Human Barbie is now a Breatharian

We’ve written about Valeria Lukyanova before and her somewhat odd claims. Now she’s now a “breatharian, a strange and dangerous diet where you do not drink or eat but is suppose to live off of sunlight alone.

Human Barbie, Valeria Lukyanova, Admits She Starves Herself, Lives Off Of Light And Air.

Ukrainian model Valeria Lukyanova, who calls herself a “human Barbie,” has revealed that she has converted into a Breatharian – someone who never eats or drinks.

While plastic surgery and Photoshop have been credited with creating her startling Barbie-like image, the 23-year-old model now says she is training herself to live off only light and air to keep her very thin waist.

“In recent weeks I have not been hungry at all; I’m hoping it’s the final stage before I can subsist on air and light alone,” she said, according to the Daily Mail.

In a recent story, a woman who tried the dangerous diet did not fare too well.  She had to give up after 47 days due to health damage she sustained from the diet. Obviously, this is impossible and dangerous.

real-life-barbie

Tip: Al Stefanelli

Comments are tightly moderated. Please follow the Comment Policy.

25 comments for “Human Barbie is now a Breatharian

1. February 28, 2014 at 6:47 PM

She looks ridiculous. Can there really not be a single person in her circle with even the smallest inkling of common sense?

• J
      February 28, 2014 at 6:56 PM

After all she’s done to herself, I’m not sure anyone could change her mind. Perhaps the more extreme things she’s done has created a bar too high for normal behavior to fulfill?

2. February 28, 2014 at 6:47 PM

There really isn’t that many sunny days in the Ukraine so I guess she’ll starve to death. Sad, really.

• Blargh
      March 1, 2014 at 7:52 AM

I know that was a joke, but still – someone’s wrong on the internetTM! :)
      In terms of sunshine, Ukraine is roughly comparable to Italy.

3. Georg'e
    February 28, 2014 at 7:34 PM

4244 So. Huron She will either die or figure out that teeth were put into a human mouth for a reason. I am reminded of the first “public” BREATHEAIREAN, he showed up on the old Tonight show with Johnny Carson. First time this dullard appeared he just explained how one lives “on breath alone”. Second time he was on the show, they busted him in the green room shoving Snicker’s bars into mouth before his appearance.
    I thought this whole stupid idea had died with him.

• Chris Howard
      March 1, 2014 at 9:59 AM

I remember a few years later he was busted coming out of a Burger King, in Southern California, Whopper, fries, and a drink in hand.

4. Burgonet
    March 1, 2014 at 3:19 AM

Now the reason for the presence of Russian troops is revealed.
    Believe this, or these claims?

I have a bridge to sell you…

5. Brian
    March 1, 2014 at 8:14 AM

I’ll probably get hammered for this, but it is my opinion that she can do what she wants, and when she goes, it will be one less waste of resources on the planet, and maybe the person who will be born to fill her spot will be a lot better than she was at it. I personally think everyone who decides nonsense like this should be allowed to do whatever, as long as their actions will not affect anyone else PHYSICALLY. Wanna eat sunshine and air? Go ahead. Wanna cut up sticks of TNT and ride a paint shaker? Have at it. The world would be a much better place without these lunatic cases running about and pretty much taking up space and resources that could be put to better use. Like my wife just said: she’s a grown woman, and it’s her choice. It’s a stupid choice, but it’s still HER CHOICE. Can’t argue with logic like that.

• Clint
      March 1, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Correct Brian. A man should never argue with his wife’s logic.

• Joe
      March 1, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I have to say I agree… she seems pretty with-it for her mental faculties in that she’s making what appear to be reasoned decisions. Not logical and obviously *poorly* reasoned decisions, but as Brian pointed out, her decisions. If she’s mentally ill, she needs help. If she’s just weird, either she’ll stop herself before she dies or she’ll commit to it completely. The world will forget she was wrong soon enough (she has to do *something* to stay in the news!) or she’ll just disappear into the nothingness. I really don’t care much either way at this point… she’ll do what she’s going to do and it will be one less fool in the world if she does die from it. Hopefully they won’t have to spend public money to sustain her as she withers away… THAT would be a crime!

• Chris Howard
      March 1, 2014 at 10:34 AM

For the most part I think it’s okay to live a “do what thou wilt be the whole of the law,” lifestyle, but there’s a limit to it.

When it steers off into right-libertarianism then we’ve just entered the rights ideological version of communism. Both sound great in theory, but are practical impossibilities.

The rub is this, at what point should we (society) intervene? I think that question is ideologically simple, but in reality is complex.

