Bill Nye to debate Ken Ham February 4 at Creation Museum

Good idea or not? I say publicity stunt from Ham.

Dangerous Minds | Get your popcorn ready: Bill Nye the science guy to debate idiot Creation Museum founder Ken Ham.

Ken Ham, of the Creation Museum in Kentucky, challenged Bill Nye to a public debate and Nye accepted! It will take place February 4th at the museum and is titled. “Is Creation A Viable Model of Origins?”

Ken Ham writes:

Because our ministry theme for 2013 and for 2014 is “Standing Our Ground, Rescuing Our Kids,” our staff thought that a debate on creation vs. evolution with a man who has influenced so many children to believe in evolution would be a good idea. Now, those of you who know me realize that I don’t relish public debates, so please pray for me. But this debate will help highlight the fact that so many young people are dismissing the Bible because of evolution, and even many young people who had grown up in the church decided to leave the church because they saw evolution as showing the Bible could not be trusted.

Ham isn’t fond of debates? Kids are dismissing the Bible because of evolution? Uh…

I am not a fan of debates either because they are hardly about facts, they are about showmanship. And the absurd idea of Biblical literalism does not deserve a place on stage with a rock solid explanation of nature. At least Nye has the ability to be charming and say the right things. I can’t say I feel the same for Ham for whom I have no respect. I don’t think he’s an idiot as Dangerous Minds called him; he knows what he’s doing. He’s just a denialist. Nye may very well know what he’s up against and will prepare for it. But debates like this aren’t for winning, they are for grandstanding.

So, “Is Creation A Viable Model of Origins?” GOD, no! But notice already how convoluted this is – origins is something different than evolution. Is this another in a long line of gimmicks Ham has been using to drum up needed interest in the failing museum? He’s tried billboards, dinosaurs, dragons, zip lines, a $10K challenge… And his ark park is sinking as well.

I’d say it’s another desperate attempt at credibility and cash – tickets are $25.

Best of luck, Bill.

More background on this. Bill Nye speaks the truth about creationism, gets slammed.

Screen capture from the video where Bill Nye talks about evolution

Screen capture from the video where Bill Nye talks about evolution

Addition: Should Scientists Debate Creationists? : Discovery News.

19 comments for “Bill Nye to debate Ken Ham February 4 at Creation Museum

1. January 2, 2014 at 6:59 PM

This will be good to see. Probably won’t change any minds but still fun.

2. January 2, 2014 at 7:02 PM

I really don’t see what stands to be gained by “debating” evolution vs. creationism against Ken Ham. Bill Nye is a treasure, to be sure, but does he really think he’s going to change any minds? If you already accept evolution, then nothing Ken Ham has to say will be persuasive. Likewise, creationists have an astonishing resistance to reason, so Nye’s words will be falling on deaf ears. Are there really that many people “on the fence” when it comes to this issue? Even when it’s circulated on YouTube it’ll probably only reach people whose minds are already made up. If Ham loses spectacularly, he’s shameless enough to spin it as a win, and his loyal followers are gullible enough to believe it. Even if Bill Nye is devastating, they’ll find something to twist out of context to suit their agenda, which will certainly be propaganda to drum up financial support for their failing monument to stupidity. If anything, we risk losing, even if we win.

• WMcCreery
      January 2, 2014 at 8:09 PM

I agree, Mr. Nye will be in a hostile environment with a dogmatic audience.

3. brian
    January 2, 2014 at 7:04 PM

I can’t imagine ken ham will bring anything new to the debate it will be the same old ” the bible is true because it says so in the bible” and “I don’t need evidence because I have faith” type of argument we always get from ham or comfort or hovind if by some chance ham gets the best of Nye he’ll be touting it to the world as a great victory for creationism if Nye crushes him then it will be “OH, look at the evil arrogant evolutionist picking on the poor humble man of faith” either way ham will try to spin it in his favor at the end of the day he’s just another snake oil salesman

4. Chris Howard
    January 2, 2014 at 7:09 PM

I. CAN’T. WAIT! I will be front row and center for this one, folks!

5. Blargh
    January 2, 2014 at 7:48 PM

I say “not a good idea”.

Not only that, but debates favor the cranks. Unless they’re extremely tightly moderated, there’s a high probability of a Gish gallop.

6. Lagaya1
    January 2, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Huge waste of time.

7. January 2, 2014 at 8:03 PM

I doubt much will change by holding this event, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to lend any credibility to any creationist model by showing up, as if there really is something to debate. I think Nye is making a mistake.

8. January 2, 2014 at 10:31 PM

I can see where Bill Nye showing up gives Ken Ham more credit than he deserves. I wonder how much of each $25 ticket Bill will get. I’m hoping a lot of it.

I’m reminded of this false story about Bill Nye responding to Todd Akin, complete with obscenities. I saw some story on it and I thought it was delightfully true (but this was of course my own confirmation bias):

9. January 2, 2014 at 10:52 PM

I wonder how much Ken Ham believes in what Ken Ham says. I really think he and Rick Dyer should get together; I really think they’d make a great team to exploit the gullible.

10. spookyparadigm
    January 2, 2014 at 10:56 PM

This is a terrible, terrible thing for science. Ham will win because he won’t be playing by the same rules as Nye. And I can tell you (I’ve conducted some informal survey on this), Nye is huge amongst millennials. He may be doing real harm by accepting this debate.

That said, I may go.

11. January 2, 2014 at 11:54 PM

I’m incredulous that this is the best avenue/opponent/topic for the discussion to take advantage of Nye’s communicative strengths. Anytime I’ve seen Nye talk, his enthusiasm for any topic (from finger-counting to sundials to mechanical engineering) is infectious. I have some trepidation that its effect will not be enough to temper the disappointment of being in the same room with Ken “were you there” Ham.

Then again, perhaps the contrast between Nye, one of the world’s most curious men, and Ham (perhaps the world’s most incurious man) will be instructive.

12. January 3, 2014 at 1:50 AM

Frankly, Nye has not done well in previous TV appearances and debates. For example, a meteorologist from the Washington Post said of one of Nye’s TV appearances, “What followed was the one of the most flawed discussions of meteorology I’ve ever seen on a national network.” http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/bill-nye-the-science-guy-fumbles-storm-explainer/2013/02/11/685cdd04-7465-11e2-95e4-6148e45d7adb_blog.html

I’m not saying that nobody can, or should, debate creationists. What I’m saying is that Nye is not a good choice.

13. Ray Sutera
    January 3, 2014 at 3:45 AM

When Richard Dawkins was asked why he didn’t debate creationists he responded with a quote from a biologist, whose name I can’t recall, who said to the challenging creationist, “That would look great on your CV, not so good on mine.”

14. January 3, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Tom Flynn of CFI writes: Probably a bad idea, but would still love to be there. This seems to be the general sentiment. http://www.centerforinquiry.net/blogs/entry/nye_ham_debate_probably_a_bad_idea_but_id_love_to_be_there_for_it/

15. January 3, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Editors note: This is not the place for a debate about evolution. Evolution is. There is no debate (which is potentially part of the Ham/Nye problem)

16. January 3, 2014 at 3:15 PM

The more I think about it, it’s a win/win for Ham. Bill Nye brings in attendees at $25 each and Ham makes money regardless of who “wins” the “debate.”

Here’s something to stir the pot:
    Bryan Fischer believes ‘evolutionists’ should be ‘disqualified from holding political office’

17. January 6, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Can I ask the question, has anyone seen anything from Bill that he’s actually doing it?