Nessie is MIA

There were no credible sightings in 2013.

BBC News – No Loch Ness Monster sightings for first time since 1925.

For the first time in almost 90 years no “confirmed sightings” have been made of the Loch Ness Monster, a veteran Nessie spotter has said.

Gary Campbell, who keeps a register of sightings, said no-one had come forward in 18 months to say they had seen the monster.

“The number of sightings has been reducing since the turn of the century but this is the first time in almost 90 years that Nessie wasn’t seen at all.”

This is very bad for tourism, of course. Hoaxes have been used in the past to drum up interest once again. The various photos or videos people take at the loch that they THINK may be the creature are easily identified as waves, birds or hoaxes.

We’ve written extensively about the news out of Loch Ness. It’s not about the creature (since it’s obviously not there) but about the people using the Loch and its legend to sustain their business. It’s a tricky thing. People CERTAINLY see strange things in the loch but that does not in any way translate to cryptid or unknown monster. The past Nessie reports were strange waves, possibly big fish, logs or mistaken identification of normal animals living there.

The absolute WORST explanation for Nessie is that it is a plesiosaur, an aquatic reptile often mistakenly called a dinosaur, that died out 60-some MILLION years ago and left no traces of surviving after that mass extinction. There is no basis to accept that an unknown creature is responsible for the legend when zero evidence points to that conclusion.

Nessie is a myth. So, it’s no wonder she doesn’t appear. However, believing is seeing. I suspect people will always claim to see strange things in legendary places. Enjoy the story and the place.

The Surgeon's photo of the Loch Ness monster. Known to be a hoax (click on picture)

The Surgeon’s photo of the Loch Ness monster. Known to be a hoax.

More:
Has Nessie gone all “Norma Desmond” on Scotland? | Doubtful News.

Edwards unrepentant about his Nessie hump photo hoax | Doubtful News.

Loch Ness area chamber disrespects tourists by throwing researchers under the bus | Doubtful News.

12 comments for “Nessie is MIA

1. RayG
    February 7, 2014 at 10:32 AM

No “confirmed” sightings last year? For the first time in 90 years? How about there hasn’t been a “CONFIRMED” sighting in 90 years.. or even 400 years for that matter…

• Peter Robinson
      February 7, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Well said! I did laff the other day when I heard some old feller on the radio who gave his life to camping by the Loch to see ‘the monster’ claim the closest he had got was 300 metres…

• February 7, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Yep, I thought about that too. But their standards are a bit unfathomable.

2. spookyparadigm
    February 7, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Wait, the same year that interests there were openly pro-hoax, no one wants to say they saw the thing?

It’s almost as if blatant hucksterism is toxic to such legends. Who knew?

• spookyparadigm
      February 7, 2014 at 3:27 PM

PS, if you go look at some of the previous stories (linked in the post above) in the comments I predicted this would come back and hurt the legend and them. I just thought it would take longer.

I wonder when I stopped caring about the Loch Ness Monster. I was obsessed as a child, and always had a soft spot for it even after I realized it was a fiction. But at some point, I became disdainful of the whole business. I think because of people who pushed it too hard when it is so obviously fiction. Even Bigfoot, with all the laws of reality it violates, is at a “common sense” level sort of believable. One has to think a bit about fossils, about ranges, etc.. But with Loch Ness, those pushing the classic monster are so clearly deviating from reality, and doing it in a way that seems insincere, that it becomes obnoxious.

And maybe because it was so important to me as a child, I feel more annoyed by it now.

3. spookyparadigm
    February 7, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Though maybe those who sided with hoaxing can now try to make some money as The Men Who Killed the Loch Ness Monster. Congrats on bagging the prize.

• Gary B
      February 7, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Maybe they could stuff it and take it on tour with Rick Dyers’ bigfoot. Just a thought.

4. Dang
    February 7, 2014 at 4:14 PM

@spookyparadigm That’s how I was: belief/fascination, the self-amusement when I understood it was fiction, and then annoyance whenever I heard others going on about it. But now, I am old enough to see that it’s just the next generation going through the same phases I went through, and it makes me feel good again. I’m not happy they are deluded, but I am happy I wasn’t the only one. (Misery loves company, and all that.)

• spookyparadigm
      February 7, 2014 at 4:50 PM

That’s not really the case here, though. It’s the older people trying to keep selling the story. I think that’s what bothers me here. Someday I should write a semiserious “Snarky Taxonomy of Paranormalists,” and there are many annoying kinds. But one of the worst are the old vested-interest bullshitters. They keep selling variants of a story for decades, and unlike the true believer, don’t even engage with reality or criticism. Because they know they have an audience for their scary/wonder stories, but refuse to admit they’re making it all up as it spoils the take. Many paranormalists love them, and for various reasons, are comfortable being lied to if it scratches certain itches.

That’s way different than either the die-hard believer who keeps banging the same drum sincerely for decades even if that drum isn’t credible anymore, and isn’t fashionable. And it is different from the young who re-invent the wheel through either optimism or ignorance (what you describe).

5. Kitty Lapin Agile
    February 7, 2014 at 5:02 PM
  6. Woody
    February 8, 2014 at 4:20 AM

I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again, the claim that the supposed ‘Loch Ness Monster’ is a plesiosaur doesn’t stand up to reason at all.
    The plesiosaur was an air breather, needing to surface many times a day for oxygen. Plus, the loch was formed at the end of the last ice-age, so the ‘frozen for thousands of years and then thawed out and re-awakened’ claim is useless as well. Besides, there has never been solid evidence of recovery from such a long term freezing when it comes to multi-cellular creatures. The theory doesn’t work biologically or historically, so let’s stop with this stuff. I’ve been to Loch Ness and the way the afternoon sun played on the waves, it was a real indication of just how easy it is to see something that is just not there, especially when you are super-keen to see a monster.

7. February 8, 2014 at 1:26 PM

I don’t see why a photo of Bigfoot’s arm sticking out ot water while swimming has anything to do with Nessie.