Candidate for year’s worst ghost photo already taken in Los Angeles

This is going around. If you see the link, don’t click, it’s really not worth it.

‘Ghost’ photo captured outside Cecil Hotel in downtown Los Angeles | abc7.com.

The Cecil Hotel was once a part-time home to serial killer “The Night Stalker” and murder victim “The Black Dahlia,” but it may now be home to a haunting new visitor.

An Eyewitness News viewer claims to have captured a ghostly image outside of the famous downtown Los Angeles hotel.

Koston Alderete, a Riverside boy with a love of scary films and ghost stories, took the picture, which shows a ghostly figure outside a fourth floor window. He says it looks a little too real.

I should start a category called “Why is this news?” Well, ghost photos as with all other paranormal “evidence” claims do get the hits. But this one is an obvious worthless photo. How tall is the window? Is the figure 3 feet tall? Why is he standing on the windowsill?

The Cecil Hotel has its issues, known as a creepy place. It was the location of the still rather mysterious death of Elisa Lam. Her unfortunate death was even linked to ghosts and the paranormal which is a terrible slight to her memory. But so it continues. This pathetic picture, submitted to the newspaper by a believer who thought it was spooky and gave him nightmares. Gosh, things like this make me hate the 24-hr news cycle. This is ridiculous. As we go year after year, decade after decade without sound evidence of the “paranormal”, we are accepting worse examples of it into the public sphere. I don’t get it.

I also list this under “paranormal tourism” because I wonder if they may be enhancing their spooky reputation.

Photo: Koston Alderete

Photo: Koston Alderete Nope I don’t see anything either. Must be an invisble ghost (Why not?)

10 comments for “Candidate for year’s worst ghost photo already taken in Los Angeles

1. Chris Howard
    January 29, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I don’t understand the lack of good quality images in the paranormal/fringe community?

My current phone has a 5MP camera, with stabilization software, and the ability to sharpen the image.

5MP is the equivalent of 1080p video, and can be enlarged up to an 8×10 size, without any loss in resolution.

My phone is a low end smart phone at that. I mean does it have to be a bad image to qualify for fringe recognition?

• Kip
      January 31, 2014 at 3:03 AM

1080p video is only about 2MP. So your low-end smart phone is substantially higher resolution than HD video ;)

• Chris Howard
        January 31, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Crap! You’re right. Thanks for pointing that out. :-)

2. January 29, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Looks like the guy on the batroom door.

3. Adair
    January 29, 2014 at 4:43 PM

It looks like someone leaning out their window to hang clothes on those little clotheslines. The combination of bad quality and maybe shooting through another window (from inside a moving car?) causes the glare/blurriness.

4. January 29, 2014 at 6:20 PM

The ‘ghost’ is outside the window – could be a pigeon died on the sill.

5. Angela
    January 30, 2014 at 8:52 AM

@ Chris Howard..the answer to that would be yes. The blurrier and more out of focus the picture is..the more paranormal claims they will make for said picture.

Long exposure and camera movement…never has it been so spooky since the paranormal scene kicked in to high gear.

• Chris Howard
      January 30, 2014 at 9:07 AM

You deal with this topic much more than I do.

Have you posed this to the paranormal/fringe following people that you know, and if so what is their response?

6. Angela
    January 30, 2014 at 9:53 AM

This particular one..no I have not yet. Most of the paranormal groups have no desire to have me anywhere near their pages because I am considered a ‘bully’. However, I plan to share the DN link on our FB page, Beyond Bullshit. Unfortunately, we are more often than not simply preaching to the choir. I will be keeping an eye for other pages (that haven’t blocked me from view) to see what has been said about this picture.

7. Angela
    February 3, 2014 at 5:32 PM

I did read a couple of comments in regard to this picture that weren’t saying ‘ooh’ ‘aah’ or ‘great catch’…one suggested some kind of ‘Pepper’s Ghost’ effect from the lighting and reflection from the window. Others suggested a cell phone app, but not seeing an image that looks like it yet. (although there are many and some are no longer on the phones). I tend to think a pigeon flying and the movement with a long exposure causing the transparency.