Rick Dyer, the bigfoot hoaxer, has admitted he hoaxed Hank, the bigfoot he claims he shot and put on display.

And no one is surprised…

He posted this official statement on his Facebook page today:

From this moment own I will speak the truth! No more lies, tall tales or wild goose chases to mess with the haters! No more longing into my hater acct to heat the pot. All the so called info the haters received came from either me or a team members that I directed . True or not we just wanted people to talk eg.Prop maker, Addresses, People involved. It was crazy just for the attention!

The people on my tour knew everything from day one, They just didn’t expect me to ever come clean, They thought they could say anything they wanted and I couldn’t respond without giving my self up!..
[...] Coming clean about everything is necessary for a new start!

Musky never saw the body, We stayed at hotel all night playing slots. He only wanted to mess with the Bigfoot community and I took advantage of that.

Dyer didn’t make the money he expected and cancelled the rest of the tour.

He says:

The tour was successful only because it opened peoples mind to Bigfoot and when it comes down to money Andrew made 20% $11,668 Plus Plus and Lynk made over 10 %
$6235 Plus Plus.,,,,,,,,The kids and all my fans smiles would have been payment enough for me….

But yet, he continues the saga!

My Fans I truly love you and I did shot and kill one Bigfoot on 09/06/2012 with Morgan Mathews.

The Tent Video is 100% real and filmed with Morgan. FBFB has the Video complete with sound to prove that Morgan was with me!

He has fans? I doubt that. We’re going to buy this part, you lying liar?

He notes controversy sells and thanks the haters for that.

I have made lots of people mad but 1000X more smile!

I can’t and won’t give you a date of anything to do with the real body because I don’t know.

[...] That is the 100% truth guys!

Thanks and God Bless
Rick Dyer

Honestly? More Bigpoofery? Can he be prosecuted for fraud?

The truth is, you’re a real scumbag, Dyer. No doubts about that.

The alleged body of Bigfoot from Dyer's Bigfoot Today web site.

The alleged body of Bigfoot from Dyer’s Bigfoot Today web site.

UPDATE: San Antonio news has more about what prompted the tour to fall apart. The team’s spokesman Andrew Clacy left after what apparently was an argument with Dyer and the rest of his crew. The piece mentions lawsuit threats that led to Dyer’s announcement on Facebook. Clacy emailed a statement to the San Antonio Express-News on Monday, admitting that the body was a prop.

So, how did he NOT know it was a gaff and why would he trust Dyer anyways? The Change.org petition to charge Dyer with federal fraud only has 502 signatures. At least one location apologized to patrons for hosting Dyer’s tour.

Chris Russell of Twisted Toy Box in Washington, admitted Sunday in an interview with a Bigfoot blogging site that he manufactured the prop last year at Dyer’s request. “Hank,” as Dyer has dubbed the prop, is made of latex, foam and camel hair.

Dyer’s facebook page is now down. (Bigfootery is all done on Facebook these days. Classy.)

ABSOLUTELY NONE of this – the hoax, the claims, the arguments, the fraud – should have been a surprise to anyone with any former knowledge of Dyer. He’s the new Barnum, just a much bigger jerk.

The history:

Deja vu all over again: Dyer stages Bigfoot press conference (UPDATE: Set for Feb 9)

Bigfootery shenanigans – It’s too crazy not to share (UPDATE: Dyer bailed)

Bigfoot bodies everywhere and nowhere – “Liar Dyer” taking one on tour

The Bigfoot bandwagon – Dyer’s tall tale that he has the body

19 comments for “Rick Dyer comes “clean” on hoax (UPDATE: Prop made of latex, foam and camel hair)

1. Brandon
    March 29, 2014 at 3:30 AM

It’s funny how he is setting up the next attention-seeking circus right when he is ending the current one. Probably in a few years he will trot out a new gaff and the major news organizations will eat it up without doing basic research on the guy once again.

2. Brian
    March 29, 2014 at 6:25 AM

“No more lies, tall tales or wild goose chases to mess with the haters! No more longing into my hater acct to heat the pot. All the so called info the haters received came from either me or a team members that I directed…”

You sir, are a jerk of the lowest caliber. You have managed to get *everyone* to hate you, and find you to be nothing but a charlatan, and a money grubber. You are nothing but a liar. You also, oddly enough, sound a bit like a creationist with your “God made dinosaur fossils to mess with sinners” nonsense. Your poorly made hoax body couldn’t fool anyone, except the extremely gullible, who would have gladly given you money.

