Cat expresses outrage over stinky aftershave

This will put you off cats for a while. He was very blunt about his opinion of this scent.

Plymouth man Ian Olver needs hospital treatment after cat attacks him because of aftershave.

A PLYMOUTH dad suffered a serious facial injury that needed hospital treatment after he was attacked by a neighbour’s cat because it hated his aftershave.

Plasterer Ian Olver, 44, had splashed on the Hugo Boss Bottled Night scent after it was given to him by his wife Hayley, 40, as a Christmas present.

The normally-placid puss leapt up at Ian and began clawing at his neck and ears as soon as it got a whiff of his pricey eau de toilette.

He managed to fight off the crazed animal but was left with a three inch gash to the back of his head which required hospital treatment and a tetanus injection.

Cats are jerks! With claws.

Olver’s neighbors Mark and Lorraine Bawden, the owners of the cat Blue, says he does have a habit of reacting strangely to certain odors and that’s what probably prompted the attack. Blue’s reaction to smells is so bad that when they buy new perfume or aftershaves they spray it on a card for him to sniff, to see the reaction.

Animal psychologist Dr. Roger Mugford however says the cat might have sensed the scent as a threat. Cats have far more sensitive smell reception than people, perhaps even as sensitive as dogs.

8 comments for “Cat expresses outrage over stinky aftershave

1. Brandon
    March 4, 2014 at 8:25 PM

I wonder how the cat would respond to Axe body spray.

• Chris
      March 4, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Once upon a time I wandered onto the bus after the high school marching band boys changed out of their wool uniforms after marching through a very hilly desert city. The odor almost knocked me out.

It makes me wonder what it would have done to that cat.

• Chris Howard
      March 9, 2014 at 8:32 AM

AXE: Smells like group-think, and desperation. WEAR IT, NOW!!!

2. Lagaya1
    March 5, 2014 at 3:30 AM

My cat hates oranges. She doesn’t attack anyone, though. Just gives a disgusted look and leaves the room.

3. RandyRandy
    March 5, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Cats are probably the only animal that consistently get a pass from humans for their bizarre, temperamental, cruel, antisocial behavior. But they’re so cute and fuzzy and they purr, so being a belligerent jerk is okay.
    I guess if badgers purred, people would be cuddling up with them too, dressing them up and posting cute badger pics online. Except badgers are mean little a$$holes.
    Gimme a dog any day over a cat. At least dogs are social, show respect and are always happy to see you at the end of the day. And NOTHING smells bad to a dog; it just smells “interesting”.

• March 5, 2014 at 5:54 PM

My dog does not seem to like any perfumey stuff. He sneezes. But, I agree. Cats get away with murder.

• Anthony
        March 6, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Oh, dogs can get away with murder too. I used to have really nice shoes. Then my little Elfie chewed them up.

4. Chris Howard
    March 9, 2014 at 8:23 AM

I’ve had both good, and bad, dogs and cats. Much of the time it’s a simple question of training, and obedience. (yes, you can train cats- it’s just more difficult)

In all likelihood there are probably WAY more serious dog attacks, requiring WAY more urgent medical attention, than there is domestic cat on human violence.