which UFO sightings and Bigfoot/ABSM stories still keep the question open in your mind? If it isn’t, that is a shame, too. If Jane Goodall has an open mind, shouldn’t you?

6. seesdifferent
    April 7, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Jeff Meldrum is collaborating with Standing, who is reportedly Canada’s “Jeff Meldrum”, ie the media’s “go-to” guy when it comes to bigfoot stories. The other member of the triumvirate, Les Stroud has a “non-bigfoot” fan base from his cable TV program, is hyping a comeback season of Survivorman on a new channel. Previously, Meldrum has forged a self publishing and grant-seeking alliance with Bill Munns, of the old “MonsterQuest” show, and hooked up with a William Barnes ( ex “gold dredger”) in the bizarre half million dollar “Falcon” surveillance “catamaran” blimp project.

Not to mention Meldrum’s cinematic adventures.

Perhaps in a few years Dr. Meldrum will have some time (he’ll certainly have enough money) to actually do some research on such things as oh, I don’t know, whether or not tracks can be faked? In the meantime, he is known by the company he keeps.

7. Lee
    April 8, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I think the majority of the money raised in filming said extemely hilarious footage should have gone to a very acclaimed special effects artist to at least present a creature that does not look like the beautician that lives next door did them a favor. This looks almost as convincing as the puppet in a MST3K movie trouncing named “Werewolf”.

8. Justin M
    April 13, 2014 at 1:15 AM

First of all, i agree 100% that no amount of video or audio “evidence” will ever make me believe in Bigfoot. I have spent that last couple hours reading up on your writing here and on Huffington post. Which is why i am so surprised you find this video so bad it’s laughable as if there is some sort of standard look for what a Bigfoot would look like. I am even more surprised that you quote Cliff Barackman as if he is some sort of expert. Finding Bigfoot is the epitome of people searching for what they want to see (at least all but Ranae). Not to mention the b.s. on the flow patterns you would expect from a living creature (I guess the proboscis monkey isn’t a living creature)

The only reason that i believe that Bigfoot COULD exist is the fact that a possibly similar great ape (gigantopithecus) lived in Asia during a time when an Asian-Americas land bridge existed. To me its like you are claiming to know what Gigantopithecus looks like even though only teeth and jaw bones have been found. Nearly every aspect of the great ape is highly debatable, even if its bipedal or not. Yet you know its appearance?!?

• April 13, 2014 at 11:41 AM

The video is laughable for many reasons. I claim no knowledge of what Bigfoot looks like. I am saying that Standing’s work is reeks of falsity. It does not pass the laugh test.

I have nothing but derision for Finding Bigfoot. But when their low standards are not even met by Todd Standing, that’s worth commenting upon. Also, Ranae is no skeptic, she is playing a role. The whole show is contrived and very stupid.

Gigantopithecus is long gone. There have been no remains found here. It’s an extreme leap of faith to believe in Bigfoot. The evidence is just not there. I have no idea what you are talking about with regards to flow patterns. There is no sound evidence that apes {besides humans} are currently native to North America.

Prehistoric Survivors? They Are Really Most Sincerely Dead – CSI.

• Justin M
        April 14, 2014 at 1:18 PM

I’m so glad you have such immense insight on the field of Gigatopithecus. Just based on fossil record you are correct, but if you follow paleontology you know that just because we haven’t found evidence doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. You would have been committed if you claimed that the t-rex and pelican were more closely related then the t-rex is to the triceratops before the last few decades. Until a fossil of a feathered dinosaur fossil opened peoples mind. Sometimes science seems counter-intuitive but doesn’t mean its wrong.

The truth is Gigatopithecus lived at least a couple million years, and spanned huge distances (that we know of) from India, China, and Vietnam. For that to happen there had to be a decent population, yet everything we know (or claim to know) is based on a handful of teeth and a jawbone. Part of being a scientist is realizing that we don’t know everything (as I’m sure you know).

Also some of the best biological discoveries (giant panda, colossal squid, mountain gorilla, ect) have come from listening to the stories and myths of the native people. Many Native Americans tribes, many of who we have no reason to believe have contacted each other, have had stories of there version of bigfoot for thousands of years.

