Another Hell House, book and website. Honestly, this is getting old…

Another “Hell House” story. This one was previously investigated and popularized by Ryan Buell’s Paranormal Research Society group (who called it the “HellMouth“).

[Buell recalls] “I saw a metal crucifix bend right in front of us, and there was a blood-like substance that materialized on the walls,” he says. (A forensics team confirmed that it was blood and “flesh-like material.”) “The producers were also there to put together a presentation piece,” Buell adds. “They were supposed to be with us for the whole weekend but they ended up fleeing after four hours. One guy started crying and said, ‘This is not what I signed up for!’ “

via Paranormal State’s Ryan Buell: My Top 3 Spookiest Encounters – TV News : People.com.

Now the owner is writing a book. He claims that he is a credible witness of a demonic invasion of his house. His website is here.

I think this sounds like every other “demon” encounter where there is zero evidence besides people’s word for it. If you are trying to convince me of demons or even a haunted house, that is practically worthless.

Ex-County Commissioner Authors Book About Dark Forces Haunting His Home.

Inside the inviting turn-of-the-century house on Brownsville Road in Brentwood, former Allegheny County commissioner Bob Cranmer says a two-year battle is being waged between good and evil — God and the devil.

“I think I have a credibility that when I say something happened, folks can believe it. This isn’t some flat Earth, alien abduction story. This happened,” says Cranmer.

It began happening shortly after he, his wife and their four kids bought the house in 1988.

What seemed to be bumps in the night, turned into something more. They began seeing a dark pillar that moved through the house with a repulsive, acrid smell.

Now he’s written this book – “The Demon of Brownsville Road.”

“I feel a responsibility to tell this story in a rational, sound manner to tell people it’s all real,” Cranmer said. “It’s true. Good and evil exists.”

Cranmer and his family say it is no longer a matter of faith. That they have direct knowledge of good and evil, the devil and the power of God.

Phenomena including stopped clocks, art work turned upside down, bent crucifixes, shattered rosary beads, people being moved and scratched at night, and a blood-like substance on the walls and ceiling. All of your standard haunted house fare, none of which has to be attributed to supernatural entities but can be accomplished by accidents, certain circumstances or deliberate human involvement.

A paranormal team led by Adam Blai also believed the house was haunted by demons. He later became an exorcist trainer. So no actual unbiased scientists or home inspectors are noted to have checked out the house. The only stories mentioned come from paranormal believers.

Photo credit: KDKA

Photo credit: KDKA

I’m sorry if people think I sound cynical about demon houses but we hear this same story over and over again – people experience strange things in their house they can’t explain and the story then evolves into a religious and pop culture-fed tale of horror. No better documentation EVER comes out. It’s just a story, often told for money. So, I can’t help but be cynical. We’ve tried for centuries to get better solid evidence for ghosts, hauntings and demons and there is NONE. Just more fictional-sounding stories.

Here is more about the house from last year: Evidence gives support to tales of local history in South Hills area | TribLIVE. Note the possible graves and evidence of murder but that, IN NO WAY, can be connected to what is going on the house except by our own perception.

Comments are tightly moderated. Please follow the Comment Policy.

24 comments for “Another Hell House, book and website. Honestly, this is getting old…

1. AngelaSangster
    February 13, 2014 at 9:29 PM

I was glad that you added this one..so many of the pages are obviously gearing toward a credulous audience.   The stories have been told for some time in the paranormal circles, however lately the trend seems to be an attempt to give credibility by appealing to authority.  The house in Gary that Bagans purchased has similar claims of witnesses that ‘saw things first hand’ and focus on the positions these people hold.  (or in this case, formerly held.)   When the facts are broken down and examined–it is the same old claims and the same tired stories.

(yes I’m cynical about these ‘demon houses’ as well).

2. Artor
    February 15, 2014 at 11:01 PM

That looks like a pretty nice house, I’d be happy to buy it. For cheap, of course, since it’s “haunted,” and all. Surely they’d knock $50K off the price for that, right? Does it come with a pesky, credulous County Commissioner though? That would be worse than the haunting.

• Chris Howard
      February 16, 2014 at 8:57 PM

The commissioner is extra, but it does come with a Native-American burial ground, and well of souls.

3. February 17, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Dear Sharon,

You look a little young (pretty though) to be so certain of things you obviously don’t understand. Before you pass judgment with your wealth of wisdom and life experience you should at least read the book. You owe me that much before slamming down your gavel. :)

And I think that Cardinal Wuerl is a pretty solid reference.

