Ted Nugent: Pants on Fire

Not only is he a loudmouthed bigot but he enjoys stretching the truth to make himself look more important that he really is.

Ted Nugent on CNN: ‘I conduct federal raids with the DEA and ATF and U.S. Marshals and the FBI and Texas Rangers’ | PunditFact.

Until last week, Ted Nugent was best known as a rock musician, a bow hunter, and an ardent supporter of gun rights. But his recent description of President Barack Obama as a “subhuman mongrel” eclipsed all of that, especially at a time when he has campaigned on behalf of a Texas Republican candidate for governor. Those words are rooted in Nazi anti-Semitic propaganda and the writings of white supremacists.

The uproar drew a terse apology from the singer of hits such as “Cat Scratch Fever.” But in an interview with CNN’s Erin Burnett, he insisted that he had not drawn on the rhetoric of racist literature. At least for the word “mongrel,” Nugent said the word was used in his time in law enforcement.

“I’ve been a cop in Lake County, Michigan, since 1982 thereabout. I conduct federal raids with the DEA and ATF and U.S. Marshals and the FBI and Texas Rangers and heroes of law enforcement.

But it turns out he was REALLY stretching the truth here… He is a reservist for the county sheriff’s office but holds no official duties or authority. And he’s not been on raids as far as any of the officials noted.

They gave him a “pants on fire” rating for lying.

I think Ted is full of s**t about everything. Just a reminder of how special he thinks he is (from Wikipedia):

In a 1977 High Times article, Nugent stated that he took crystal meth and defecated in his pants in order to avoid being drafted into the Vietnam War. Nugent reaffirmed this in a 1990 interview with Detroit Free Press, stating that “…a week before his physical, he stopped using the bathroom altogether, virtually living inside his pants caked with excrement and urine.” In other interviews, Nugent has denied this claim, stating that he dodged the draft by enrolling at Oakland Community College to get a student deferment. However, his Selective Service classification record shows ratings of 1-Y and 4-F for 1969 and 1972 respectively, indicating ineligibility for military service under established physical, mental, or moral standards, rather than student deferment.

In 1978, Nugent began a relationship with seventeen-year-old Hawaii native Pele Massa. Due to the age difference they could not marry so Nugent joined Massa’s parents in signing documents to make himself her legal guardian, an arrangement that Spin magazine ranked in October 2000 as #63 on their list of the “100 Sleaziest Moments in Rock”

Ah, yes, standards.
Ted-Nugent

Comments are tightly moderated. Please follow the Comment Policy.

11 comments for “Ted Nugent: Pants on Fire

1. Angela
    March 2, 2014 at 5:02 PM

From Motor City Madman to just…well….a mad man. Ugh…hate it when entertainers try to do politics. I realize that politicians are performers in many respects but wow. When the reverse happens and the performers get to spouting misinformation that their fans think is gospel, it drives me nuts. *I must resist Jenny McCarthy rant..not relevant..carrying on…* I did like the music back in the day, but Ted lost me as a fan when I realized that most of his words were coming straight out of his…other windpipe. This story just confirms that.

If there is ever anything this atrocious about Alice Cooper…I don’t wanna know.

• One Eyed Jack
      March 3, 2014 at 3:09 AM

When celebrities speak and people listen, it’s not the fault of the celebrity, but of the listener.

Celebrities have the same right as anyone else to speak their mind. Likewise, we have the right to ignore them.

• Angela
        March 3, 2014 at 9:01 AM

You have a good point about the listeners. And of course anyone has the right to speak their mind and we have the right to ignore. We also have the right to vocalize an opinion on what they are saying. What drives me nuts about it are people who are too willing to take a celebrity’s opinions and consider them informed.

2. kfwils
    March 2, 2014 at 5:38 PM

I was a real fan of this loud mouth racist dirt bag back when he was in the band, The Amboy Dukes. He later went solo and I continued to buy his music. It was shocking to me to learn some years ago that a rocker would morph into an extreme conservative right wing basket case. We thought that crapping his pants to get out of the Vietnam War was to put himself in solidarity with the anti-war hippie movement. Turns out he’s a conservative hawk with a case of cowardice.

• Chris Howard
      March 2, 2014 at 9:33 PM

I believe the correct term is “chicken-hawk”, but hypocrite works just as well.

3. BobM
    March 2, 2014 at 6:39 PM

I’ve always wondered why someone who avoided service in the Vietnam war has such a right wing following. But then so did Bush and he had quite a following too. There must be a huge amount of cognitive dissonant somewhere :-).

4. MrClean417
    March 2, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Uhhh, like my very liberal high school history teacher, Bush found a way to serve with the national guard and thus stayed out of Vietnam while serving. I had another friend who scored well on his entrance tests and became a nuclear missile tech during the war, he spent his whole time in Okinawa.

Just because you HAVE to serve doesn’t mean you can’t take advantage of the options. I applaud all of them for using their smarts and staying out of the kill zone.

Nuge, well who knows what goes through the mind of a Rock god. Telling stories in word and song is their calling. You don’t really think he Bartonellosis when he was 17. That this colorful way of telling things would carry on to other parts of his life doesn’t surprise me at all.
    Has he gone on ride alongs with the police and feds? Probably has though I bet they would deny anything like what he claimed. Hell, if he rode with the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds could you imagine his claims on that?

I’ve probably, in moments of rage, called the president worse things then Mongrel, though I don’t remember doing so. You work your whole life trying to get rid of the programing you received from your parents examples growing up. Teds a generation before me, I can only imagine. Because he’s a rock star he’s always had a bit more protection in colorful speech then the rest of us. Perhaps that’s just catching up with him.

Still, I’d like to think that I would have gone a different way under similar circumstances.

• March 2, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Uhhhh, did your “very liberal high school history teacher” also cheer on the war from a safe distance, confident in the knowledge that his ass would never be on the firing line?

And back to the subject on hand, your “Rock god” (snort) has been caught in a big lie, again. All the handwaving in the world is not about to change that.

5. L. Barth
    March 2, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Maybe with his big mouth & guns Ted is making up for other parts of him that aren’t so big.. like his…ummm Brain!

6. Chris Howard
    March 2, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Ugh, now I’m thinking about Sarah Palin’s back door! ;-/

7. Angela
    March 3, 2014 at 11:25 AM

This one came across my Facebook newsfeed this morning..taking another look at his other past claims. Ted is a GREAT storyteller for those who enjoy his type of stories..but they do tend to sound like fishing tales. “It was THIIISS BIG”…and it’s a bluegill.