Monty Python inspired road sign angers Norwegian Public Roads bureaucrats

Kudos on inventive signage. Although… I might have been so distracted laughing, I’d have wrecked.

‘Silly walk’ sign enrages roads agency

The craze for installing doctored comedy signs has reached small-town Norway, with an art collective in Ørje on the Swedish border installing a pair of zebra crossing signs inspired by Monty Python’s Ministry of Silly Walks.

The sign, designed to encourage people to use a “silly walk” from the classic Monte [sic] Python sketch has the backing of the local council in the Ørje. But the notoriously bureaucratic Norwegian Public Roads Administration is not so amused.

The art group said it was just for fun. I bet the Swedes think so.

BRILLIANT!

And yes, we know Norway banned the movie “Life of Brian” back when it came out due to blasphemy and that Sweden then started advertising the movie as “the movie so funny the Norwegians banned it.”

Photo credit: Kreativiteket

Photo credit: Kreativiteket

Don’t worry. You don’t have to go look for it. Here’s the famous sketch!

Comments are tightly moderated. Please follow the Comment Policy.

9 comments for “Monty Python inspired road sign angers Norwegian Public Roads bureaucrats

1. Chris Howard
    March 30, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Just so long as they don’t anger The Department of Redundancy Department they should be okay.

2. eddi
    March 30, 2014 at 9:24 PM

People, especially Pointy Haired Bureaucrats, with no sense of humor are so much fun to play with. I like it when their ear hairs ignite.

3. Peter Robinson
    March 30, 2014 at 10:29 PM

In parroting the MP sketch they have been very naughty boys. I expect an inquisition and at least a ten minute argument, possibly followed by a thorough fish slapping for the guilty.

• kompani101
      March 31, 2014 at 6:36 AM

Fabulous.

4. John Nowak
    March 31, 2014 at 9:00 AM

I’m torn.

1) Yeah, it’s funny — I’m as amused as mine host. Kudos for adding a bit of laughter and joy to life.

2) Do we want people to be distracted, amused and laughing while driving a motor vehicle? I remember seeing a train-inspired art installation with red flashing crossing lights near a major highway. I’d love to know how many accidents it’s caused in poor visibility.

5. Finn
    March 31, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Those bureaucrats need to get back to Putting Things On Top Of Other Things. Or introducing taxes on Thingy.

6. Old Muley
    March 31, 2014 at 11:27 AM

If they want an argument, the need room 12A, just along the corridor.

7. Chris Howard
    March 31, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Good to see so many Doubtful Pythons out there!

Ooh! Band name!

8. F-89
    March 31, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Forget Auto accidents-I want to know how many people get injured trying to walk like they did in that sketch!! :) (I’ve tried-and nearly took my knee out in the process!)