FORE! Is someone slicing golf balls in a U.K. neighborhood?

Neighbours baffled by invasion of mystery golf balls (From This Is Local London).

The mysterious appearance of dozens of golf balls has left Beddington neighbours clubbing together for answers.

The riddle initially centred on one couple, of Richmond Road, who have found nine balls in their back garden in the last month.

But now the enigmatic spherical intruders have begun spread to neighbouring houses, leaving residents scratching their heads.

Love this picture!

DUDE! Look at these balls!

DUDE! Look at these balls!

The residents have not had this problem before. The closest golf course is miles away. But there is no mention of the possibility that someone could be practicing in the area and this could be a joke. It’s a cute story but I don’t think everyone is appreciative that it made the news with more serious things going on. However, it is just the kind of news fit for DN.

8 comments for “FORE! Is someone slicing golf balls in a U.K. neighborhood?

1. Angela
    January 30, 2014 at 8:33 AM

LOL…well now, you know with the evidence at hand, the paranormalists will say…”ghost golfers”. Or…aliens. Sounds possibly like a prank..but maybe just some heavy off-course practicing. And you’re right, that picture says a thousand words.

2. Karl
    January 30, 2014 at 9:11 AM

I used to pay golf in our back garden when I was a kid. We used to see if we could get them over peoples houses and fortunately we never broke a window :)

3. John Nowak
    January 30, 2014 at 9:51 AM

I’d guess off-course practicing, or kids finding lost golf balls and losing them again.

I’m not sure if this is really prank fodder. I find it hard to imagine someone saying, “Dude — let’s scatter golf balls where people will find them! It will be awesome!” I mean, it’s not crop circles. But I could be wrong.

• jveeds
      January 30, 2014 at 12:28 PM

While you’re probably right, I have to admit that the first thing I thought of was exactly that sort of prank. My house is on the 6th fairway of a golf course so I get plenty of golf balls in the back yard, in the pool, bouncing off the roof …even to the street in front of the house. When I was reading the item, I thought, “How cool would it be to take a couple dozen balls and plant them randomly (or even in an orderly way) in some nearby neighborhood!”

4. January 30, 2014 at 10:18 AM

My ex-in laws had a beautiful home on a large mostly wooded property. There were other houses, well-to-do with big lots. My father-in-law loved to golf and would practice by hitting golf balls into the woods, then would go with his dog and recover them. I often joined him, but I was not sa straight a hitter as he was. One of his neighbors showed up one day with several golf balls. He wasn’t mad, more amused, and I admitted I was most likely the culprit.

5. WMcCreery
    January 30, 2014 at 11:30 AM

It’s an invasion!! Runto the shelter!!

6. Rex Dart
    January 30, 2014 at 3:35 PM

My young niece lives next to a golf course, and has a big picnic basket full of golf balls she’s found while playing around the neighborhood – going back to when she was a toddler, I think.

Nobody in the family actually plays golf, so I could definitely see someone “redistributing” those balls to various amusing places one of these days….

7. January 30, 2014 at 7:14 PM

No human being would stack golf balls like that!