The Strange remains the same for 12 March 2014

“Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.”

800-year-old monk found poking out of cliff face – Telegraph.

Outside the body our memories fail us.

ANOTHER paranormal TV show, participants wanted. This is getting SO old. NOW CASTING: TV Series Seeking Paranormal Investigators and Experts in the Unexplained: RealityWanted.com.

It’s awfully windy today…

idoubtit

Editor and owner of Doubtful News. Writer, specializing in science and society, science policy and education.

9 comments for “The Strange remains the same for 12 March 2014

1. John
    March 13, 2014 at 3:15 AM

Would love to see a genuine, scientific, rational-thinking ghost hunt show. One that goes into detail of trying to find rational, sane and realistic explanations for the unexplained. Ghost hunting by credible scientists. Not a bunch of easily scared kids in the dark, talking to shadows.
    I actually think it would make good television (If there actually is such a thing) And it would educate.

Ah… I can dream.

2. John
    March 13, 2014 at 3:17 AM

PS. Thanks Sharron for your constant dedication to DN. The world is a saner place with you around. One of the most awesome sites on the webz.

• March 13, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Thanks. Greatly appreciated. Many days its hard not to just give up. (Others might if they saw the trashed comments. :-) )

• John
        March 13, 2014 at 9:53 PM

It’s your diligent, unforgiving monitoring of comments that helps make this site a pleasure! Please don’t ever give up! /end crawling session.

3. busterggi
    March 13, 2014 at 8:50 AM

800 year old monk?!

Oh, dead for 800 years – dammit I thought we really had something.

• RayG
      March 13, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Yeah, thought the same thing! 800 years old! What a tale he would tell over a wine or 3. Oh, he’s dead… bummer

4. Bob
    March 13, 2014 at 9:10 AM

I love that monk story so, so much. As you might know, Sharon, Eve and I have been devouring episodes of Time Team, a long-running British archaeology show, and they are constantly running up against problems with erosion. What I’ve learned: 1) you can’t go 2 steps without tripping over medieval pottery in the UK, 2) archaeologists are really, really good at reading stains in the dirt, 3) what Samian ware is, 4) you are probably living on the remains of a 14th century monastery, 5) some metal detectorists deserve the death penalty, preferably burning in the public square. My favorite episodes are about the Roman presence in the region. I love me some mosaics.

Here’s an image of the cliffs. Lovely. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/Monknash_beach_-_geograph.org.uk_-_15184.jpg

5. Bob
    March 13, 2014 at 9:18 AM

If you enter this into Google Maps, you can see the erosion: “Monknash, Monknash (N-bound), Saint Donats, United Kingdom” Not subtle.

6. Bonnie
    March 13, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Re: memory

“The memories of what happened on the first day of school are an example of an episodic memory.”

Do people really remember the first day of school? I have no memory of that (of course, it was well over 50 years ago!), tho I do have unpleasant memories of the physical exam we had to take before entering 1st grade and another, equally unpleasant, about a week or two after the start of school when I got on the wrong bus to go home.