I never understood why God would care about the outcome of a sporting event. With all the strife in the world, he’s going to listen to your fervent wish for your “team” to win?

Half Of Americans Say God Plays A Role In Super Bowl Winner: Survey.

Two weeks ahead of the Super Bowl, half of American sports fans say they believe God or a supernatural force is at play in the games they watch, according to a new survey.

That percentage includes Americans who pray for God to help their team (26 percent), think their team has been cursed (25 percent) or more generally believe God is involved in determining who wins on the court or in the field (19 percent). Overall, half of Americans fall into one of these groups, according to the survey Public Religion Research Institute released Tuesday.

Football fans were the most likely to pray for their own teams to win, with 33 percent saying they ask God to intervene in games, compared to 21 percent of fans of other sports. They were also more likely to think their teams were cursed (31 percent compared to 18 percent) and to take part in rituals before or during games (25 percent to compared to 18 percent).

Just as they were divided on whether God has a role in sports games, Americans also were divided on whether God rewards religious athletes with health and success. Forty-eight percent of Americans said God does reward athletes this way, but 47 percent disagreed. The belief that God will help religious athletes was most prominent among white evangelicals (62 percent) and non-white Protestants (65 percent). A little more than one-fifth of the religiously unaffiliated held the same view.

Good to see God has His priorities straight. Why bother trying to help and save poor starving people in third world countries when he can help The Giants win the Superbowl, right? It’s interesting to see what people think God and religion is good for. I can’t say this is too impressive, to think that an almightly being cares which team gets a ball across a line more often. But it does suggest that Man made God for his own purposes rather than the other way around…

Has sports overtaken religion as the current opiate of the masses? More like they blurred together. We sure take our sports seriously. Well, some of us do. It’s escapism. Asking God for favors is nothing new. Asking to give your team a win does seem more selfish and crass than asking for protection, relief from illness, or a good harvest.

Lutheran Pastor Delivers 1-Minute Service to Watch 49ers Beat Panthers.

The king of all religious-based sports MUST be NASCAR — NASCAR JESUS | NASCAR. They thank GOD even before they thank their sponsors!

Note: Nope, we’re not fans of sports or religion. But, it’s rather amusing for them to be smooshed together in pop culture.

god loves football

No hate comments, please, they won’t be published.

Comments are tightly moderated. Please follow the Comment Policy.

26 comments for “Thank God he let us win today

1. Mac
    January 16, 2014 at 1:55 PM

I have mused over this very question a lot. Theater folks do it as well. They gather in a circle before a show and ask the great one to allow them to present the show well…as if they have no talent, that’s why they were chosen for the part right?
    Sorry, I just don’t get it.

• Bob
      January 18, 2014 at 9:09 AM

I too participate in local theater and have observed this phenomenon of praying before a performance. I simply walk away and get into character.

• One Eyed Jack
      January 20, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Better yet, try and tell a performer “good luck” before a performance. I scoffed at this superstition years back in a local theater production I was part of. The level of emotion and vitriol I received from some of the cast was akin to religious fundamentalism.

2. Neil J
    January 16, 2014 at 2:02 PM

I’m always astounded by the arrogance masquerading as humility shown by these religious professional athletes. “I didn’t do it, God deserves all of the credit” is the same thing as “God chose me to win over the other guy”. It’s an unbelievably egotistical thing to say, but these athletes are usually commended for saying it. I’d be offended as hell if I were one of the coaches, family members or teammates that had helped the athlete achieve success, only to have the fruits of my efforts ascribed to divine providence.

I do love watching me some football though. GO RIDERS! And 49ers, I guess, since the CFL season is over.

3. January 16, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Are these the same half of the US population that doesn’t believe in evolution?

I don’t follow sports much (except that last year the Atlanta Falcons managed to negotiate a new billion-dollar stadium, and the Braves are getting a new baseball stadium in the Burbs), but it seems to me politics is also a form of religion. I heard an interesting comment, you hear the sports players and coaches interviewed in the media, they’ll give their opponents the credit they’re due, which DOES NOT HAPPEN in politics.

4. Chris Howard
    January 16, 2014 at 2:08 PM

As an aside, Jesus votes Republican, too. ;-)

5. January 16, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Utter spherical objects. As ex pat Brit/Irish, mad as a box of frogs (had to insult my French hosts of course too), have to repeat the line about rugby – Brit version of American football, played without all the body armour, other than a box to protect their nuts, sometimes & a gum shield – “A game played by overgrown boys with odd shaped balls”. Neither God or any other diety has yet helped me win the lottery or got particularly annoying ads off the tv, no matter how hard i beg. perhaps they have got the wrong diety & it’s a pagan god of sports they’re praying to. Hail Ninkasi, goddess of beer.

