Star Trek captain narrates anti-scientific film (Update: Sounds fishy)

Why? We don’t know. Geocentrism is just WEIRD.

‘Star Trek’ actress lends her gravitas to film promoting idea that sun revolves around Earth.

A new documentary film, narrated by a former Star Trek actress, promotes the long-ago disproven idea that the sun revolves around the Earth.

“Everything we think we know about our universe is wrong,” says actress Kate Mulgrew as she narrates the trailer for “The Principle.”

In addition to Mulgrew, who played Capt. Kathryn Janeway in “Star Trek: Voyager” and “Star Trek: Nemeis,” the film features several scientists, including Michio Kaku, Lawrence Krauss, and Max Tegmart.

In the trailer, the scientists discuss how the Earth’s unique characteristics make it well-suited for life, in comparison to other planets.

The article does not state whether or not Kate Mulgrew actually believes in the geocentric model of the Universe. And after 7 years on Star Trek (which is way more scientifically accurate that the Bible) I would hope she doesn’t.

Kate Mulgrew_ST-VOY

The film is partially funded by the controversial Robert Sungenis, who’s a known ultra-conservative and anti-Semitic. He’s previously claimed there is no evidence for the Holocaust and that Jews made a deal with the Devil to rule the world.

He also has a blog called “Galileo Was Wrong”. Oh, dear. Is she hard up for money or something? This is disappointing to many fans. It sounds like another “Expelled”-type sensational film.

Here’s the trailer for “The Principle”:

Tip: Dara O’Malley

Addition (8-Apr-2014): From Steve Novella’s Neurologica It echoes my Expelled association.

Sungenis has made a documentary that does document something useful – the notion that there is no belief so absurd that there isn’t someone who will not only believe it but dedicate their time and effort to promoting it. The human brain can get trapped in even the most astoundingly ridiculous belief, and can contort itself into a Gordian knot of logic and rationalizations.

There is also another lesson, one for science communicators. Carefully vet anyone asking you to be interviewed for their film. We should have learned this lesson from Expelled.

Addition (8-Apr-2014): From Kate Mulgrew’s Facebook page comes this message where she clarifies that she does not share the belief of geocentrism.

She even states she agrees with Lawrence Krauss’ stance on the issue. Coincidentally, Krauss too released a statement today about his participation in the film.

Scientist has no clue how he ended up in Holocaust-denier’s creationism documentary – Salon.com.

Thanks to our commenters for pointing this out.

22 comments for “Star Trek captain narrates anti-scientific film (Update: Sounds fishy)

1. Chris Howard
    April 7, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Well, that totally ruined that young adult crush!

Thanks DN!

*raises fists and head to the stars*
    “Kaaahhnn!!!!”

• eddi
      April 8, 2014 at 4:31 AM

Don’t give up hope (or Kate Mulgrew). Signs point to these people being lied to and then having their comments about the anthropic principle taken out of context.

2. Greg Simpson
    April 7, 2014 at 9:06 PM

I just wish the real scientists quoted in this film did a little background research into who was making it before agreeing to appear. Lawrence Kraus, Michio Kaku and Max Tegmark certainly wouldn’t have appeared otherwise!

• Lagaya1
      April 8, 2014 at 1:57 PM

According to Lawrence Kraus, he was never asked to appear. His footage was taken from somewhere else without his permission, and out of context. Probably true for the other legitimate scientists, as well.

• Lagaya1
        April 8, 2014 at 2:02 PM

For all who asked: Some clips of me apparently were mined for movie on geocentricism. So stupid does disservice to word nonsense. Ignore it.— Lawrence Krauss (@LKrauss1) April 8, 2014

3. Haldurson
    April 7, 2014 at 9:17 PM

There’s something known as the Anthropic principle, and it often offers the wrong notion that if conditions seem too perfect for our existence, that it must have been planned that way by some intelligence, when in fact you should be asking that if conditions are perfect for our existence, that where else would you think we would appear? If life and humanity were to evolve, where else would hit happen than someplace, some universe, where conditions happen to be conducive for our evolution. I don’t know if there are an infinite number of universes, but if there are, where else would life exist, than a place and time and reality where the conditions favor it? Our existence does NOT point to God, it just says that we exist because we can exist, and if we didn’t exist, we would not be here to point that out in the first place.

• Chris Howard
      April 7, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Anthropic Bias is rampant in theology.

I had a philosophy professor say “…it’s like claiming that ships were built for barnacles, and hot dogs were made for buns.”

