A New Satanic Panic brewing?

Out of South Africa, parents and officials fear occult-related crime is growing. It certainly is growing in the media!

Rise in satanic crimes among black youth – IOL News | IOL.co.za.

Occult-related crimes are on the increase across Gauteng, and now police are warning parents to be on the lookout for the telltale signs that their children are dabbling in the dark arts.

The provincial Harmful Religious Practices (Occult Crimes) Unit of the SAPS said it had 78 occult-related enquiries in the past three months, 48 of which were connected to a crime.

Investigator Lieutenant-Colonel Hennie de Jager said his unit had seen an increase of occult-related crimes in Gauteng, particularly among black youth.

“Occult-related crimes are increasing, especially in black areas where boys and girls are promised fame and riches.”

Activities noted include drinking blood, rituals with black candles, stealing body parts and of course, murders that have been linked to magical rituals supposedly to attain power. Mentioned in the story specifically is Satanism but really I see no connection to official Satanism, rather a general connection to “the Devil” in whatever form, whether that be witchcraft, other belief systems, or something completely invented due to Hollywood and pop culture. Here are some examples of the types of crime linked to “Satanism” [sic] or, more accurately, any belief that rituals to an evil entity can gain you power.

On trial for attempting to sell their souls for fame and power

Murders in South Africa linked to Satanist “dangerous prayer”

Whitney Houston and the crazy occult conspiracy

On the other hand… OTO is a thing?

I am concerned that as typical happens, bad information is passed around, the stories become warped and rumors grow creating a panic fueled by misunderstanding. That’s never helpful.

And, it’s not only a concern in South Africa.

Horse mutilation dubiously connected to Satanism

Satanists deny any connection to Barbour

Christian group in India believes Satan worship is growing there

Daughter attacks Mom thinking she was the Anti-Christ

Comments are tightly moderated. Please follow the Comment Policy.

10 comments for “A New Satanic Panic brewing?

1. Angela
    March 2, 2014 at 2:34 PM

I’ve actually been told in discussions when I bring up the Satanic Panic as an example of mass hysteria “that’s old news”. Well, sorry, no it isn’t. It’s VERY recent history–and it always has the potential to repeat itself, especially in the mainstream and social media.

On this article–I see a law enforcement unit that is specifically geared to investigate crimes that are attributed to ritual or religious reasons. When you look at one department, that does not give the entire scope of criminal behavior. South Africa has a lot of violence..a LOT. And much of it has nothing to do with Satanism or even any kind of ritual murder. And in my opinion, the headline is intended to cause outrage on many levels in a country that already has high tensions. And the symptoms for the ‘dabblers’..sounds like Bob Larson’s criteria for having a demon in you.

That is not to in any way minimize the murders that have been investigated for a connection to any kind of ritual. It’s awful. I just don’t want to see the media run with an angle that has the potential to cause so much widespread panic–and possibly even more crime committed in retribution (or in anticipation).

• Kiljoy616
      March 6, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Unfortunately they will run with it, and people will believe it. People in the majority are sheep they will follow and fear what ever media and leaders tells them to fear. Sorry to say but I see this becoming a bigger deal over time. That not everyone will fall for it is a given but that does not mean enough of them will and there is the danger.

In a different twist there is nothing to say that it could not start here again.

2. Peebs
    March 2, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I wish this site had a ‘Like’ button.
    I like Angela’s post.
    A lot.

• WMcCreery
      March 2, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Agreed!

3. SouthAfrican
    March 7, 2014 at 8:59 AM

I’m from South Africa. A few months ago the South African Police Force posted a list of “occult related warning signs”. It is utterly ridiculous and also quite worrying. The list includes things like:

* Child plays love fantasy games.
    * Child is secretive and isolated.
    * Child starts to wear pale make-up and or dyes hair black.
    * Child writes backwards.
    * Child listens to black metal or heavy metal with occult lyrics, symbols or references to occult worship.
    * Child has an interest in computer.

The list has since been taken down.
    Here is a copy in text format: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/574151-Satanic-Panic-SAPS-Edition
    Here is a screencap: http://i.imgur.com/zPCcAhx.png

• SouthAfrican
      March 7, 2014 at 9:06 AM

And from yesterday, the Sports Minister claims that people that don’t like the president are associated with Satanism:

“They will be defeated because President Jacob Zuma will not diminish because of the booing. He is a tsunami, more than a hurricane. All of their plans, infused in Satanism at best, will never succeed in the future because their plans are nothing else but filled with evil.”

source: http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Politics/Zuma-booing-infused-in-Satanism-Mbalula-20140306

• Drake
        April 25, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Comments like this one from the Sports Minister, I worry, are likely to incite violence against [alleged] Satanists.

I, myself, use a fake name (Octavius Drake) as a defense. It allows me to be open about my beliefs without fear of reprisals.

• Drake
      April 25, 2014 at 5:00 PM

As a Satanist, that list of “warning signs” is complete and total bullshit…

I covered this exact list on my tumblr – in great detail – from my own perspective.

Boredom is something to look out for and might indicate your teen is involved with Satanism? Scientifically, boredom is a defense to protected the mind from stagnating (Michael from vsauce on youtube actually covered the topic very well -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwd25JV-jnU )

I would love to see the credentials of all on the occult crime unit because from everything I’ve seen (right back to Kobus Jonker’s career), they just look like christian fundamentalists with an agenda to me…

4. April 25, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Doing what we can to oppose Satanic Panic propaganda in South Africa.