Best Regards,

Bob Cranmer
    Brentwood, PA

• February 18, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Nice judgement. Completely inappropriate.

I’m not the one making an extraordinary claim, you are. The burden of proof is on you. As I say in the post, I’m tired of reading story after story that sound like Hollywood movies. Intelligent people have been looking for good evidence for ghosts and demons rather seriously since the 19th century. Actual science progresses, this is folklore. If you make such a claim, you need to expect skepticism. I’m not much for religious authorities so no, I don’t call a priest a “solid reference”.

• Chris Howard
      February 18, 2014 at 10:57 AM

-What other possible explanations have you considered, tested, and eliminated as potential sources of said phenomena?

-Why couldn’t the phenomena be UFO’s, fairies, gremlins, or time travelers? Why does it have to be “demonic”?

-Isn’t it a logical leap to say graves, (perceived) strange events, and stories equal demons?

-Has everyone who has investigated the phenomena been biased towards a supernatural explanation, or have they been open to other, more mundane, possibilities?

-And if I may, how personally invested in a “Good v. Evil” narrative are you? Is this a worldview that you have grown up with, cherish, and want to believe?

Personally, I find that I have an emotional component to my biases. I become upset when people challenge my beliefs, and am gratified when they agree with my beliefs.

That’s, usually, a sign that I’m biased, and should step back and try to falsify my belief(s).

Of course a bias doesn’t necessarily mean that I’m, or you for that matter, are wrong, but it does mean that I need to take my biases into consideration, otherwise my judgement will be clouded, and my conclusions less accurate than they could be.

• DoctorAtlantis
      February 28, 2014 at 4:53 PM

I’m old and ugly – can I add that I *also* don’t see much evidence here? Anecdotes are not the antidote to a lack of demonstrable proof. I just listened to your interview on Darkness radio and while Ryan Buell’s experiences sounded spectacular, like the recent demon case in Gary, Indiana all we ever get are stories. The problem there is that the human mind is a TERRIBLE measure of what is real and what is not.

There are several scientific groups that would be interested in taking a look at your case if you’re still getting active “paranormal” experiences. There are large cash prizes if you can demonstrate paranormal activity under scientific test conditions.

What do you think about having some trained skeptical investigators coming to see the phenomena?

• Caoimhin
        March 1, 2014 at 6:09 PM

“There are large cash prizes if you can demonstrate paranormal activity under scientific test conditions.”

[Deep raspy voice of someone, who’s smoked 1000 cigarettes a day for forty years, from the a face which looks like an exploded green gremlin]

‘That’s much too vulgar a display of power, Doctor.’

I listened to the interview and it was not the talk of the ‘demon’ that intrigued me – rather something else, which has me believing him.

Which is neither here nor there I suppose.

Bob, can I get a free copy ? Give my address in Ireland and will tell you what has me believe you.

Sure life is full of strangeness. What makes it interesting.

Movie quote above anyone ? Sorry for digression. Have a lovely day everyone.

Greetings from the Emerald Isle.

4. Chris Howard
    February 19, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Here’s the link from the “Hell House” site to the “faithful vs skeptic” debate on another blog.

genealogyreligion.net/exorcists-creationists-maccabees

The interesting responses to the one lone skeptic, Cris, appear to be very personal.

As in a lot of people seem to take offense at someone asking simple questions, or pointing out glaring inconsistencies, and logical fallacies.

Bob, the owner of the house, and Cris are having a very civil conversation. Bob invites Cris to his house so that Cris can experience the phenomena first hand.

Both parties seem very sincere. I’d like to see how this turns out.

5. March 1, 2014 at 1:28 AM

Was excited about this show on Coast to Coast tonight, but after reading your blog, and hearing the first few minutes of the guest, which are dreadfully dull, I think I’m going to just go to bed. Nice work here.

• March 1, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Well that explains why I got some nastygram comments on this post last night. :-) Thanks.

Note to commenters whose quotes are NOT appearing: The story remains ridiculous no matter what names you call me or insults you sling. The evidence SUCKS.

6. marc wayne
    March 1, 2014 at 2:43 AM

Come on people if this phenomena continued for years, especially blood like substance dripping down the walls, why didn’t Bob take video of it? If my dog does a funny trick I’m reaching for a camera immediately. If a demon is missing with my rosary beads every night, twisting the chain to my closet light bulb 30 seconds after I walk away, and blood like substance is oozing down 3 floors of walls in my house for YEARS, anybody would quickly document it with a video camera. The fact that he can only reference his own stories and has never addressed the question of why he didn’t take video of the phenomena says to me he is a charlatan, a liar.

