Kings of Leon fans exposed to measles at Seattle show

Rock on, old diseases!

Measles At A Rock Concert Goes Viral In A Bad Way.

A young woman at that concert in Seattle has come down with measles, which can be spread for days by a person who’s infected but not yet sick. That’s bad news for the thousands of people who shared the concert hall with her, or were at the many other places she went that week.

The young woman became contagious on March 26, after visiting a family with measles cases that were linked to an outbreak in British Columbia. Unaware she was infected, she went to work at a bakery, filled her car up at a gas station, went to the concert, went to Pike Place Market and went out for sushi. All the while she was spreading viruses in the air.

It takes one week to 17 days after exposure to become ill, so people who were at the Key Arena for that concert might still get sick this week.

Not surprising. Measles is a highly contagious respiratory disease. The current outbreaks are blamed on anti-vaccination sentiment that has allowed a return of a little known condition that causes harm, even possibly death.

We’ve had a few stories of measles scares – on public transportation, returning from other countries.

We could have had it licked by now. If only…

Tip: Skeptical Inquirer

COMMENTING ON SOMEONE ELSE'S SITE IS NOT A RIGHT, IT'S A PRIVILEGE. READ AND UNDERSTAND THE COMMENT POLICY BEFORE SUBMITTING. NONSENSE IS NOT PERMITTED.

  3 comments for “Kings of Leon fans exposed to measles at Seattle show

  1. Banana
    April 9, 2014 at 11:10 AM

    Hey, I was wondering if someone smarter than me could educate me a bit. I understand how she can get measles if she or her parents avoided vaccinations, but won’t anyone she potentially infected be okay as long as they’ve had their shot(s)?

    • Chris
      April 9, 2014 at 12:05 PM

      It depends. If someone gets two MMR vaccines there is a 99% they are immune. In a crowd the size of a concert there are surely a certain number of people who are in the remaining 1% that the vaccine did not create immunity. Then there are those who have organ transplants or are in cancer treatment who have compromised immune systems. Also in her wanderings among the city’s tourist sites she would have encountered babies under a year old, who are not old enough to be given the MMR.

      • Banana
        April 9, 2014 at 1:40 PM

        Thank you! That makes a lot of sense. For some reason I assumed the shot always worked, but it makes sense that it doesn’t always.

Comments are closed.