Is the ark funded?

Did the Ham on Nye debate spur funding to finally build the ark. Color me VERY skeptical. Ham is slimy.

Noah’s Ark park in Kentucky will be built, officials say.

Founders of Northern Kentucky’s controversial Creation Museum said Thursday that enough money has been raised to proceed with a biblical theme park built around a 510-foot replica of Noah’s Ark.

The museum and its founder, President Ken Ham of Answers in Genesis, gained national attention earlier this month after a debate with Science Guy Bill Nye.

How much they raised hasn’t been immediately clear. The format of the announcement didn’t allow reporters to ask questions. In fact, Ham spent much of the announcement railing against reporters and atheist bloggers for “distortions.”

Answers in Genesis officials said they would continue raising money for various phases of the project, including lifetime “boarding passes” costing $3,000 for families and $2,000 for individuals. Ultimately the project is expected to cost more than $120 million.

An AP piece reported:

Nye said he was “heartbroken and sickened for the Commonwealth of Kentucky” after learning that the project would move forward.

As he should be. This was my fear, that the spectacle of the debate would be to raise money for Ham. But, I don’t trust Ken Ham as far as I can throw them. (And he looked foolish in the debate.) The entire premise of the Creation Museum and Ark Park denies reality. The reality is, why would this be a successful investment when the Museum itself is in rough waters? It’s a ridiculous proposal. While there may be plenty of Americans who like the Noah’s Ark and Creation story, a small percentage will actually visit the attractions. And once is enough, actually. The novelty has wore off as Museum numbers attest. When you are struggling with one boondoggle, why would you think the second will succeed? I don’t. The fact that the bonds idea was a fiasco and no specifics were given (no questions were allowed) had me thinking this is a ploy. When it all falls apart, will Ham claim all the nasty naysayers sabotaged it? Probably. He’s doing that already. Way to be enthusiastic about the project, by playing the victim.

I’ve no doubt that THIS Ark is Doubtful News indeed.

Creation Museum running dry on funds and slow on visitors | Doubtful News.

Farking ark: Trying to float it on faith doesn’t bode well for investors | Doubtful News.

Hamming it up to sustain the sinking Ark boondoggle | Doubtful News.

Ken is mad at us mean ole atheists and bloggers | Doubtful News.

Comments are tightly moderated. Please follow the Comment Policy.

16 comments for “Is the ark funded?

1. Angela
    February 28, 2014 at 9:12 AM

I agree..color me VERY skeptical as well. $3,000 for a lifetime pass? It doesn’t even SOUND realistic. And yes, I have seen the playing of the victim in every walk of belief-based organizations. It is a very easy argument to fall back on when you have no legs to stand on in reality. Sadly..it works. Free ‘psychic’ prediction. He will raise money, the park won’t be built, and he will once again play the victim, therefore earning forgiveness in the hearts of those who gave him money. I would love for someone to get angry enough to demand repayment. Even the publicity of such a demand would get more red flags raised.

• Brian
      March 1, 2014 at 8:17 AM

$3000 for a lifetime pass? Sounds like you would only want to go there once in your life- and as for $3000? I’ll pass.

• BobM
        March 1, 2014 at 5:32 PM

That’s their problem – people only go once :-).

2. Tom
    February 28, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Unfortunately the release of the film “Noah” will undoubtedly spark more interest in the Ark Park and Ham is probably banking on this to help keep the project idea alive, if not financed.

• ZombyWoof
      February 28, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I wonder if the film will show how Noah got the dinosaurs onto the ark. LOL.

• Peter McCarthy
        February 28, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Awesome comment. I forgot Ken had added them in. :-)

3. Lagaya1
    February 28, 2014 at 2:58 PM

OOps! I sent this to you without realizing it was already featured here. Wow! You’re fast!

I especially liked the fact that it has a “10 Plagues Ride”. Who wouldn’t want to try that?!

4. One Eyed Jack
    February 28, 2014 at 5:04 PM

That quoted snip doesn’t read to me like it’s “fully” funded. It sounds more like they have raised enough initial money to break ground, but are taking the rest on faith.

Personally, I anticipate one of two outcomes. 1) they never raise enough to complete it and the project is abandoned, incomplete and donors left holding the bag, or 2) they will scale back the project and end up with a much smaller and less impressive park than planned. Considering how long it has taken them to get this far, I’m wagering on #1.

No matter what happens, Ham will be grinning all the way to the bank.

• Dave From Down Under
      February 28, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Nothing will be created, but a disastrous result will evolve.

5. Woody
    March 1, 2014 at 2:10 AM

I wouldn’t trust Ken Ham as far as you could throw him, either, Sharon.

6. Lakota
    March 1, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Ham will probably use every trick in the book to get it funded or even if it falls through, he made himself out to be an idiot in the debate but a lot of people will still trust him because he ‘did his research’ as my moms said to me. He’s no scientist and he’s def not one of my favorite people…

7. lawn
    March 3, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Come on, would a fine God-fearing fellow like Mr. Ham even consider bearing false witness?

• lawn
      March 3, 2014 at 11:50 AM

As long as I’m here, it’s occurred to me that your “Ham is slimy” comment could also refer to the conditions at the Creation Museum cafeteria. Or maybe the lunch special. Slimy Ham. Yum.

8. Richard
    March 4, 2014 at 3:40 PM

I’m old enough to remember when Jim & Tammy Faye Bakker were building their theme-park/resort/retirement community and selling lots, “life time” passes etc. A lot of people lost a lot of money, and the Bakkers spent time in prison for fraud.

9. Brandon
    March 6, 2014 at 9:53 AM

I wonder what types of animals will be in Ham’s ark. My guess is mice, rats, cockroaches, termites…

10. Mark
    March 7, 2014 at 10:05 AM

$120 million? Given that the Ark itself can be built by one old guy and three of his kids, where’s all that money going?