Several people questioned whether it was real. Having had an attack cat of my own once (I stick to dogs these days), I find this story scary as well as hilarious. I know people say the cat owns you but this is going too far.

Vicious pet cat traps Oregon couple, who call 911.

Portland police had to be called in to subdue a 22-pound house cat that trapped its owners inside their bedroom after attacking their baby.

The baby was not injured in the Sunday incident.

The man, woman, baby and dog hid in a bedroom while the police say they heard the cat screeching over the phone. They captured the cat with a snare. The owners said he had a history of violence. We once reported on a dog that supposedly snapped as well. Are some animals just not right in the brain? Brains can go haywire. This is not far fetched.

Regardless, they still retain the cat which I say is a very bad idea since you should not have a pet that is the threat to you. Does it perceive the baby as a threat to it’s well being? Which is more important, the baby or the cat? It’s not a person – time for it to go.

He looks so innocent.

He looks so innocent.

Tip: Cherry Teresa

UPDATE (20-Mar-2014) The cat will appear on “My cat from hell”. Cat whisperer heading to Oregon after attack.

Cats don’t become ferocious felines that turn on their families for no reason, says the cat behavior expert, who is heading to Portland soon to work with the 4-year-old part-Himalayan pet named Lux. Galaxy will film the visit for his show’s fifth season, which kicks off April 26.

“Every parental site on the Internet blames the cat for this confrontation. Every pet site blames the family,” he said, adding that something is wrong if the cat is acting out. “We need to step away from the hysteria. There is a story behind all this. Don’t assume anything.”

He made a good point by saying there could be something physically wrong with the cat such as an absessed tooth or hormone problem. But the family can adjust as can the cat. I’d actually watch this. I’m curious what could be the issue. But it does mean they are keeping the cat.

Comments are tightly moderated. Please follow the Comment Policy.

15 comments for “When the psychotic cat takes over, it’s time to lay down the law (UPDATE: Therapy)

1. Jim1950a
    March 11, 2014 at 1:45 PM

If they keep it, no more 911 for them.

2. Roland Alexander
    March 11, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Normal cats don’t behave like this. Sounds like this animal is under great stress. Who knows how these people treated it?

3. Lee Crawford
    March 11, 2014 at 11:28 PM

It is amazing how quickly a pet such as a cat will begin to assimilate the stress taking place in its environment and begins to act out. Take a look at cat behaviorist Jackson Galaxy. It never ceases to amaze me how he has to solve a problem the majority of the time taking place between the owners. He patches that problem and the cats calm considerably.

4. hominid
    March 12, 2014 at 1:25 AM

Considering the guy kicked it before it snapped…

• March 12, 2014 at 8:58 AM

How do you know?

• Eve
        March 12, 2014 at 12:01 PM

The baby pulled the cat’s tail. The cat scratched the baby. The father kicked the cat “in the rear.” He said so on the 911 call. ABC News.

• March 12, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Ah, good to know. Sounds like a family that DOES NOT FIT with a cat around.

5. Brandon
    March 12, 2014 at 1:42 AM

My favorite part of this story is that the dog and the father hid from the cat. If I was the 911 dispatcher, I would have assumed it was some sort of big cat like a tiger rather than an ordinary housecat and I would have laughed when I found out the embarrassing truth.

• eddi
      March 12, 2014 at 4:11 AM

Don’t laugh. A house cat going full out like that will do damage. And being clawed and bitten is no fun. I speak as one who was there. Trying to rescue a trapped cat, he went off on me and I just avoided stitches. Threw a blanket over him and he stopped. He had been carved up in a fight and was in no mood to go quietly.

It’s local story to me. A skim of the news says the cat is at a shelter and is going to undergo training before it’s returned.

6. One Eyed Jack
    March 12, 2014 at 9:41 AM

FWIW, psychotic cat is redundant.

7. Mike Xeno
    March 12, 2014 at 10:36 AM

The problem here may be that a cat will sometimes see a new baby as a rival cat, and will try to assert its dominance over it. When it happens between two cats, this sort of dominance game involves scratching, biting, and other forms of aggression, and it will continue until one of the cats submits – which, of course, the baby is incapable of doing in a way a cat will understand. A cat scratch in the wrong place can blind a baby; a cat scratch ANYWHERE can lead to a serious infection which may be fatal to an infant. These people are being borderline criminally negligent for keeping a cat which has shown these behaviors in a household with a baby.

I had to re-home a pair of cats once because one of them – a formerly very gentle, loving cat – tried to dominate my baby girl. It was sad for us, but it had to be done because our first responsibility is to our baby. (We re-homed both of our two cats even though only one was having issues, because they were extremely close and it would have been traumatic to separate them.)

8. Chris
    March 12, 2014 at 2:39 PM

The family is going to get therapy for the cat.

9. lawn
    March 12, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Reminds me of this:

Sung to the tune of “My Grandfather’s Clock.”

10. Rand
    March 12, 2014 at 7:12 PM

When my daughter was born, we introduced her to my wife’s cat (who her mother was taking care of at the time). Although the cat seemed ok at first, it went totally ballistic when the baby started to cry. The cat was literally climbing me to try to get at the baby. Luckily, the baby was still in the car seat at the time, so I could hand her off to deal with the cat. Tore me up pretty bad while I was trying to restrain it (blood all over). It was extremely determined to get at the baby. Kitty never came home. Still lives at Grandma’s 10 years later. The kids are still terrified of it, although she’s old and pretty mellow now, and hasn’t attacked anyone in years.

I can totally believe how frightening a crazed cat can get around a baby, still having scars from such an experience myself.

11. March 19, 2014 at 9:56 AM

He’s been sent to the pound. Really, the family should NOT get it back, it’s not a good fit for their household. He’d be happier somewhere else. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/oregon-terror-cat-pound-article-1.1725863