Genoskwa project imagines an stone-skinned Bigfoot

Not only do you have some work to do in providing acceptable evidence for Bigftoot, but now someone needs to explain clearly to me how you get a Bigfoot relative out of Native American legends about stone giants.

As is the way of amateur research and investigation groups (ARIGS), they will present their research to the public as if it holds scientific cachet.

Poland library hosts Bigfoot event.

On April 12, the Poland library hosted an event put on by the Genoskwa Project, a group devoted to proving the existence of Bigfoot. The four-hour event featured researchers sharing stories of sightings, displaying foot casts of Bigfoot, and photos, audio and video of Bigfoot evidence. A question and answer period followed the event. “The word Genoskwa is a Native American term,” Genoskwa Project co-founder Dan Baker said. “It means ‘stonish giants.’ We think the reason for that is because the Genoskwa would go and they would mud and dirt into their fur and when it dried, it would turn hard and make it look like stone.

This group appears to characterize Genoskwa is as a larger, more aggressive relation of Bigfoot (a pseudo-fact that travels around the internet). The Native legend and lore (Iroquois and the Seneca) are the basis for this belief; the 10 ft giants attack and kill prey including decapitation, and possible even account for raids on villages where they took humans away.

So, from these stories of mythical proportion, the group displays “evidence” of Bigfoot, none of which is definitive of a Bigfoot let alone a connection to the animal of legend (which had no doubt a considerable spiritual component). The Genoskwa project say they take a scientific view of the Bigfoot subject. But frankly, it’s not at all scientific to speculate the behavior and characteristics of a hypothetical real animal based on ancient legend.
genoskwa

What I see of the Genoskwa is repeated without source material. That should be fixed if they wish to have the story even considered as serious research material. More importantly, are there reports of bigfoot with armor-like skin? What is the basis to even suggest the Genoskwa is real and not just a native story. Interpretations such as this are shot through with pitfalls and unwarranted assumptions.

The evidence for Bigfoot is very weak. Is it reasonable to extrapolate ANOTHER mystery creature based on legend? This is a great story, a myth. It is baseless to portray it as real to the public who have a tendency to believe things with REALLY lame and highly disputable evidence just because it sounds kind of cool.

And here is a pro tip: Whenever you see a research group (for whatever kind of paranormal or mystery claim) say they are dedicated to “PROVE” something exists, turn the other way and leave. That is an unscientific and amateurish belief-based approach fraught with bias.

12 comments for “Genoskwa project imagines an stone-skinned Bigfoot

1. Paul Robinson
    April 26, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Ah i have a cunning plan Lord Blackadder – I’ll advertise a Kickstarter project to prove the French “Beast of Gevaudin” exists from wikipedia photos of woodcuts & wolves. As the French say “et mon cul est poulet”. Great using French insults, but sometimes you really need Anglo Saxon English to swear at crap like this.

• Brian
      April 26, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Baldrick, you’ve got a better chance of showing Dyer as an upstanding, honest member of society. Tho it would seem to prove your ancestry is from the primate side of things. I am thinking howler monkeys.

<= Blackadder Fan. :D

Waitaminit… Naw. Couldn't be.

2. Indrid Cole
    April 26, 2014 at 3:52 PM

It always amazes me how the “experts” compile so many details and facts about a creature that there is no proof that it even exists. I feel sorry for anyone who may have had an authentic encounter, because they are grouped in with all the scam artists and looked at through the same camera lense.