Bob Cranmer, answer my question, why did you never document all this stuff with video during the years of daily torment and phenomena? Answer it directly, specifically, and completely. I’ve got to hear the diverting yarn you spin about this.

Also, shame on the radio host Dave Schrader for not asking this obvious question and consciously being complicit by enabling these liars. He is part of the marketing of these ideas. Dave why didn’t you ask my aforementioned obvious question during your multiple interview performances where you asked Bob the same questions each time?

• March 3, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Well, since Ms. idoubtit seems to be incapable of engaging in a dialog in which her emotions will play to her disadvantage you’ll probably never see any replies from me Marc, as she will not post them. (I’m considered spam even though I’m the topic – interesting.) My book hasn’t been published yet and there are pictures in it. Not only did I take pictures of the mysterious “fluid” I still have some of it dried on wallpaper that we replaced.

When the book is finally published people can accept it or reject it for what it is – believe it or not. I’m certainly not going to get all worked up about it, I can show the physical evidence I still have, but when I show a broken crucifix I obviously can’t prove that I personally didn’t break it.

But the one thing I can present are multiple groups of un-related people who all experienced the same phenomenon (over months), so at some point rational deduction is forced to conclude “something beyond our current understanding of the metaphysical was at play”. Religious or not denial becomes increasingly difficult that something in fact did occur.

Bob Cranmer

• March 3, 2014 at 12:54 PM

You are considered unreliable, Mr. Cranmer. And if you read the Comment Policy, which it seems you have not, you’ll notice this is not a debate forum and this WILL NOT BE your chance to grandstand.

It’s clear you find skepticism to your extraordinary claims unpalatable. But objections shall stand. Your story is not proof.

• March 3, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Oh quite the contrary, I don’t object at all and fully understand reasonable skepticism. In fact I welcome it. How you could label my comment as “grandstanding” is beyond me. It’s reasonable and lucid. I’m not debating you, just stating my position.

7. March 1, 2014 at 2:50 PM

You are quite right to be doubtful. No data was gathered by any independent or scientific investigators, no proper or independent tests were done, and we just have to take Bob’s word for it.

When you argue an entire case on the basis of your alleged authority (or standing in the community), and your credibility, it should raise many red flags. And having your story backed up a few believers (like Adam Blai and priests) does not make it any stronger.

Bob’s story is for the credulous and faithful. There is no evidence in his story which should cause skeptics to have doubt. I’m still looking for that kind of data and evidence.

8. Guest
    March 3, 2014 at 7:35 AM

It seems that Bob had some family issues. Maybe that can be connected to the phenomena: http://old.post-gazette.com/localnews/20030916cranmer0916p5.asp

• March 3, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Interesting. This story continues to have FAR better explanations than demons. No surprise.

9. March 3, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Cranmer said his son has bipolar disorder, also known as manic depression, making him prone to extreme mood swings and fits of rage.

via Police accuse Cranmer of attacking son.

10. Big_E
    April 5, 2014 at 10:10 AM

During his interview on Darkness Radio when he was talking about the incident with his son, he makes reference to a “court ordered expulsion” in which he was unable to be at his home for 2 months, after which the “demonic” attacks on his family mysteriously resumed.

Which is more plausible, demonic attacks via the supernatural realm or domestic abuse committed by someone who has had a restraining order filed against them? Some of Bob’s supporters say that he has no motivation to make this story up, but blaming the devil for your own misdeeds is one of the world’s oldest excuses.

11. Erik
    May 1, 2014 at 1:08 AM

“You look a little young (pretty though) to be so certain of things you obviously don’t understand.”

OMG. So freaking condescending and rude. UGH. How do you deal with that?

12. Walter
    May 1, 2014 at 6:50 AM

You know, if I had mysterious stuff oozing out of my walls, the first thing I’d want to do is have it tested to find out what it was. Last time I checked, there are several top universities in the Pittsburgh area and numerous research labs. Surely a county commissioner would have enough connections to get something like this tested.

13. Phil
    May 1, 2014 at 8:41 AM

If this gentleman is serious about his claim of experiencing supernatural phenomena, then I challenge him to contact the James Randi Educational Fund and apply for the $1 million challenge to prove what he claims is true. If he does not take this up then it can only be concluded that he is claims are false!

14. Kelly
    May 8, 2014 at 8:30 PM

I think it’s funny that the demon just “gave up”. It’s a bad day for demons;-)