From Hell’s deep I stabbeth thee, giant rat!

Or, in this case, catch it round the neck. Indeed a rodent of unusual size!

Swedes catch 40cm ‘rat from hell’ in their kitchen

A Stockholm family was horrified to find a monster “viking” rat living in their kitchen. Pest controllers who were called in to catch the beast found it measured 40 centimetres – not including the tail.

As the rat made more appearances over the next day, the family took to stomping around as they passed the kitchen to ensure they wouldn’t meet the rat from hell again.

They called the pest controllers, who arrived with three heavy-duty traps. It was caught but didn’t die immediately. Once it expired, the animal measured 39.5 centimetres from nose to the start of its tail.

It was apparently eating scraps from the kitchen trash having gnawed its way through cement and wood to gain access via a ventilation pipe. There is no information on what species it is. So if anyone can shed some light on how this individual got to be Ratzilla…

You know you got a rodent problem when the rat is almost as large as the cat….

Photo credit: Justus Bengtsson-Korsås

Photo credit: Justus Bengtsson-Korsås

Comments are tightly moderated. Please follow the Comment Policy.

9 comments for “From Hell’s deep I stabbeth thee, giant rat!

1. Paul de Boer
    March 27, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Again, a perspective trick. 16 inches where the tail may be a little short of half of the length equals a rat with a body that is 9 inches long. I’ve seen domestic hooded rats about that size. I would not characterize that as the size of a house cat.

Is Sharon mad about this rodent pest being killed?

• Paul de Boer
      March 27, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Ok, the source I read said 40cm with tail. Oops! 40cm body length is impressive, but I’m skeptical of that as the rat trap in the pictures would have to be 30cm(12inches). Most I’ve seen and on eBay are about 7 inches. That still makes a scary rat, but nothing ridiculously large.

Maybe that was a raccoon trap!

• March 27, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Ok. A small cat, but a bit more than they are used to. I’m not sure what else you could have done with such a thing other than kill it. I would have at least kept the body though. Curious as to why it’s large.

• Paul de Boer
        March 27, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I was kidding about the flying fox a few weeks ago.

FYI I found a Swedish site that translated into “from head to tail” not “from head to base of the tail” I thought that is more plausible. I’m not sure how to determine which is the original.

2. Lee
    March 27, 2014 at 2:28 PM

I agree with the perspective trick. He is holding the rat at arm’s length standing some distance behnd his catch. I remember seeing another giant rat caught in New York and it was a Gambian pouched rat, a fairly common pet that can grow to up to three feet from tip of tail to nose. People keep them as pets. They possess long ears though and this does not.

3. March 28, 2014 at 12:23 AM

Perspective or no, this type of critter has been well documented on Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodent_of_unusual_size

4. March 28, 2014 at 2:28 AM

Here is a link to the Facebook of one of the kids in that family. You can clearly see the size of the rat there.

5. Vin
    March 28, 2014 at 7:05 PM

I have seen ‘white tail’ rats this size in the banana Farms of Northern Australia (I am not sure if they are ‘native’)

6. Markus
    April 7, 2014 at 4:55 PM

I really don´t understand why people are so horribly bad in taking photos which show any kind of size comparison. All of the photos show forced perspective, in some cases to a massive degree. I can´t really believe this rat was really as big as claimed. At 40 cm head-and-body-length it would surely look even bigger. The trap would be also unusually huge (and no, there are most probably no raccoon-traps at Norway, as raccoons are not native there).