That’s not mold on the bananas; is a spider nest

Another story that you all won’t appreciate but it’s good to keep this in mind.

Deadly spider nest found in bananas bought in Staffordshire | Stoke Sentinel.

A STAFFORDSHIRE family were forced to flee their home after finding hundreds of potentially deadly spiders in a bunch of bananas.

Father-of-two Jamie Roberts, 31, spotted white patches on the fruit, but assumed it was mould.

But upon closer inspection he realised the fruit was infested with a spider nest.

The baby spiders had exited the nest. The family called pest control and were told to leave the house for it to be fumigated. The witnesses report that the spiders looked like Brazilian Wandering Spiders but because they were small, this is uncertain and no results of ID have been noted. However, this does happen. (I wonder if it happens MORE on organic produce? There is are several good reasons for pesticides, folks.)

spider nest

Dangerous spiders arrived via banana transport.

Reasonable chance of finding spiders on the bananas.

Brazilian Wandering Spider terrorizes the produce section.

While it seems extreme to leave the house and fumigate, it was necessary so that the spiders would not find a place to hide and pose a future problem. Please check ALL your produce carefully before removing it from the store.

Black widow spiders among the grapes.

Tip: David O’Hare

7 comments for “That’s not mold on the bananas; is a spider nest

1. Angela
    March 12, 2014 at 11:49 AM

There are not enough ‘e’s’ and ‘w’s’ in the world for that ‘eewwww’. And the Brazilian Wandering Spider is truly dangerous.
    I was also looking at incidents of insect infestation in organic produce–there does seem to be more than the fair share of issues just from reading the discussions online. Suggestions were soaking produce in water with a bit of vinegar once you have gotten it home. Even then, it seems a few will get through. Oh and did I mention “eewww”? I did? Okay, moving on then…

• Mark Richards
      March 12, 2014 at 6:13 PM

“… the Brazilian Wandering Spider is truly dangerous.” Only if you try really, really hard to annoy one, they’d much rather keep out of your way; they’re certainly not going to attack a human for no reason. But tiny ones emerging from their nursery web aren’t going to be able to bite a human even if they want to. They certainly wouldn’t survive the British climate so fumigation was rather OTT.

BTW, spiders aren’t insects.

• Angela
        March 12, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Point taken on the spiders not being insects. I also misspoke in my comment about the spiders being dangerous–I was referring to the venom. Like you said, babies hatching would not be biting humans, however I really think I would pass on having them as a permanent houseguest. Certainly would not want to aggravate or annoy one!

2. Chris Howard
    March 12, 2014 at 12:36 PM

This appears to be happening more in Great Britian. Is that really the case or am I seeing a pattern that isn’t there?

• Mark Richards
      March 12, 2014 at 6:06 PM

No question it’s being reported more but that doesn’t relate to a higher incidence. Tabloid journalists have just found out about the False Widow, a mere 120 years or so since it was first identified in England, and that’s given them a new source of fear-mongering to fill their column inches and keep the editor off their back.

I do hope it doesn’t translate into the same nonsense we hear coming from the USA where any pimple of unidentified origin is confidently proclaimed to be a spider bite.

3. Busmonitor
    March 13, 2014 at 4:47 AM

I remember my grandma telling me many a story of large spiders and even a number of praying mantises(*) that had come over with the bananas at the local small town supermarket she worked at around 20 years ago. It was an all too common occurrence or so I’m told.

*is the plural mantises? manti? mantids?

4. WMcCreery
    March 13, 2014 at 12:35 PM

But Spiders are all natural!!