In short- you are not worth the energy I put into typing this.

• March 29, 2014 at 2:49 PM

I’m a-gonna let you speak, Brian. Because occasionally jerks need to be called jerks in public.

• Brian
        March 30, 2014 at 1:39 AM

I probably have ‘been closer to a bigfoot’ than he will ever be- and yes, I can explain myself:

A few years back, I and my then g/f (now wife) were walking along a road at night with her dog. This is in rural NC- literally Mayberry. As we were walking, we first heard a horrible, asthmatic, large animal breathing noise, followed by a smell that was so bad, both of us started wretching. We couldn’t see anything, but from the noise (at least), this thing was barely 20 feet away. According to what accounts I have read- this was all classic bigfoot. (it also could have been a bear- how we did NOT get eaten or mauled is well past my understanding…. especially with a dog in tow. And we weren’t exactly sneaking along…) Just using the encounter as a benchmark against what I have read online, I probably was closer to a ‘bigfoot encounter’ than Dyer could have ever wished he could be.

To this day, we are on the fence as to what we walked by that night. Common sense says bear. Common sense also says we should have been little brown bear poops being *that* close….

• John Nowak
          March 31, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Bears hate crowds. They avoid groups of two people and groups of 3+ are almost never in danger. IIRC there’s only one documented case of a bear attacking a group of two in the state of Alaska, and then one of the people was inside a tent and it’s likely the bear didn’t even see it. You, another person, and a dog were about as safe from bear attack as you can get.

• ray
      June 26, 2014 at 4:06 PM

couldn’t have said it better!

3. Brian
    March 29, 2014 at 6:32 AM

He has a real Bigfoot body about as much as I own a real UFO.

I also need some basic fixes with my above comment. This is what I get for typing while not awake. :-P

• todd
      March 29, 2014 at 11:14 AM

What color is your UFO? And how much do you want for it?

4. March 29, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I decided to put “clean” in the title in quotes because otherwise, the title would be lying too.

5. busterggi
    March 29, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Dyer couldn’t come clean if he strapped a case of soap to his head and stood in the rain for forty days.

I’d love to ask him about his ‘doing it to make his daughter proud’ excuse.

6. March 29, 2014 at 10:49 PM

There is a petition to have him charged with fraud… but pointless.

• Tom
      March 30, 2014 at 6:35 PM

why is it pointless? fraud is fraud. and others are filing class action suits against the scrub.

• March 30, 2014 at 9:33 PM

I have not seen evidence of a class action suit. I have seen only a petition. I don’t believe it will amount to anything. If you have actual evidence of suit, please post it.

• March 31, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Given that he made money off of his fraud, his victims certainly do have the right to go after him. And fraud is a crime, so it doesn’t necessarily have to be a civil suit. But I expect most people will just let it go.

7. Kitty
    March 31, 2014 at 1:31 PM

It’s like we all knew, and yet too many in the Bigfoot community defended him. They were, “well I won’t say 100% it’s a fake.” The funny thing is that the public did not believe, certainly not enough to pay out the money to see this “real” Bigfoot. If this had even a hint of being “real”, with the popularity of Bigfoot shows, he should have made a TON of money. Instead, sad little amount. His plan flopped. Time for new plan, so must kill off old plan. It’s also rather insulting he ends with “God Bless”. Because he is hiding behind religion, and I’ve never read anywhere in the Bible it’s OK to lie lie and lie some more. Especially to make money. I would say if he were at all being “honest” he would offer a full refund to anyone that paid to see his fake.

• Tom
      March 31, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Sad part is in his mind he got away with it and will lay low for awhile and emerge with another hoax. that’s how he rolls since 2008! he needs to be in jail, period.

8. drwfishesman
    March 31, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Says Dyer’s facebook site was disabled at the time of this article. It’s back up without the confession.

9. terry the censor
    March 31, 2014 at 5:35 PM

I am heartened that psychics have been put in jail in recent years. Rick Dyer and some alien abduction “therapists” have earned jail time too, in my opinion.

10. The Macarena Man
    March 31, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Love these ‘bigfoot’ hoaxes ……..
    Live in British Columbia, and no shortage bigfoot stories here. Just hard to prove/dis-prove with the endless wilderness here. Bigfoot from NC ….. ?
    Hmmmmmm …