The historic building and restaurant in Waverly, Ohio touted as haunted is no more.

Historic Emmitt House destroyed by fire | The Chillicothe Gazette | chillicothegazette.com.

A historic — and believed to be haunted — landmark in downtown Waverly was destroyed by fire Monday night.

The historic building, which has gone through several owners over recent years and several openings and closings as well, has gained national attention for its believed paranormal activity. The most recent such exposure came in March 2013 when the restaurant was featured on an episode of the SyFy Network series “Haunted Collector.”

The building, built as a hotel in 1861, was deemed a total loss. It was a mecca of paranormal tourism, hosting events, conferences, ghost hunts and haunted dinners. Rumor is that ghost of James Emmitt, noted by his cigar smoke, still remained in the house along with MANY other “spirits” of slaves, children and former residents. A ghost hunt for 8 people cost $400 – a nice bit of business that is no more. The article notes that bones were found in the basement of the structure in 2012 by paranormal investigators. When I searched for more about this, since no detail was given, I found that WE covered this story back in 2012! It turns out they were animal bones. Funny how that part is not mentioned AT all.

This place was groomed as a haunted location. If anyone knows of any actual solid evidence (no, not lame pictures, EVPs, EMF reports, spooky stories and the like but ACTUAL EVIDENCE) that this place was anything other than an atmospheric old building with lots of added folklore, let me know.

The real shame is that a historic building was lost to the community. But since it was known mainly for paranormal stuff, it’s true value was warped with silly ghostiness long ago.emmitt_house burned Emmitt

Comments are tightly moderated. Please follow the Comment Policy.

6 comments for “Paranormal hotspot destroyed by fire: Emmitt House was heavily publicized as haunted

1. January 7, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Surely the ghosts survived to haunt whatever is built there next.

• brian
      January 8, 2014 at 2:06 AM

Nope! those sheets they wear are flammable as hell

• January 8, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Hot naked ghosts – I’d watch that movie!

2. Chris Pike
    January 8, 2014 at 2:50 AM

First, I’d like to say that I dont believe in the “hype” that some deemed haunted locations have. It is a ploy to make that nice chunk of money, but in the name of science and being level headed in the pursuit of evidence of such claims, shouldn’t one examine the photos, EVP’s and EMF readings more directly? I am a paranormal investigator myself, and have I come across some bizarre and uniquely strange places? Yes. Have I collected evidence of the paranormal? Perhaps. Strange photographs of full, transparent apparations and voices on recordings that were not mine or my team’s have all been collected on occasion. If the photos are indeed authentic, and the voices real, what more do you want as proof of the paranormal other than witnessing it for your own eyes? Genuine photos of such things is about the only “evidence” you can conclusively get. I thought that science was about about collecting the evidence and then proving the evidence authentic and genuine. And when you get that “evidence” not to dismiss it as a figment of imagination. If this was say a court room and one had photo after photo after photo that were all authentic photos, without alteration, the case would be overwhelmingly in the favor of the evidence of the photos. Let’s look at this more in depth and really study this and not make rash opinions one way or another. Thats science.

3. Mike
    January 10, 2014 at 5:07 PM

That’s a shame.. It was a lovely building.

4. Old Rockin' Dave
    January 12, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I predict that the building that replaces it will be haunted by the ghost of the old one.