Cell block psychic continues tradition of grief vampirism

TV continues to go lower and get sicker. At least this piece has some warranted criticism included.

‘Cell Block Psychic’ TV Show Is ‘Abhorrent’ To Those Who Work With Victims.

A new TV series featuring a psychic who allegedly talks to spirits connected with convicted murderers and crime victims is coming under fire from those who work with their grieving families.

“Cell Block Psychic” features Maine-based medium Vicki Monroe attempting to communicate with the otherworld to provide closure to the loved ones of murder victims.

Not only does Monroe claim to talk to the dead, she also claims to have victims find “closure”. But people who are trained to deal with this kind of grief are disgusted, as are skeptics.

Kristy Dyroff of the National Organization for Victim Assistance finds the whole concept of the show “abhorrent.” She thinks the series wrongly suggests that people who have lost a loved one to a violent crime can find “closure.”

This is harmful and takes advantage of troubled people. It also promises false hope for many victims of crime and presents an image to the public that psychic mediums are real. She even admits to cold reading! Astounding. She says she hasn’t counted how many cases she’s solved. I bet I can…

One thing I hope is that this show dies an early death. It premiers April 21 on the Investigation Discovery channel.

Comments are tightly moderated. Please follow the Comment Policy.

9 comments for “Cell block psychic continues tradition of grief vampirism

1. Indrid
    April 17, 2014 at 8:37 PM

I’m disappointed at ID for this. I usually like their programing.

2. J
    April 18, 2014 at 2:07 AM

“Monroe describes her method of speaking with the dead as “cold reading.”” That’s an interesting definition…

• BobM
      April 20, 2014 at 12:53 AM

I said much the same thing on the Huffpo. Funnily enough, if you go look at the comments there, there’s not a great deal of support for psychics. Perhaps it’s growing up :-).

3. April 18, 2014 at 9:53 AM

In my opinion, she’s just victimizing victims. I’ll believe she’s a “Cell Block Psychic” when they lock her in a cell block.

4. Lee
    April 18, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Bottom line, maximize viewers and make money. It is inconsequential whatever damage is created and imparted to the main and peripheral victims. Media does an unimaginable job with a daily deluge of misery and pain and hopelessness in which most people are swept away in. Just cut through the crap and televise paid gladiatorial matches to the death in pay per view format. It will make a fortune.

5. Alex F
    April 21, 2014 at 9:45 PM

I was such a fan of Investigation Discovery until this show. I enjoyed watching forensic science applied to solve crimes. I can’t believe they would turn to using cold (and probably a lot of hot) reading to exploit victims’ families. I’m disgusted.

6. Christy
    May 9, 2014 at 7:56 PM

I am really disappointed that ID is airing this mess. I do believe some people may have certain gifts, but not this one. What she is doing, I could do. She never finds the body and she goes back and tells the families that their love ones want them to move on and be happy…..without the body of course.

• reply22
      June 6, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments, Christy. What this “cell block psychic” does is interview the family, law enforcement personnel, the imprisoned killer, and then goes to the alleged burial place. What psychic gift would one need to interview, and as you stated, Christy, return to the family without the body? The answer: None! With the exception of this show, I love the ID channel.

7. Dave L
    May 9, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Very sad presentation for any network yet ID. Can’t wait until it’s run it’s course.