6. Irritated Kalifornian
    January 16, 2014 at 3:11 PM

If there really is a God he/she would let the Cubs win a World Series more than once a century.And Ben B. Didn’t the Braves just get a new stadium?

7. cwart
    January 16, 2014 at 3:31 PM

The big guy is probably making the odd bet on the games every now and then as well…. why else would he make one team or the other win?

8. Lagaya1
    January 16, 2014 at 3:42 PM

I don’t understand the point of watching a sporting event if the players skills have no bearing on the outcome. I love football, (although I realize that it’s only slightly less primitive than boxing, which I hate). If I thought the game was rigged, I wouldn’t care to watch.

9. ZombyWoof
    January 16, 2014 at 3:44 PM

And “God” has to help both teams when only one can win. I wonder how he works that out. Does it depend on how many people on each side pray to him?

• Chris Howard
      January 17, 2014 at 8:12 AM

The “other” team is, obviously, praying to Satan. Duh? ;-)

10. January 16, 2014 at 6:43 PM

The diety(ies are) is busy making a killing at the bookies fixing matches. Read a different take on Augoeides – a “Magik” site (stop sniggering!) – i take info from all extremes, that actually rips the magik angle to shreds & piss takes too. My new hosts had god on their side in WWII as well & that’s why they surrendered, knowing the Germans would realise Germany would hear the word of the lord & they’d get their country back without a fight & further bloodshed. Aye me arse & parsley or the Frog version “Et mon cul est poulet?” (my arse is chicken). Ascribing more & more totally random unpredictable events, like outcomes of sports games to divine intervention is utter crap. Frankly i think the number of religious extremists of all ilks is actually getting smaller, but the remaining verbal diarrea spouting exponents are just getting more vociferous & extreme.

11. John B
    January 16, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Isn’t praying to God that “your” team will win just asking Him to throw the game? Isn’t that cheating?

12. Bill
    January 16, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Call me crazy, but I see stupidity and religion as distinct issues.

13. January 17, 2014 at 6:01 PM

I can’t tell you how much it irritates me when I see teammates from my NFL team (Giants) sit down with opponents from the other team and pray after the game, especially when the other team just be mine. I have nothing against religious expression but don’t make a public spectacle of it, which incidentally, is something even the Bible tells you not to do.

Actually, this whole story reminds me of an expression I look for every conceivable opportunity to reiterate, which is;

“Religion is like a penis. It’s great that you have one and you should be absolutely proud of it. But when you start putting it in my face… then we’re going to have a problem!”

14. spookyparadigm
    January 17, 2014 at 6:16 PM

I teach at a university and therefore withhold comment.

• Chris Howard
      January 18, 2014 at 6:56 AM

You choose not to comment about religion, or penises? Or is that peni?

• spookyparadigm
        January 18, 2014 at 2:30 PM

No, the more dangerous topic, the role of sports in American culture.

• January 18, 2014 at 3:38 PM

spookyparadigm – That’s a helluva problem in many countries – sports is a fundamentalist religion in many countries for too many people! Lot of bars in parts of UK & Ireland ban people entering with sports t shirts, because of all the fights it starts. My stepson, here in Frogland gets abuse from his own townspeople for wearing the city’s football (soccer) t shirt. Crazy sports can unite folk & cause riots at the same time. The stories about the human mind & mentality here fascinate me more that the suspersticion & “paranormal” articles often.

• spookyparadigm
            January 19, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Our issues with this are different, and involve less bad behavior by fans and more vast amounts of money, and the side effects that come with that.

15. January 18, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Oddly, when I was a kid going to Catholic school and playing on the basketball team, our pre-game prayers would consist of asking God for a good game and no injuries. It was presumed that winning or losing was down to us.

16. YetAnoutherBrian
    January 20, 2014 at 3:25 PM

I was watching the Denver game with a couple of Pats fans and before kickoff they said a prayer for victory prior to the game. I asked how they thought god decided who would win, since I am sure every one is praying equally hard. They where Stumped of course, then I mentioned that if you look at a teams historical performance and Super Bowl wins you could feasibly determine which team and city God likes best. Several years ago I did some very sketchy statistical analysis and determined that God prefers Pittsburgh and San Francisco. Further this questionable line of logic could also infer that since God likes San Fran then he must also be okay with gay people.

I should publish this and see if I can get an Ignoble.

17. paul
    January 20, 2014 at 11:00 PM

as an aside, Jesus votes Democratic, too

• Chris Howard
      January 21, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Nuh-uh! ;-)

18. January 21, 2014 at 6:11 PM

“half of American sports fans say they believe God or a supernatural force is at play in the games they watch…”

I hate surveys that mush up their questions. Was it God? or ESP? or telekinesis on that last field goal kick?