4. April 7, 2014 at 9:30 PM

I’m reminded of the infamous movie “What The Bleep?” which was popular among the new-age peeps I knew at the time, but I never could get them to read the Scientific American review. I recall that many or most scientists interviewed for that movie were upset that their interviews were edited out of context and interspersed with other parts that tended to imply them saying some woo-woo stuff they weren’t saying or meaning.

I’m not familiar with the other scientists mentioned for THIS movie, but no doubt Michio Kaku will go along with whatever this movie tries to say, perhaps only complaining that it’s not far out enough.

• Lee
      April 8, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Bleep was conceived and its production funded by William Arntz, who co-directed the film along with Betsy Chasse and Mark Vicente; all three were students of Ramtha’s School of Enlightenment. All the scientist in the film were greatly perturbed to see everything they had to say was edited out of context. I had a girlfriend at the time that wished me to watch this. I watched for ten minutes and pronounced it to be devoid of intelligence and then researched where the money came from. That account for this atrocity. Completely craptastic. I am sure Mulgrew did it for the bucks. She is an actress and it is a job.

5. April 7, 2014 at 11:48 PM

What? Really? Geocentrism is really a thing?

6. Brandon
    April 8, 2014 at 2:39 AM

At first this sounded like a mockumentary of pseudoscience but it looks like a movie about the anthropic principle. What a waste.

7. busterggi
    April 8, 2014 at 8:38 AM

As the former Mrs. Columbo she ought to know how to find clues that lead to a proper solution.

8. One Eyed Jack
    April 8, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Geocentrists! Heliocentrists! Put down your pitchforks.

No need for dissension here. The truth lies in the middle. Embrace Barycentrism.

9. oLO
    April 8, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Hard to judge a movie by it´s trailer.
    A little to much excitement here imo ;)
    Both Kaku and Krauss are fringe theoretical scientists. Both are dealing with elusive theories, not too dissimilar from certain believe structures. Also, I doubt anyone would consider Mulgrew a relevant scientific voice – she is as much an expert in Physics as Tom cruise is a religious counselor.

• April 8, 2014 at 11:35 AM

See my addition above, the Neurologica link talks about the Krauss and Kaku konnections.

10. Frederick
    April 8, 2014 at 3:07 PM

*Atomic face palm* *head explode* … *fall dead o the floor* That’s his metaphorically the effect on me…

Seriously… wow. Can we vote already for the baddest news of 2014? cause this is the one
    Why so serious astrophysicist are in that film? I guess they were Lied too by the people who intervewd them, since they are enforcing a ideology and are not promoting truth, they don,t care about ethic. But Science people Please, do some reseach of why they are interviewing you, and for WHO. I guess they will all issue statements soon explaining what when wrong and how the statements where misinterpreted and manipulated.

11. April 8, 2014 at 4:08 PM

So, after Krauss, Kate Mulgrew denies, too:

I understand there has been some controversy about my participation in a documentary called THE PRINCIPLE. Let me assure everyone that I completely agree with the eminent physicist Lawrence Krauss, who was himself misrepresented in the film, and who has written a succinct rebuttal in SLATE. I am not a geocentrist, nor am I in any way a proponent of geocentrism. More importantly, I do not subscribe to anything Robert Sungenis has written regarding science and history and, had I known of his involvement, would most certainly have avoided this documentary. I was a voice for hire, and a misinformed one, at that. I apologize for any confusion that my voice on this trailer may have caused.

Kate Mulgrew

12. RobH
    April 8, 2014 at 5:17 PM

“Geocentrism is just WEIRD.”

In all seriousness, why? I have friends who believe that Noah was 900 years old and housed pairs of all of the animals on the Earth on a boat for 40 days as God flooded the Earth with water. I have friends who think men and dinosaurs walked around together.

What makes these guys special?

They do seem to cater to the dumb though. I was trying find out more about them and came across http://galileowaswrong.blogspot.com/ and noticed they have a book called “Geocentrism 101″ that they want to sell. The blurb about the book seems to be mostly assuring people that it doesn’t have too many pages, it’s in a big font, and there are a lot of pictures. lol

• eddi
      April 9, 2014 at 12:58 AM

No “Isis Unveiled” for this lot. You sell what your audience will buy. And there’s always an audience. (eye roll/face palm)

13. Travis
    April 10, 2014 at 7:17 AM

Heh, I can’t wait to see the imdb rating. I suspect it will go lower even than Expelled, because even fewer people are stupid enough to believe this than those who disbelieve evolution. Poor Krauss