I’ll show ya how to walk the dog… HUGE treasure found! (UPDATE)

Amazing! Where did it come from?
Calif. Couple Strike $10 Million Gold-Coin Bonanza – ABC News.

A Northern California couple out walking their dog on their property stumbled across a modern-day bonanza: $10 million in rare, mint-condition gold coins buried in the shadow of an old tree.

Nearly all of the 1,427 coins, dating from 1847 to 1894, are in uncirculated, mint condition, said David Hall, co-founder of Professional Coin Grading Service of Santa Ana, which recently authenticated them. Although the face value of the gold pieces only adds up to about $27,000, some of them are so rare that coin experts say they could fetch nearly $1 million apiece.

“I don’t like to say once-in-a-lifetime for anything, but you don’t get an opportunity to handle this kind of material, a treasure like this, ever,” said veteran numismatist Don Kagin, who is representing the finders. “It’s like they found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.”

What makes their find particularly valuable, McCarthy said, is that almost all of the coins are in near-perfect condition. That means that whoever put them into the ground likely socked them away as soon as they were put into circulation.

They are remaining anonymous and plan to sell the collection. They also want to keep the site secret, obviously, in order to avoid another Gold Rush!

This is an amazing historical find. I hope we hear more about who could have hidden the stash there. Always be on the lookout, even when just walking the dog.

Related: Prospectors Say Drought Has Created California’s 2nd Gold Rush « CBS Los Angeles.

UPDATE (26-Feb-2014) Did they come from the San Francisco mint?

Tucked into the Aug. 10, 1901 issue, between political and financial notes and the latest obituaries was this little tidbit:

“The sum of $30,000 in gold coin has recently been stolen from the vault of the cashier of the San Francisco Mint. No trace has been found of the missing gold.”

12 comments for “I’ll show ya how to walk the dog… HUGE treasure found! (UPDATE)

1. Jack
    February 25, 2014 at 10:34 PM

I am not sure if this helps but I once overheard two prisoners talking about something like this when I worked up at Shawshank.

2. John Weber
    February 26, 2014 at 7:18 AM

I wonder if I could borrow that dog for a weekend.

3. February 26, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Why does this story strike me as unlikely? Have I become so jaded that my first thought was “nice scam…wonder what the truth is….”

• John Nowak
      February 26, 2014 at 3:36 PM

It is a wildly unlikely story. If something like “Hey, we just happened to stumble across a quarter ton of cocaine!” came up in a drug possession trial, I wouldn’t be all that impressed.

The thing, though, is that this a horde of gold. Yeah, people did hide the stuff. Yeah, someone might “just find” it. Still, I hope the local police are looking into the possibility it was stolen. I’d be curious to know if there’s been any story along the lines of “Crazy person rumored to be millionaire miser dies suddenly, rumored horde not found” floating around.

4. Sho
    February 26, 2014 at 4:50 PM

This story is shaky in so many ways. First of all, if you ever find this kind of loot DON’T tell anyone. This gold hasn’t been in the ground all these years in open-ended cans and comes out looking like the posted picture of the can and coins. Very likely it was stolen and the poor schmuck is sitting in prison, or has died. I’m sure previous land owners will be coming out of the woodwork now–not to mention the state and feds.

• knightofbob
      February 26, 2014 at 11:00 PM

I don’t know, the oxidation on the cans could easily be from 100 years of being buried (I’ve seen older cans in better shape), and gold is almost impervious to corrosion. I wish the couple would bring in an archaeologist to check over the area. There might not be anything more to find, but it would be worth trying.

5. February 26, 2014 at 8:27 PM

I dunno about the details of the story, but the choice of the title for the DN post is about the coolest I’ve read in a long, long time!

6. Lagaya1
    February 27, 2014 at 2:22 PM

So if they found it was stolen from the mint a hundred years ago (and that makes perfect sense since the coins are uncirculated), will they have to return them? Bummer!