Is she of unsound mind, and therefore even capable of making a sound decision? Would she, for example, make the same decisions if she were mentally well? So, being “grown” doesn’t, necessarily, mean that one is capable of making sound decisions regarding themselves, or others.

The greater concern is a general mindlessness, or lack of concern for the possible effects ones actions may have on others.

A HUGE amount of the worlds problems would never occur if people would simply consider that their behavior (and subsequent beliefs) effects others (mindfulness).

Just simple questions, like:

-How would this effect my friends, and family?

-Does my behavior/beliefs have the potential to cause harm?

-What is my motivation for doing this?

I would argue that the overwhelming majority of the worlds misery comes from the habit of assuming that what one does effects no one but them self.

Then when they, inevitably, get called out for behavior that does adversely effect others they usually claim that they had no idea that their actions would cause another harm, when in reality the didn’t do the necessary due diligence and even take a second to consider that they might cause harm.

Or they excuse their behavior by insisting that their right to do what ever they want is absolute, and narcissistically claim that everyone is trampling THEIR rights.

This particular case is tricky though. It’s not like she’s indoctrinating kids with her anti-factual beliefs, which could harm them later in life. And she isn’t physically harming anyone, but herself, so…

• WMcCreery
      March 1, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I agree! As long as she doesn’t drag anyone down with her!

• justmk
      March 2, 2014 at 2:24 AM

I completely agree. There are far to many people with such unrealistic and purposefully ignorant convictions. Let them be happy, and die doing it. I will give her this though. Its probably the funniest thing I’ve ever read. Life would be so much more boring without people like this.

6. Old Muley
    March 1, 2014 at 9:11 AM

It makes a lot more sense if you just consider it to be “performance art”.

7. Svetlana
    March 2, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I agree with you, Brian – she is an adult and can do what she wants. Oftentimes when a woman does something stupid, people run to her rescue and talk about “mental illness” when they would not do this for a man. It’s a pity, but it is her choice.

8. Christina
    March 2, 2014 at 5:10 PM

I might be one in a thousand, but all I have to say is she did what she wanted and bravo to her. Doesn’t hurt me emotionally, physically, or mentally so keep doing what you want to do!

9. BobM
    March 2, 2014 at 6:41 PM

This might sound a bit harsh but this is simply a question of evolution in action. Although to be honest I doubt that she will actually starve to death. Apparently she’s a publicity hound :-).

• March 2, 2014 at 6:46 PM

It’s not evolution, she is not a ‘population’. She is just one person making strange decisions.

10. WMcCreery
    March 2, 2014 at 8:23 PM

I second that!!

11. Chris Howard
    March 3, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Devils advocate:

Eating disorders kill, almost, as many people (cases in males is up) as ALL other mental disorders combined.

So should we really be saying, in essence, “Let her become physically ill/die, if that’s what she wants?”

Would we be so flippant if it were our daughter, brother, mother who did this? Doesn’t this speak to empathy and compassion, which could be argued is the basis for a healthy society?

Isn’t she an individual account of a larger societal problem (eating disorders)?

After all, societal problems are nothing more than a lot of individuals with similar, to identical, pathologies and symptoms i.e., she is an individual with an eating disorder.

Is adulthood (a legal definition, not a psychological one) the best indication of maturity? Does being a certain age automatically mean that you are psychologically capable of making healthy decisions?

Shouldn’t we, at least, ask if she is of sound mind, rather than assuming that she is? Shouldn’t we ask that of anyone in a similar situation (male or female, or other)?

Just sayin’

12. WMcCreery
    March 3, 2014 at 11:45 AM

What nare you going to do ? Force feed her?

• Chris Howard
      March 3, 2014 at 12:02 PM

If she does have an eating disorder, then yes. That is what you do, in some cases. (I worked in mental health for around seven years, at a psychiatric hospital, and my degree is in psychology/sociology philosophy of science, so this isn’t an argument from ignorance).

It works in much the same way that you keep drugs away from addicts, possible means of killing ones self away from the suicidal, and weapons away from violent anti-social people.

With an eating disorder you keep the person alive so that they have a chance to get to a point in their life where they can make rational, healthy choices.

My opinion is that if she is of sound-mind then her decisions are one thing, but if her decisions are from a position of mental instability then that must be addressed first, so that she can make the best decisions for her.

13. WMcCreery
    March 3, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Good Luck proving that!

• Chris Howard
      March 3, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Diagnosis of an eating disorder?

14. Mike
    March 5, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Is that a picture of a real person? She really lands in the “uncanny valley” area.