Publix spinach: Now with more nutritious bird skulls!

Another case of a foreign object in salad. These are getting kind of gross and making me a bit wary of packaged leaves.

Sarasota woman makes disturbing discovery in bag of Publix spinach.

A Sarasota woman got the shock of her life recently when she says she found the skull of a bird inside her bag of frozen spinach.

“When I was draining it, I ran into something hard and I didn’t want to throw it down the garbage disposal,” said Brogan.

Once thawed in her sink, she noticed it was the skull of a small bird.

Brogan shared her story with the managers of the Publix where she bought the product, which is located at the intersection of Honore Avenue and Fruitville Road. They offered her a full refund of $1.79. The bag of spinach was manufactured in the United States, but it’s unclear as to which state.

The bird skull found in the frozen spinach bag.

The bird skull found in the frozen spinach bag.

Publix has now given the woman a gift basket, a gift card and a wide array of Publix frozen fruits. Hopefully without any dead animal parts in them.

It’s not unusual to find dead baby birds in odd places. But again, this does bring up the question of proper inspection of fresh greens. This will put you off your dinner salad for sure.

6 comments for “Publix spinach: Now with more nutritious bird skulls!

1. January 9, 2014 at 9:55 PM

But does a single bird skull, of out how many tens (hundreds?) of thousands of bags of spinach harvested mean the food inspection industry is a failure? While the only risk here may be to your gag reflex, it’s no more an indication of failure, just like how tha tiniy risk of an adverse effect from a vaccination means vaccines are a failure.

2. January 9, 2014 at 11:48 PM

I agree with Cory … MOST food has gotten safer over the years. When I was a kid, beans always had rocks in them. I haven’t seen a rock for years now. Or a bug, or bug hole. Produce has gotten amazingly healthy lately.

Still, when I see a bird skull … I think it would have been packaged by machine, not people. Or at least not awake people. Birds, animals, and bugs do exist in fields (or should, unless poison levels are really high). Usually when people pick lettuce, they notice stuff like dead birds.

3. Lagaya1
    January 10, 2014 at 3:45 AM

I usually buy at the farmer’s market and have found lady bugs, dozens of caterpillars, and a giant snail in my greens but never a bird’s head. I’m sure the packaged greens are cleaner than the fresh ones, but I think I’d still wash them.

4. ZombyWoof
    January 10, 2014 at 8:18 AM

It would have been funnier if it came in the Bird’s Eye brand.

5. January 10, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Must have run out of frogs.

6. Chris Howard
    January 10, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Well, it’s a little bit country, and a little bit rock n roll, as far as explinations go.

Because the average US citizen wants to have their cake, and eat it too (all the services that government provides, but don’t want to pay for them) we’ve scaled back the budgets for food inspection ergo cutting back on inspectors hours.

This is also true of industrial safety inspections (See the recent plant explosion in Texas)

Anyhow, that coupled with the fact that you will always have physical, and chemical, contaminants in the food supply is not a good combination.

So we should be seeing a rise in these sorts of things, but as mentioned above the overall safety of the food supply is still pretty good.