Got a small pet? You need to keep an eye out for hungry wildlife that will consider it a meal.
A NSW woman has endured a nasty shock after finding her pet dog, that had been chained in its kennel, swallowed by a python.
The Lismore woman approached the kennel of her Chihuahua-Maltese cross, only to find a 2.5 metre carpet python in its place, with the bulge of the dog’s body still visible, reports Fairfax.
She had chained the dog so that it would not roam or bother other animals. That may have made it a sitting duck. What a horrible situation. But let it be a lesson to everyone, everywhere. Snakes and other wildlife will see domestic animals as food. Be conscious of that.
Carpet pythons (Morelia spilota) are native to Australia. The officials report this is only the second sort of attack like this they have seen. The snake was captured and is said to require medical attention to remove the chain and will be released.
Tip: Neil Raine