3. Paul Robinson
    April 26, 2014 at 4:22 PM

I risk being lumped in with the crazies, but i do believe a small population of solitary & small family groups of ancient inter species (trying to say between modern homo sapiens & an ancient offshoot) may, just may exist in diverse parts of the planet, but not in the huge numbers seem to be reported. Again it’s in the high 90% are misidentifications, & not enough info to use as proof something else exists. This is a supposedly intelligent creature more akin to man. Look at how reclusive many woodland/forest/prarie creatures are, & hard to find, though reasonably numerous. I’m not going to drop into some of Lon Strickler’s multidimensional beings stuff, but again making a melange of modern urban,or in this case wild country legends, the “paranormal” skew creates a meme in the mind of the percipients of something strange. When i first arrived here in France from Northern Ireland with a weeks beard, & hair to middle of back, i had a close call with animal control at Roissy airport, as to weather i was animal or human. Misidentification is the majority of causes, when, isolated in an alien enviroment, surrounded by cover where anything can be hiding. The noises, or alternately, & perhaps more the silences in the wild, can spook folks more & creat all sorts of scenarios in your mind. I have a bucket load of debunking in my e mail i don’t share simply because it’s inter squatch hunter bitching. All have their points, but like a lot of the para group stuff, there is little serious research, just slagging off other groups & “investigators”. I never take selfies or photos in the mirror, as it may perpetuate the European hairy woodwoose mythology, when i crawl out of my pit in the morning, before caffiene consumption, & i morph back to a human & handsome prince. I brush with the “para world” but am on the fringes of both sceptis & believers workds, as i have experienced the inexplicable, & refuse to refute it does exist. I do however question strongly’, & often seemingly insultingly & sarcastically, peoples’ experiences. Some do however pass examination, & are inexplicable, not just for lack of evidence. Scepticism can get just as over the top & contradictory as the testomonies at times. I however greatly value the input of the sceptics. Without them too few weird stuff believers fall for everything, & have no rationality. Sorry waffling, & ranting on a bit. Between 2 worlds, seen & experienced very weird crap that can not be rationally explained, despite being my own biggest critic, & a great sceptic & debunker of others’ experiences, despite saying it’s not their fault it’s a deleusive, misidentification.

• Indrid Cole
      April 26, 2014 at 8:07 PM

I just read a very interesting book called “Missing 411″ which is a collection of really weird abductions in remote areas and national parks. The author doesn’t come out and say it’s Bigfoot that’s responsible but many of the surviving abductees stories tend to lean that way.

• Brian
      April 26, 2014 at 9:04 PM

I have seen and experienced stuff that would scare the hair off a statue. A lot of the stuff online is hard to swallow (he said as he posted online). Too bad there isn’t a way to tease out the hoaxers from the genuine and the people who have delusions. for example- I have seen a solid ball of light. Think frosted light bulb with no screw in part and pretty much flying slowly and stately. This actually happened- but I didn’t have a camera with me. I can still describe it to a T, but who is going to believe me? (not a lot of people, that’s for sure!) My wife has had genuine missing time from a garbage run to the dumpster- the LONGEST 5 minutes she ever had. Didn’t notice a thing. Until I pointed out the time difference. There- a camera is going to be no use… it happened, but I have no proof. A UFO (see my post on the Abduction support group on this site), A ghost battle where I checked the ridge it was going on behind, and you couldn’t put a chair back there, let alone pyrotechnics. Again… what proof? Not a bit.
      *Sigh*
      The bigfoot end of things…. We had a close encounter with something smelly, asthmatic, and barely 20-30 feet in the woods from us. Pictures? Again… No camera. We aren’t sure what the heck that was. A bear would have eaten the dog and used us for toothpicks and a stress toy.

I couldn’t prove any of this. I wish I could. I am sure the genuine observers of such stuff would be in the same boat, and having to compete against the delusional (for lack of a better term) and hoaxers makes it even more of a pain.

4. April 26, 2014 at 8:26 PM

The “more aggressive” Bigfoot. Wow. Good thing we have all those official medical records of Genoskwa inflicted injuries to back that up.

5. H.K. Fauskanger
    April 26, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Here in Scandinavia we have stories about Trolls. Same thing, really: big, hairy, dangerous, rarely-seen, vaguely human-like monsters that dwell somewhere out there in the wild.

At some point in the last 400 years, people stopped believing that these creatures really existed. Instead they became the stuff of fairy-tale and legend — in the 1800s even romantic symbols of folklore. Nowadays, every tourist shop will provide you will all the cutesy Troll figurines you can desire.

Just because traditional folklore (in any society) features giants or hairy monsters, this does not mean that this is some wonderful ancient wisdom or tradition confirming the actual existence of such creatures. Far more likely, they are just the local version of trolls.

6. m-k
    April 26, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Wait a minute! I always thought Bigfoot was a western critter but Iroquois and Seneca are eastern tribes.

• Brian
      April 26, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Bigfoot is in more places than American Express, it seems…

7. April 27, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Perhaps it’d be best to think of these folks as engaging in a kind of collaborative literary effort. Rewriting the mythology like populating a fantasy novel with details and characters in real time. Do the creatures live in vast underground caverns? Can they induce temporary amnesia or use an unknown hypnotic art? Is there a connection to another dimension? We’ll just have to wait till they get everything ironed out before we learn the secret.