Well, I don’t really believe it. I think there is more to this. The reputation of the Welles house in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania is being enhanced by big name paranormalists.

Something spooky is going on here.

After just one night at 46 S. Welles St., John Zaffis is convinced.

“There is definitely paranormal activity that transpires in this house,” he said.

Zaffis, a well-known paranormal investigator from Connecticut (who studied under his aunt and uncle, famed demonologists Lorraine and Ed Warren), joined Tim Wood and Dave Spinks of LiveSciFi.TV in their investigation, broadcast live on YouTube, of the creaky Wilkes-Barre home this past weekend.

He said the house has “that heavy feeling” he has come to associate with haunted environments.

The team continued their investigation into the early hours of the morning.

Communication was attempted through varying means. During another session with the ghost box, Wood said Spinks reported something had choked him. In a separate instance, Wood said something made him suddenly sick.

This is the house: House for sale. Full disclosure: haunted. It was sold to Wood, a paranormal investigator, who put out a press release a few weeks ago using the words “100% Proof of Paranormal Activity at Amityville Horror House of PA”. As you can imagine, I was highly doubtful of the extraordinary claims. I don’t think there are demon-infested houses or even spirit-haunted houses. This seemed altogether like a media ploy to get viewers onto the LiveSciFi channel.

Welles house, Wilkes-Barre PA

Welles house, Wilkes-Barre PA

So, I contacted Tim to ask if he would allow me to visit the house. He was obviously busy last weekend though he invited me to visit. I declined due to plans and bad weather. Also, I would like to view the house WITHOUT media setup or rigging for recording, if that would be possible. Tim is not residing in the area.  But I hope to keep in touch and visit the house soon.

My personal opinion is that people like Zaffis and paranormal teams who take this very seriously never find a house that isn’t haunted by SOMETHING, because they attribute every anomaly to the paranormal. That’s not investigation, but confirmation of belief, something I call sham inquiry – it looks like inquiry but the answer is already determined, evidence is found to suit. That’s not how skeptical investigations work. The paranormal is NOT assumed. Normal (but still interesting) explanations usually come to light. The odd part is that paranormal investigators often call the skeptical investigators “closed-minded” when we are the ones open to far more possibilities, not defaulting to a preferred (but worthless) explanation of “paranormal activity”. Many people want that to be the conclusion. If they want the best answer, the most helpful answer, then “ghosts” isn’t it. This is probably why no one wants the skeptical investigator around; they prefer to embrace the sensational story.

You can see the videos of the LiveSciFi investigations here.

Related reading: Ghost Meters: I Can Name that Ghost in 5 Milligauss

Comments are tightly moderated. Please follow the Comment Policy.

8 comments for “This ghost hunter went into a haunted house and you WON’T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT!

1. Angela
    February 17, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Oh that was TOTALLY click-bait… =P (I kid, I kid..I cracked up when I saw that one (considering what was said on the Monster Talk podcast a few weeks ago).

I agree with your opinion on this. Unfortunately, the media and television is all about ‘giving the people what they want’. I wish they would stop assuming it is what we ALL want..but I guess as long as the ratings come in, our opinion is put in their circular file somewhere. Sad. Because there are some very interesting natural explanations for perceived paranormal.

2. terry the censor
    February 17, 2014 at 1:24 PM

I am remotely viewing the exterior of the house. I sense an ungodly ugliness! *shudder*

I also remotely see there is no mailbox on the house. Ghosts don’t receive mail, ergo, ghost house. QED.

(Has there ever been a paranormal spoof TV show? It wouldn’t be hard…)

• Frederick C. Sauls
      February 19, 2014 at 10:54 AM

How would you tell the spoof from the original?

3. Daran
    February 17, 2014 at 8:01 PM

I can`t wait for your visit, although it would be a waste of time if you didn`t stay overnight.

• One Eyed Jack
      February 17, 2014 at 10:02 PM

I would gladly stay overnight in a “haunted” house. You can surround me in a pentagram, light candles, and sacrifice a chicken at my feet. All I ask is that I get paid, because I have better things to do with my time.

• Travis
        February 17, 2014 at 10:08 PM

You know, this is a pretty good idea for a TV show. Have someone rational who doesn’t believe in the paranormal visit a bunch of haunted or otherwise scary places to raise awareness for skepticism

• One Eyed Jack
          February 18, 2014 at 8:30 AM

If there was such a show I’d be first in line to apply, but the concept would never sell. The target audience, those that believe in the paranormal, do not want to watch shows that question their beliefs. They want shows that reinforce them.

• Chris Howard
          February 18, 2014 at 10:11 AM

I’ve always thought that a format based on NatGeo’s “Is It Real?” would work.

The problem is, to paraphrase Chris Carter, “People want to believe.” and they’re the majority demographic.

TV is about escapism, and finding a media source that confirms the viewers pre-conceived attitudes, values, and beliefs.

FOX, PBS, CNN et al cater to different demographics, so the first thing that needs to be considered is “What’s your demographic?”

If it’s sensationalism then FOX is your best bet. Education? Then go with PBS. The problem is that most people don’t watch PBS, or educational TV that doesn’t conform to their biases, the watch Discovery or TLC, two channels that have committed to pseudoscience in a flagrant grab for ratings, so…

Case in point, “Is It Real?” lasted all of two and a half, to three seasons. The best a show like that can hope for is the right formula, for a cult following from a niche demographic.

If it could survive for several seasons, become a phenomena like Star Trek, it might be able to live on in VOD/syndication until such a time that skepticism is in vogue.

But that’s a BIG if.