Bullet in a Bible

What if he was reading the Satanic Bible instead? Yep, that might have worked just as well. It’s physics, not a miracle.

Dayton RTA driver saved by religious text

Rickey Wagoner, 49, of Trotwood, was assaulted by three men in the 1900 block of Lakeview Avenue, while standing outside of his bus.

Three shots were fired at Wagoner — one struck him in the right leg and two were fired into his chest. Police said those bullets were stopped by some sort of “intervention.”

“The two bullets were stopped by the New Testament book in his (shirt) pocket,”Pauley said. Police later referred to the book as a religious devotional titled “The Message,” which is a modern translation of the Bible.

“There was obviously some kind of intervention involved in this incident, because he probably should not be here,” Pauley said.

Sgt. Michael Pauley from the Dayton Police says that Wagoner’s injuries are not life threatening and he will be OK.

There have been no arrests nor are any suspects named yet, but it might look like this is related to gang violence. A possible initiation ritual of sorts.

Regardless, ANY reasonably thick book would have slowed the bullet. It just so happens that religious texts are made in pocket sizes and often carried, thus, they are credited with softening the blows. This story is bolstered by religious belief of the victim and the readers but it’s not any sort of evidence for divine intervention.

Here are other similar stories: Reported Accounts of When a Bible Stops a Bullet – Yahoo Voices

Tip: @mirandachale on Twitter

A REALLY GREAT concert film too…

8 comments for “Bullet in a Bible

1. Mr B
    February 25, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Reminded me of this old Woody Allen bit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-RoQ9AXERw

2. February 25, 2014 at 12:28 PM

If this is a miracle I guess Theodore Roosevelt was saved by a holy eye glass case.

3. Travis Thompson
    February 25, 2014 at 1:02 PM

My Great Grandfather had his pocket bible stop a bullet from a German machine gun hitting his chest during WWI, I even got to see it once. It didnt stop the other 5 rounds from hitting him or the gas he was exposed to after but hey, who counts the misses eh?

4. Douglas Boyle
    February 25, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Apparently god didn’t give a crap about his leg or the kid with the knife. What I’m most doubtful about in this is not that the guy was saved by a book in his pocket (though I’m still calling BS until I know more about the gun used) but rather that this had anything to do with a “gang initiation”. All to often that get’s thrown out there when there’s a violent crime and zero credibility to back it up.

5. peter mccarthy
    February 25, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I was nearly shot in the backside once but saved by a stick book (an Aussie term for a Mens Magazine).

To my surprise the Media didn’t attribute any special meaning to the event.

:-)

Love the site btw. It gives me great material to insert into my FB page.

6. Adam
    February 26, 2014 at 4:39 AM

This is hardly surprising. There are civil war accounts of bullets being stopped by objects. e.g. Lt Dixon had a coin, his “life preserver” which stopped a bullet. Sadly for Lt Dixon it was found next to his remains on the submarine Hunley after it sank.

I suppose in a war the frequency of such coincidences and lucky escapes is higher so it seems less extraordinary than it might during peacetime.

7. Peebs
    February 26, 2014 at 5:29 PM

I’m reminded of a scene in one of our classic comedies (OnlyFools and horses) this side of the pond
    “This cigarette case was in your Great Grandfather’s breast pocket when he was hit by a bullet”.

“Wow, it saved his life then?”

“No, it bounced off, went up his nose and blew his brains out”.

8. Walter
    February 27, 2014 at 3:20 PM

I annoyed quite a few folks on another site by suggesting that a rolled up copy of Hustler would have done the same thing.