Holy smoke! This Cassiobury Park “ghost” photo is AWFUL

Undeniable? More like laughable.

Cassiobury Park ghost: finally caught on camera (From Watford Observer).

Paranormal investigators had to hold their breath to snap this spooky shot of midnight mist, which they say is “undeniable” evidence that spirits haunt Cassiobury Park.

Jamie Burnell, lead investigator for Watford Paranormal group, was one of nine people ghost-hunting in the park between 9.30pm and 3am on Saturday night.

The 33-year-old said the park is haunted by the ghost of Lord Arthur Capel, who was a Royalist during the Civil War and met his end when he was beheaded in 1649.

Here is the picture:
ghostly mist

Are you serious? Wait… this is a joke right? A prank? [Looks around.] If it looks like earthly vapor, I’m going to go with some earthly vapor/mist/smoke, not supernatural. There is ZERO evidence this is a ghost or anything unnatural AT ALL. Is this really the state of ghost hunting today? You have to do a HELL of a lot better than this picture as evidence. Actually, this is embarrassing to even talk about.

Speaking about the photo, Mr Burnell said: “The more I look at it the more I believe the spirit entities were trying to show themselves.

“There are so many faces that I can make out, it’s almost undeniable proof.

“There are faces on their sides and I can see almost a full body apparition. The more I look at it the more I see into it.”

Oh, dear.

What is with this reporter covering this as news? Holy smoke!

I have to say the Bigfoot blob is better.

9 comments for “Holy smoke! This Cassiobury Park “ghost” photo is AWFUL

1. Angela
    March 12, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Considering the temperatures were likely cold, there is a canal right where the pic was taken, and breath (especially if one smokes) can hang around a bit–there are way too many natural explanations. Plus having a ‘medium’ and a spirit box along for the ride makes it just…*sigh*..no words.

2. H.K. Fauskanger
    March 12, 2014 at 7:18 PM

I see some utterly trivial swirls of smoke and/or mist. Where are the ghosts we were promised?

One of these days someone will post a picture of a totally empty window, doorframe or whatever, and call it a ghost photo. The ghost is INVISIBLE, you see!

Or actually you don’t.

3. Trace Smith
    March 12, 2014 at 7:37 PM

I agree. I’ve been a Paranormal Investigator for 10+yrs now. I’ve seen a lot of people making mistakes where cigarette smoke is the culprit or dust. I’ve seen the dust/orb mistake soooo many times. It’s hard for me to believe that people actually misunderstand dust, water vapor or smoke as orbs or ghost. I have seen mist…but you can definitely tell the difference.

Anyways…good call. I try to tell people that they should try to get at least 3 other definitive anomalies to help in deciding whether you’ve caught something or not. Temperature deviation, Evp, (electronic voice Phenomenon) an object being manipulated, picture or video…ect.

;0)

• March 12, 2014 at 8:51 PM

It was noted that the photographer wasn’t breathing but how do we know the person next to him wasn’t smoking? These photos are really worthless as “evidence”. I’m amazed someone would call this undeniable ANYTHING other than useless.

4. D
    March 13, 2014 at 3:06 AM

Funny how the mist is always close to the camera. I don’t see any ghost. sigh. This is getting old.

• CLamb
      March 13, 2014 at 3:26 PM

The mist is only visible when it is brightly lit and reflecting light into the camera. At night this occurs mainly when the flash on the camera fires. Too far away and the flash is too weak. The flash is too fast for people to see the mist.

5. Angela
    March 13, 2014 at 6:10 AM

I have recently been called every name in the book both online and on a podcast by some people who are so bound and determined to hang on to a mist picture that they are convinced is ‘the devil himself’. Blind belief–or a blind need for attention? I don’t know and at this point I do not care. If someone is going to say a naturally occurring mist is demonic and is telling their “clients” this, it is open season for criticism. When I see the media run with something this ridiculous..it becomes a lot clearer why some ghost hunters in the paranormal scene hang on to their ‘evidence’. They see how well it works for others.

6. Rex Dart
    March 13, 2014 at 9:22 AM

It looks to me like it might even be an out-of-focus closeup photo of a cobweb.

7. Count Otto Black
    March 13, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Unless this picture is severely cropped, it doesn’t look like a snap anybody would frame that way on purpose, especially as the “investigators” admit they had no idea the mysterious mist existed at the time, and only found out about it when they saw the photos later. My guess is the photographer pressed the button by mistake and didn’t even know he’d taken an out-of-focus extreme close-up of some twigs or cobwebs or whatever that is.

UK local newspapers are notorious for being so desperately starved of actual news that they have to print almost anything if they don’t want the paper to have big white gaps, so dismally unconvincing and/or obviously fake photos of ghosts crop up quite frequently, often in connection with a local tourist attraction that will benefit financially from the publicity (though to be fair, not in this case). You probably noticed that the last thing in this article is a plea for readers to send in any equally good photos of ghosts they happen to have.

How seriously does the Watford Observer take this story? Well, for starters, there’s that poll asking readers if they can actually see a ghost in the photo. It turns out that 84% of them can’t, including me. And that’s after we’ve been told what we’re supposed to be seeing! By the way, it turns out that most of the photos taken that night are on a private facebook page you can’t look at unless you join the Watford Paranormal Group, but I did find one elsewhere, and here it is:

Yes folks, there were Orbs as well – how much more proof do you need? Though personally I prefer the far better (and funnier) pictures in the article the Watford Observer links to this one, and presumably takes equally seriously:

Oh, by the way, this isn’t the first time this paper has featured these people looking for ghosts in this place, and backing up their wild claims with embarrassingly useless photographic “evidence” – apparently they’ve been at it since 2010: