Alicia Silverstone – Clueless about children’s health

Just when we manage to get Jenny to see the light and dial back on health advice, here comes her successor.

Alicia Silverstone’s Son Has ‘Never Had a Drop of Medicine’ – ABC News.

Alicia Silverstone has long been a proponent of attachment parenting.

Now, she has written a book about it. In “The Kind Mama,” Silverstone opened up about raising her nearly 3-year-old son, Bear.

“He’s never been sick-sick, just feeling a little off from time to time. And he’s never had a drop of medicine,” Silverstone wrote. “Because his body is a super-clean, healthy machine, it can defend itself against and flush out all the nasty stuff much more quickly than a baby whose diet isn’t as kind…”

Silverstone, 37, advocates for a clean, vegan diet, and even includes recipes in her book. She also wades into the vaccination debate a bit (“There is increasing anecdotal evidence from doctors who have gotten distressed phone calls from parents claiming their child was “never the same” after receiving a vaccine,” she wrote) and warns parents against overmedicating their children.

Oh, puhleez! Another self-important, know-it-all Mommy who has a Google U education and feels fit to tell the rest of us how horrible we are because our kids eat meat and get antibiotics when they are ill.

The commentators on this piece have it. They note he is only 3, and can lead a sheltered life for now but what about when he interacts with other kids? Sounds like he may live in a crystal clean environment and THAT is not good either. Also, hygiene and diet do not prevent contagious diseases. Will he have to wear a surgical mask all the time? How is a vegan diet better? Kids can die or not develop correctly if they are not fed a proper diet. Our brains need the fat, like in meats, to develop correctly.

But the worst part of all this, including her anti-vax sentiments, is that she writes a book about her unscientific, unsupported ideas and will influence other moms to be just as ignorant and clueless as she is. Don’t take health advice from celebrities.

25 comments for “Alicia Silverstone – Clueless about children’s health

1. One Eyed Jack
    April 17, 2014 at 4:15 PM

My meat-eating, vaccinated child can beat up your vegan, unvaccinated child.

I’ve given up logical discussions with this type. We’re taking it straight to the playground.

2. Perry Bulwer
    April 17, 2014 at 4:19 PM

As Sharon points out, living in super clean environments does not guarantee good health, and may even contribute to bad health. I wonder what Alicia means by “his body is super clean” and if she understands what the human microbiome is and does?

And what the heck does “a clean vegan diet” mean?

• ZombieBear
      April 17, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Its where you have an autoclave and sterilize all vegetables and wheat before using. She may also have giant electromagnets to pull out metals from her food and water, along with a distillation unit so only pure H2O is put into her son. He has never had a poo in his life.

• Perry Bulwer
        April 17, 2014 at 7:13 PM

This super clean thing is so bizarre to me that I can’t tell if you’re pulling my leg or if people actually do that to their veggies. I grew up pulling carrots and green onions out of the garden and eating them on the spot without washing them, just as I would do with wild fruit trees and berries. A pure childhood joy I doubt her son will ever get to experience.

• Brian
          April 17, 2014 at 9:28 PM

I hope you at least washed the dirt off…! Who the heck likes dirt with their food? Especially the grit.

• Perry Bulwer
            April 17, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Sure, the obvious dirt. But a little dirt doesn’t hurt.

I was just reminiscing further on that. Throughout my childhood I played a lot outside in all kinds of environments, playing on lawns and fields and forests. I used to love to pick clover flowers and suck on their nectar, clover flowers on lawns where dogs and who knows what else did their business. I also spent a period of my adult life many years ago dumpster diving for food. It sounds grosser than it was. I don’t know about today, but back then pretty much every supermarket in my part of the world threw out tons of edible food. I’m just saying, the super clean thing seems more bizarre to me, I suppose because of my experiences.

• Brian
              April 18, 2014 at 6:41 AM

The super clean thing isn’t winning any votes with me, either. That kid is in for a rough ride…

• CLamb
            April 18, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Soft-billed birds like dirt with their food. Lacking the ability to chew they need bits of hard stuff in their gizzard to grind up the food.

3. Kat Haigh
    April 17, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Living in a superclean environment means that the immune system doesn’t get trained to recognize pathogens. That in turn can be a major contributor to allergies. Is that better than the occasional snuffles?

4. gewisn
    April 17, 2014 at 6:59 PM

She is starting a Vegan breastmilk bank for vegan mothers who cannot breastfeed.
    If it is breastmilk, it is not Vegan.