That being said i would think its ridiculous to fund real expeditions to search for anything unless there is that smoking gun evidence, which obviously doesn’t exist. I also attribute the vast modern sightings to the power of suggestion, if even a quarter are true you couldn’t walk through the woods without tripping on one.

• April 14, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Thanks for your comment. I’m well versed in cryptozoology and zoology. Your comment requires a considerable amount of time to address (which I don’t have). I do think you need to follow up with some science reference books and not just information from cryptozoology sites. Cryptozoology as is portrayed in the pop culture is not a science. But there is plenty of good questions to be answered and research to be done to figure out the various questions that remain.

BTW, I am a geologist and know my way around paleontology a bit.

• Justin M
            April 16, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Alright, well I’m done with your site anyways. May i recommend that you don’t accuse people of being unscientific without the ability to back it up (I don’t say ANYTHING lightly). Its very insulting, annoying, and cowardly to claim you don’t have time to point out what you claim to be false in my statement (you claim to already know and its just a matter of typing), yet you have time to post riveting tweets like:

“Never underestimate the power of hair color to make you feel excellent.”
            or
            “Slightly late to hair appointment as I shoved fish tacos in my mouth. #inahurry #spicy”

or the other five pages of nearly random tweets posted since then.

• sandy
      April 21, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Well said!

9. Simon
    April 16, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Have you heard of the Sierra Sounds captured by Ron Morehead and Al Berry? What are your thoughts on the sounds. I think in a previous post you indicated there’s no sound evidence of a Bigfoot… Thanks!

• April 16, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Yes I have heard of the sounds. There is no way to connect the sounds to a conclusion that it is Sasquatch. It could be a ghost, aliens, or a human playing games…

• brenden
        June 28, 2014 at 4:54 PM

the sounds were analyze and determined to be a unique language

• June 28, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Can you provide us with any evidence of that from a reputable source?

10. Steve Law
    April 16, 2014 at 5:56 AM

Sharon,
    I too am a Geologist, with over 25 years in the field doing mapping projects. I never once considered sasquatch to be real, until two years ago. While out on a project in northern Nevada, I had an encounter. The paradigm of the natural world I had in my mind was turned upside down! Until those who discount sasquatch as a possible living animal have an encounter, they will remain centered within their paradigm of nature.
    Sincerely, Steve

• BobM
      June 29, 2014 at 12:41 AM

You are a geologist. You know about rocks. How come a biologist, specifically a field biologist has never seen one? You’d think……

11. Bruce
    April 18, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Trail cameras are used the world over to capture video and still images of elusive species – from jaguars and gorillas to the Javan rhino – just like urban surveillance cameras are used to record actions of people who often do not want to be seen. If Standing had actually found a group of bigfoot hominids living on a particular mountain, as he says, and he wanted the world to know about it, he’d simply set up a network of motion-sensing cameras rigged for both day and night. Sooner or later he’d have convincing images. By contrast, the meager videos and images he promotes as evidence are a charade and reveal his game.

12. April 20, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Todd has been lambasted. His videos were manipulated by HIM. He reversed videos to make it appear as though he had footage that he didn’t. There are also many telling clues being teased out of his material, such as his first video actually being created after 8 pm in August and not October as claimed. This is based on the EXIF data of some of his images. Also, in the muppet head version, you will notice that the sun is shining, and yet there is no moisture of the snow on the rocks. The earth is warmer then the snow and you should ALWAYS find this when snow is on bare rock. There is more to this ploy of his that will be further exposed.

Here’s the link where Todd has been filleted on a stick. He’s done with his career in bigfooting and those associated need to reevaluate his claims.

Oh and you might check the IP Address of Justin, he talks very much like Todd who has used the same Shill methods before. There are only a few people in bigfoot on this planet who hold to the Giganto Theory.

• April 20, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Okay I will submit, there is a slight possibility that he filmed the phony video when there was snow on the ground. A totally irrelevant issue on the whole when you consider how he manipulated his videos and stills.

• Justin M
      April 21, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Ohhh you got me. It’s Todd here and you’re so right i hoaxed the video and wiped of that rock before i planted the mask, you’re superior intellect has foiled me. And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren’t for you meddling kids.

