I have heard of people’s clothing or hair getting stuck but this went one step further.
A WOMAN has died after her scarf got caught in an escalator in a Montreal subway stop.
The woman was riding the down escalator at the Fabre Metro station when her scarf became trapped.
“The lady took the escalators, her scarf got caught into the escalators and at the bottom it got tied up around her neck and it strangled her or she has passed away in the Metro,” a police spokesman told Canada’s Global News.
From the article, she was alone, she may have fallen, and she was in an unsupervised area. A witness came upon her and called emergency services.
It’s not know if the escalator malfunctioned. She died of cardiac arrest. Officials will examine footage from security cameras in an investigation into the incident.
There are some 16,000 escalator injuries reported each year in the U.S. [Source] but most are not serious. Some are.