Come to think of it, in utero, your baby fed on an animal’s blood!

• April 17, 2014 at 7:22 PM

She also allegedly ate her placenta.

• Brian
        April 17, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Before I decide to blow chunks… how very ‘vegan’ of her. *hurgle*.

“They note he is only 3, and can lead a sheltered life for now but what about when he interacts with other kids?” This kid is 3- and he doesn’t interact with other kids??? My kid is ONE. Since she has been walking a few months ago, she has interacted with kids, or at least been exposed to the notion, being she was like 9-10 months old, and such a concept was a little beyond her at the time. She has been exposed to dirt, vaccines, dogs, cats, kids, more dirt, foods of all sorts… and we have a happy, HEALTHY, intelligent 1 year old. She makes the ‘I only looked away for one second’ sentence a stiff reality.

We are a low to middle income family- Well far ‘below’ Ms. Silverstone’s income- and we can raise a kid that could actually surpass hers, and probably has.

5. Lagaya1
    April 17, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Of course, there are plenty of fats available to vegans. Nuts are great sources. Only B12 needs to be supplemented on a vegan diet, although D is probably a good idea as well.

That said, I wouldn’t take advice from a celebrity on anything.

6. Travis Thompspn
    April 17, 2014 at 8:49 PM

She could try spending a week at a day care centre and see how healthy here kids are at the end of it.

7. Andrew
    April 18, 2014 at 9:23 AM

No one should be able to write a parenting book with only a three year old. As others have noted what will happen to him when he starts to get into large groups of kids? This goes for disease as well as diet. How does she know she isn’t going so overboard on her diet with him that he won’t rebel at the first chance he gets and order a meat lovers pizza? That was a silly example but my point is that you can’t write a parenting book after having only just left the baby phase.

8. Lee
    April 18, 2014 at 10:35 AM

And I believed she was only acting in the movie “Clueless”. Amazing!

9. busterggi
    April 18, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Alicia Silverstone was in ‘Batman and Robin’ and hasn’t made a good decision since.

10. Lagaya1
    April 18, 2014 at 7:54 PM

I agree wholeheartedly when it comes to anti-vax condemnation. I scoff with everyone else when celebrities give health advice. What I don’t understand is the anti-vegan sentiment. In our fat, sick, America, where our doctors, our government, and our insurance providers are urging us to eat more vegetables and less meat, why is veganism so difficult for people to accept? Are we just too wedded to our current diet to understand how unhealthy it is? I’m not saying all vegan diets are better. Chips and beer is a vegan diet, too. But sometimes people who try to eat more healthfully are mocked for it. I don’t get that at all.

• April 18, 2014 at 8:10 PM

People mock veganism because it’s not a [i]health[/i] choice, it’s a [i]political[/i] choice. I’ve got no problem with a vegetarian diet, but when one puts a moralistic, ethical overlay on nutrition, I believe one has moved into religion rather than science.

• April 18, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Dang…when will I learn that DN uses these for HTML coding!

• Chris Howard
          April 19, 2014 at 1:04 PM

You just did. ;-)

11. Stuart
    April 22, 2014 at 10:51 AM

People mock veganism when it is pushed upon 36 month old infants. When it is an adult making an informed decision, that is a different matter.

• Mike
      April 24, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Well, in fairness, pretty much whatever you feed your 36 month old is “pushed upon” them. It’s not like my 3 year old is choosing his menu. :)

• May 1, 2014 at 4:07 AM

Exactly. I hated being forced to chew gristle when I was a child. That’s probably why I’m a vegetarian now: impossible to swallow too large chunks of gristle, chewing and chewing… horrible torture at the dinner table.

However, I fail to see why the “political” aspects of diet shouldn’t be considered. Vegan diet means everyone in the world can have more than enough to eat. It’s impossible for the whole world to eat a meat rich diet as in the so-called developed world.

And slaughtering intelligent animals like pigs to eat them is a pretty horrible thing if you think about it. Don’t blame the vegans if you find it makes you feel guilty.

12. Perry Bulwer
    May 1, 2014 at 11:28 AM

“It’s impossible for the whole world to eat a meat rich diet as in the so-called developed world.”

But not if the developed world develops a taste for insects. Then the entire population would have the same meat rich diet. There are many benefits to human and environmental health by eating insects instead of mammals, and even fish considering the collapsing wild fish stocks around the world. Two billion people already eat insects. The rest of our already over populated world may have no choice but to join them.