Target asthma “treatment” – there’s NOTHING IN IT

On January 14, Science-based Pharmacy blog posted this story about a Target brand asthma “remedy” on the shelf.

Does Target sell the most irresponsible homeopathic remedy ever? | Science-Based Pharmacy.

This is a homeopathic (nothing in it) treatment, not a rescue inhaler. But unless you know about the joke that homeopathy is (and NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE DO), this is a deceptive and irresponsible product to manufacture and sell. The post created substantial interest. A followup was posted 2 days later.

Looking for the medicine in Target’s asthma remedy | Science-Based Pharmacy.

Tuesday’s post on Target’s decision to sell homeopathy for the treatment of asthma stirred a lot of questions towards Target, given their decision to market the a product that has no proven medical benefit.

This product is labelled as a oral asthma spray. But it contains absolutely no medicinal ingredients to treat asthma. It is no more an “asthma” spray than it a remedy to treat diabetes or arthritis.

Target is selling an asthma “treatment” that is chemically indistinguishable from water, and taking advantage of consumers to sell an ineffective product, that if used in place of real medicine, could cause life-threatening harm. Target and its pharmacists have a professional and ethical responsibility to stop selling this product, immediately.

Now, a petition is being circulated and Target is facing heat for this product. The petition is nearly at it’s 1000 signature goal. Add yours.

Petition | Remove homeopathic products for asthma or other life threatening illnesses and review efficacy of treatments before selling them. | Change.org.
oral-asthma-spray

7 comments for “Target asthma “treatment” – there’s NOTHING IN IT

1. January 19, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Added my name to the petition a few days ago.

2. January 19, 2014 at 7:49 PM

I have two thoughts: First, since it contains NOTHING, that $127.92 per pint thing should actually have an infinity sign in place of the dollar value.

Second, even with as much of a ripoff this is (and yes, “Tar-jay,” you really Should Not sell such crap), there is some “good news” about it containing nothing. I think you should do a separate post about this story from Tim Farley (link is to his tweet) on some “alternative medicine” pills painted with LEAD-CONTAINING RED PAINT, and it’s NOT diluted at 10x or 30x, either:

3. Blargh
    January 19, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Already done. :)

4. Tom
    January 20, 2014 at 1:50 AM

The purpose of homeopathy peddlers is to make money and more money. The sooner “fans” of this rubbish wake up to the fact, the sooner the peddlers will be put out of business. It is time that the media HEADLINED these despicable charlatans instead of relegating them to the the “imagine that” sections

5. Captain Bee Fart
    January 22, 2014 at 1:24 PM

What’s next? Homeopathetic anasthesia? Homeopathic insulin? Homeopathic lethal injection? I’m not confident a petition would have much effect on an organization so mercenary and ethically compromized, but economic boycott is a message they’d receive loud and clear.

6. January 23, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I just wrote an e-mail to Target’s product safety department. I honestly doubt anyone at Target really understood that they were selling a fake product. I’m not sure how these mega-stores make their decisions about what products to sell. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and just blame it on ignorance. The real indicator will be Target’s response. Hopefully they will remove this product from their shelves. I have asthma and would hate to get that thing mixed up with my RX inhaler when having an attack.

7. matt zencat999
    January 24, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I just called my local target dept store. asked politely for the product by name and brand. she went to look it up and said that they seem to be out of stock..and started to say.”.can I order some for you?”. she didnt even get the first part of that sentence out when I said in a firm, loud, but polite voice, not shouting or ranting..”.good, dont sell that c**p any more..its nothing but water..it has no medicine in it at all…its nothing but water…its going to kill people…target needs to take it off the shelf for good and never sell that c**p again.”
    I was able to repeat something like that about 3x …then thanked her politely for her time, to which she said thanx, and I hung up.
    helpful? maybe….but I sure feel better. they dont want complaints, so they may see the easier thing to do would be to pull the product and/or replace it with something real………….maybe.
    cheers&aloha