Ham on Nye: Tickets sold out in minutes

Does this make anyone else feel physically ill?

Bill Nye, Ken Ham Creationism Debate Tickets Sell Out in Minutes; Streaming Info Released.

Tickets for the upcoming debate on the viability of creationism between “The Science Guy” Bill Nye and Creation Museum CEO and President Ken Ham sold out within minutes, but information has been released for how people can still watch it via live streaming.

“Sorry, all tickets for the debate with Bill Nye sold out within minutes!” Ham posted on Facebook on Monday, when the $25 tickets for the Feb. 4 debate at The Creation Museum’s 900-seat Legacy Hall in Petersburg, Ky., went on sale.

It will be $4.99 to stream the event. Talk about a coup! Ham is making a killing on this. I assume Nye will be compensated. So, what are we to do? Pay to watch this or stiff the Creation Museum. This whole deal is making me nauseated. Bill is too good for this.

More:

Here is an argument FOR the debate. Bill Nye vs. creationist Ken Ham, defending science from theology | An Atheist in Wheaton.

And here is a NO Should Scientists Debate Creationists? : Discovery News.

Talk.origins is the premier place to get information on evolution vs creationism debate.

Bill Nye on why Creationism is Inappropriate for Children

Bill-Nye-vs.-Ken-Ham-Debate_f_improf_645x254

Comments are tightly moderated. Please follow the Comment Policy.

13 comments for “Ham on Nye: Tickets sold out in minutes

1. Hal
    January 7, 2014 at 7:16 PM

I tried to get a ticket for this event and got a site error message right from the opening of sales. Really ticked at that and sort of glad too for not giving the museum any money. I will wait until it is posted for free on youtube or torrents instead. It won’t matter when I watch it because it won’t change anyone’s mind because it is a debate with a wacko creationist. I don’t think Bill is up to it to battle this nut. I doubt it will be a fair debate in their venue.

2. Guy
    January 7, 2014 at 7:18 PM

This looks a lot like debating antivaxers:it can only benefit one party.

3. January 7, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Wow.

I have mixed feelings about this. Part of me is excited for this “debate”; because I believe Bill Nye is well qualified, (he knows the science and is an excellent entertainer). I agree that debating a creationist is only helping their CV and hurting yours. Nevertheless, if Bill Nye is able to put on a great show and actually convince people, it does seem worth it.

If I were in the area, I would have tried to buy tickets. However, I will not be paying for the streaming. AronRa has already promised to record this debate, so I can only assume it will be posted online somewhere free later.

4. skeptictmac57
    January 7, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Much of the perception of how an informal debate goes in terms of who “wins” is how the audience reacts. Being as this is Ham’s venue,I am guessing that the audience is going to be stacked against Bill Nye,so I don’t think that will be very beneficial to the pro-science side. We will see I guess.

5. Chris Howard
    January 7, 2014 at 8:20 PM

I’m nauseated because I couldn’t get tickets. ;-)

6. J
    January 7, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Ham can’t keep his own ideas afloat so he weasels people into spending money on a ‘debate’ that he doesn’t really care to find the truth in in the first place.
    Pretty sad, and I sincerely hope Nye maintains professionalism throughout so it doesn’t go the way of Dawkins’ jokes.
    Is there a referee, and has he/she been vetted for impartiality?
    The outcomes of this exchange will range from intriguing to rediculous, I suspect.

7. spookyparadigm
    January 7, 2014 at 10:10 PM

This may be an appropriate time to note that the Scopes Monkey trial

1. Was created and welcomed by both sides as a media event

2. Was very much a carnival sideshow atmosphere

3. Despite _Inherit the Wind_ was largely a success for Creationists, a reversal that only came with the WWII and Cold War emphasis on the strategic importance of science.

8. ZombyWoof
    January 8, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Bill Nye will kick Ham’s butt.

• One Eyed Jack
      January 9, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Creationists will claim Ham won. Realists will claim Nye won. It will be a non-event.

The only “winner” will be Ham as he counts the money.

9. One Eyed Jack
    January 9, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Taking bets that the creationists made sure they got the lion’s share of the tickets. I suspect Bill Nye will find a very unfriendly audience. You don’t think Ken Ham would ever do this in a forum that wasn’t heavily weighted with his support, do you?

10. BobM
    January 11, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I would be happy if the audience were all creationists, because Bill Nye stands more chance of converting people, particularly young people. Or at least making them think. But Nye is a professional educator and Ham is a professional flimflam artist. So I suspect Bill is going to get walked over. Though if he does holders own know one would be more pleased than I :-).