Snorting candy: Kids are dumb, some school officials are too

Yes, kids do stupid things. They always have and always will. But school officials saying dumb things to go along with it is NOT HELPING.

Middle school warns snorting Smarties may lead to nasal maggots | wtsp.com.

Officials at a Portsmouth Middle School in Rhode Island warned parents last week that they recently became aware of a trend where students were crushing the classic candies into a “fine powder” while still in the wrapper, then either putting the powder in their mouths and exhaling it through the mouth or nose like cigarette smoke, or using a straw or rolled up piece of paper to snort the powder as if it were cocaine.

Nothing new. This type of nonsense has been going on for over 30 years. I’ll attest to stupid kids in my own grade school crushing Tart n’ Tiny candies and mimicking cocaine use. I don’t know why and it gave them nose bleeds but it has NOTHING to do with maggots. Maybe this is just a ploy to gross kids out so they won’t do it. You will not get maggots up your nose but you look like a complete idiot regardless.

“The story here is how this school responded in a way that’s inappropriate to my mind,” he said. “If your goal is to keep kids from dangerous drugs, the worst thing you can do is make your own advisories look like a joke.”

Snorting substances up your nose will lead to irritation, possibly infections or allergy or asthma attacks, any of which can be serious.  No maggots.

Smarties

7 comments for “Snorting candy: Kids are dumb, some school officials are too

1. Ogami Itto
    January 24, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Nobody has made a “nose candy” joke yet?

2. January 24, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Bah! Those aren’t Smarties, they’re Rockets. Smarties are like flattened chocolate M&Ms. A lot harder to crush those into powder, though.

[/Canadian_Rant]

3. YetAnoutherBrian
    January 24, 2014 at 5:57 PM

In high school (80s) if you could crush it into powder someone in school had probably tried to snort it. This included aspirin, smarties, snuff, and marijuana. In the nineties in Chicago I went to three separate parties where people where snorting tequila. In the whole of human history I am sure anything that looks remotely snort-able, has been.

4. Brian
    January 25, 2014 at 6:18 AM

Amazing no one has tried snorting sneezing powder

• January 30, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Ummm…. Google this, “snorting sneezing powder”

5. Mehgan
    May 3, 2014 at 4:54 AM

Wait, so the maggots myth in your nose is fake? I snorted smarties like 5 times, no foul smells, am I safe? Right now I’m scared to death and I’m crying. Pls tell me that the maggots in your nose is a joke.

• May 3, 2014 at 3:17 PM

We just said it was fake. Always look up weird stories, they are completely false at least half the time it seems. And QUIT snorting smarties. It’s dumb.