No, but really I’m not claiming he isn’t a hoax just that he isn’t an obvious hoax. Just like EVERY other decent “Bigfoot” video which are probably hoaxes but no one really knows. I don’t believe in Bigfoot but i think its POSSIBLE. Its POSSIBLE that a bipedal primate could have adapted to life in north America but highly IMPROBABLE.

Evidence that he is a hoaxer by people like you isn’t real evidence and is just as ignorant as saying THAT’S A BIGFOOT in the video. I personally could make a hoax that is IMPOSSIBLE to debunk (which people do, just to come out and show how easy it) and so can most slightly cleaver people. But come-on changing your ip address is just a google search away for everyone (and takes 5 min with a slow connection), i could’ve posted EVERYTHING on this page and you’d think its legit because a fluctuating ip address. If Todd can fake videos i’m sure he has the ability to change his ip address.

Your just like the people who think the U.S government is orchestrating mass murders to incite war (911 conspiracy bs) yet they’re so stupid that every asshole with a computer has the ability to definitely prove it. The truth is sometimes saying I DON’T KNOW is the correct response until REAL evidence is found or a comprehensive search pretty much makes it impossible (like the Searching for the Loch Ness Monster BBC (2003) proved Nessie was bull).

13. April 22, 2014 at 11:51 AM

My wondering if you are Todd is well founded even if you’re not. He used this method widely when he started. He was caught.

If you’re not him, my apologies. But really, its difficult to tell with your being a strong defender of his. Its one thing to log off your IP Address and wait for a new limited one upon logging in, but those were the SAME EXACT IP Address. Ie, the same computer.

Oh and just yesterday and this morning I have been arguing against a conspiracy by the US Govt being behind the attack on the Pentagon. How convenient you should mention this. It very ridiculous and the Taliban would like nothing more then to see Citizens of the US blame its own government.

The evidence is there that Todd manipulated his own videos using lighting, contrast, blurring, etc, to maximize them and to CREATE scenes that did not exist. Those are HIS videos my page links to, all you need to do is assess the evidence honestly to see what he did.

• Justin M
      April 23, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Well i also have defended Obama against opponents of the dream act, does that mean that i am Obama?

All kidding aside, I can make anyone appear to be a hoax with a little photo-shop and changing exif data. There’s always motive one way or another since every time you go to a link claiming that he is a hoax or claiming it’s legit, someone gets traffic cash or just blatantly require money for videos (which I’d imagine people who are telling the truth or not would do). So to me it truly doesn’t matter which videos are fake or real, if any.

Belief requires faith, which is why i don’t believe in Bigfoot. The gigatapithocus theory is a legitimate theory until it isn’t (more fossils are found) but your views on it are skewed because most people who talk about it are crazy ass Bigfoot FANATICS who also believe Bigfoot are everywhere and everything is a sign of them. Please argue why an animal that lived in a place and time, when MANY animals are theorized to have crossed a land bridge, couldn’t have crossed. (I truly will admit if I’m wrong). Also take into account the vast range in habitat and dating of only a handful of teeth and a jawbone. When most scientist theorize that they at lease had close encounters with homo-erectus i would argue that it takes belief to think it isn’t possible and not vise versa.

Just like believing in aliens, the vast majority of people who are educated in astronomy think its arrogant to think we are the only or most intelligent life-form. Yet, whenever someone says they believe in aliens they get compared to the ancient aliens bullshit or the anally-probed.

14. Indrid Cole
    April 23, 2014 at 4:27 PM

I had never even heard of Todd Standing before until I watched the Survivor Man show. It doesn’t give you much faith in the bigfoot video shots when each one is preceded by a statement like, “this video is either fake, or it’s definite proof that they exist”. Plus that shot of the baby bigfoot just sitting there perfectly still, merely blinking about every 10 seconds makes me wonder. I mean, if he was finally filming an actual bigfoot wouldn’t he do everything possible to keep on filming and follow it wherever it eventually went? Come on man, we’re supposed to accept 10 seconds of a face blinking behind a tree? Where’s the accompanying shot of it getting up and moving around?

