Pennsylvania Chainsaw Miracle

In a mix of luck, fast-acting helpers and medical attention, what would have been a gruesome accident turned out WAY better than you could have imagined.

James Valentine, 21, survived a work accident that sent a chainsaw blade deep into his neck and shoulder very narrowly missing the vital artery to the brain.

Cutting it close: Pa man survives accident with chainsaw in his neck –

Valentine was on his job with Adler Tree Service in Gibsonia, north of Pittsburgh, and was performing maintenance work on a pine tree when the chainsaw “kicked back,” Becca Valentine said.

The blade sawed into flesh instead of wood. Valentine’s co-workers were able to detach the blade from its motor, but they left the blade and chain where it was — in Valentine, about a quarter of an inch from the carotid artery that supplies blood to the head — and they held the blade in place until emergency responders arrived.

He had been in a harness half way up the tree. A coworker brought him down. Had they removed the blade, he likely would have bled to death. He remained conscious throughout the ordeal.

After an hour of surgery, he is in stable condition at the hospital. While he sustained injuries to muscles and soft tissue around the shoulder, there was no major blood loss.

Modern medicine is miraculous! And it sounds like the workers should be commended for their safety response.

Valentine's x-ray shows the chain and blade embedded in his shoulder.

YIKES! Valentine’s x-ray shows the chain and blade embedded in his shoulder.

  6 comments for “Pennsylvania Chainsaw Miracle

  1. Andrew W
    April 2, 2014 at 9:49 AM

    So… In Texas, they have Chainsaw Massacres, in Pennsylvania, Miracles. I guess then New York State must just be Chainsaw Indifference…. 😀

  2. Motunrayo
    April 2, 2014 at 12:01 PM


  3. xxicenturyboy
    April 2, 2014 at 2:46 PM

    “Somebody was looking over me for sure…” Whoever that was should have looked sooner to avoid the accident altogether. Stupid Baal!

  4. April 2, 2014 at 3:38 PM

    That’s some fast thinking. Must have been some move bringing him down from a tree, harnessed and all, with blade/chain still in his neck. Wonder where did those folks learned THAT.

  5. knightofbob
    April 2, 2014 at 8:23 PM

    According to the second article, he climbed down on his own, and police administered the first aid.

  6. April 3, 2014 at 7:40 AM

    What’s really good about this situation is his co-workers’ response. That saved his life. People working in dangerous professions aren’t always trained in emergency procedures, and first aid courses just don’t cut it in this type of situation. He was lucky. Very, very lucky.

Comments are closed.