• Justin M
      April 23, 2014 at 7:50 PM

I thought the same thing, but if he was able to hoax movement in another video and a blinking mask, why wouldn’t he have done it in that one?

15. John
    May 2, 2014 at 11:20 PM

I’m continually amazed how people who (A) Seem to know something about Giganto and (B) also know something about Sasquatch – including Dr. Meldrum could even attempt to suggest that Giganto IS Sasquatch – or even a distant cousin. No way – based on the known intelligent – dare I say super intelligent activity – Sasquatch represents and the countless evidence that exists equating bigfoot like animal appearances to be more human than primate. Not only that? The locomotion is all wrong too – again, more human than primate-like. And body structure. The list is endless. Even if fake? AT LEAST Todd has it right with the appearance of the creature not looking like Giganto! So kudos on that count! Check out the Hoopa Project, the research done there, and the eyewitness artistic sketches of what Native Americans see. I fall in line with the idea that Bigfoot is a descendant of Neanderthal or branched cousin or a human / hybrid of the same. It makes much more sense when compared with the existing evidence – even if some of it is probably hoaxed like Standings’ – than a Giganto like creature. Just an opinion.

• May 3, 2014 at 3:15 PM

There is zero solid evidence to support any of it so saying it doesn’t look like Giganto is not a plus. It’s all unsupported speculation. The bottom line with TS is that it’s not a real animal. It’s manufactured. So what it looks like is moot.

16. May 5, 2014 at 1:31 PM
    • Sam Hill
      June 17, 2014 at 1:54 AM

A commenter on that article blew Steve’s ‘analysis’ out of the water. Nice try.

17. Olivia
    May 7, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Well I have seen way better proof than this.Obviously this is fake.A Bigfoot would never just sit there and stare.

18. Indrid Cole
    May 7, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Maybe that staring was the Bigfoot’s failed attempt to exert his hypnotic mind control on Todd Standing.

19. BobM
    May 19, 2014 at 2:21 AM

It actually doesn’t matter much if the damned thing blinks or not, it’s there, it’s moving around brushing against bushes, shedding hair – you’d think anyone with half a brain and a little knowledge of science could collect some DNA from it. Now that might convince me.

20. May 25, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Has anyone watched the Nat Geo series (new, at least to me) Bigfoot: the New Evidence. Bigfoot was my favorite woo-woo as a teenager and I still have a soft spot, so I was watching, and there was the usual interviews with those who had seen Bigfoot – but also hair samples for DNA analysis. In the last few minutes I wasn’t expecting much but – surprise – results! Bears, cows, even a porcupine: real results from the DNA analyses of hairs. Even the one guy who claimed to have shot, killed, and saved a piece of Bigfoot skin-with-hair: it’s a BEAR! The host asked him point-blank: is this a hoax… but didn’t push the point.
    I didn’t think I’d ever see a popular cryptid TV show with actual results. Nat Geo – I’m pleased.

• BobM
      May 25, 2014 at 6:01 PM

There was a show where they had actual scientists explaining to various groups what evidence was. There were a group of guys who brought back ‘Bigfoot hair’ which turned out to be moss :-). Don’t know if that’s the same show. But certainly every source I’ve bothered to look at explains that all the hair comes back bison or bear or something.

21. Lucy
    June 1, 2014 at 6:21 PM

I that Les Stroud is honestly looking for an answer, but his choice in so called “Bigfoot experts” was poor. Todd standing seems to have a pre defined schedule as if he is taking Les to places he has set up before hand. I cannot explain the age of the tree structures, and would have fallen prey to Todd’s claims if it had not been for his “evidence”. The shot of the Bigfoot is crazy. Although we don’t know what the so called “Bigfoot” look like, I’m sure they don’t look like muppets photoshopped into a photo. Also the point about them not blinking is an excellent hole in the Bigfoot story. I am looking forward to Todd admitting his hoax.

22. Matt M.
    June 12, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Sharon,

Since discovering you and your blog/site I feel a breath of fresh air regarding the so-called paranormal.

My specific question is: will you fully elaborate on your opinion of the bigfoot images and videos from Todd Standing/Sylvanic Bigfoot? The world needs more scrutiny on this subject from a person who thinks like you!

It all seems so contrived.