Starchild skull proponent Lloyd Pye has died

Lloyd Anthony Pye, an American author and paranormal researcher, has died after a bout with lymphoma cancer. He was best known for his promotion of the Starchild skull, a deformed specimen, which he claims is remains of an alien-human hybrid. DNA tests have shown it is human (and both parents were human) suffering probably from congenital hydrocephalus.

News was reported via author Loren Coleman:
Reports Lloyd Pye Has Died.

In recent days, Lloyd Pye has messaged his friends that his tumor has returned and it was not an “if but when” situation, after treatments at Klinik Marinus in Germany.

Now word comes that Pye has died on December 9, 2013.

This was confirmed via this posting on Lloyd Pye’s Facebook page.

Coleman remarks that there were disagreements with Pye but he was a friendly man.

His Official Website noted that Pye was diagnosed with aggressive B-cell lymphoma cancer and was seeking treatment at “an alternative center with an outstanding record of turning lymphoma cancer into a chronic illness rather than a fatal disease.”

Therefore, he died as he lived, seeking the alternatives to science. That doesn’t work out so well, unfortunately. He was a proponent of “Alternative Knowledge” which his website defines as “information rooted in mainstream science, but in areas normally kept from public discussion because they cast doubt on the currently accepted paradigms and dogmas of the mainstream.” He was a believer in aliens visiting earth and intervening in human evolution. Namely, a superior alien race, the Anunnaki from the planet Nibiru (yes, that nonexistent Planet X), terraformed and populated Earth creating the human race. [Source]

His beliefs were extremely fringe, challenging evolution, Creationism and Intelligent Design. His ideas of alien intervention in human culture were inspired by von Däniken and Sitchen (popularizers of fringe archaeology). He was a popular personality and his loss is huge to this niche community.

His work on the discredited Starchild Project appears to be continuing via supporters. But without Pye, whose life was enmeshed with this project, I suspect it will finally fade into oblivion. At least I hope. It was completely without merit.

The Starchild Project – The Home of Research for the Starchild Skull.

Pye with the Starchild skull

Pye with the Starchild skull

More:

The NESS » The Starchild Project.

The Case of the Strange Skulls.

Skepticblog » Some “Starchild” Feedback.

13 comments for “Starchild skull proponent Lloyd Pye has died

1. spookyparadigm
    December 10, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I went to grad school at Tulane (Pye’s alma mater, which I didn’t know, but I was aware he was local) and I never met him but he did meet with at least one of my professors, a bioanthropologist who studies human bones for a living. Things went as you might expect when he showed them the skull: they told him hydrocephaly, he didn’t like them much after that. Not hyperbolically angry AFAIK but he refused to listen.

2. December 10, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Bit of trivia: that cancer clinic in Germany (Klinik Marinus) is a known source of quackery.

3. December 10, 2013 at 9:58 AM

…and I should learn to read more carefully before I comment. I see you covered that.

• December 10, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Actually, I was curious about that. I did not google the clinic. So, thanks for confirming.

4. December 10, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Never fear, the “elongated skull” theorists will take over if the Pye skullers falter. According to Brien Foerster (who has the tourism niche within the greater spectrum of ancient aliens/weird skull con-sters), they “are using Lloyd Pye’s geneticist and Melba Ketchum.” I about flooded my keyboard when I read that at his Facebook page. Foerster has a great advantage over Pye because grave robbing is no big deal in Peru.

It’s like bigfootery, the market will always be there, so there will always be another con.

5. December 10, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Brien Foerster: ….
    “he leaves a vast legacy for us to cherish, and carry forward. Any announcements that I will have as regards the Elongated Skull DNA will have a definite mention of Lloyd in it, as he was intrigued by what I am attempting to do…

His legacy will live on through us; the Starchild will still be studied. The mission has now been passed on to others…”

6. Rob
    December 10, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I had e-mail communications with him years ago, telling him he had the cranium of a hydrocephalic child, but he would have no part of it. Even the chromosomal evidence wouldn’t sway him. But cancer is an awful way for anyone to go. Condolences to his friends and family.

7. December 10, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Readers: I will not print a comment that extolls Pye as telling the truth. I’m sorry if you feel this is disrespectful but his work was disrespectful to human society and our intelligence by promoting nonsense. I’ll have none of it here. Again, I’m sorry, but this is NOT the place for your comment about how wonderful he was.

• Dustin
      February 8, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Wouldn’t you say it’s small minded to think we are the only life form in the universe?

• February 8, 2014 at 10:15 PM

It would be unlikely yes. But there is a HUGE difference between “life forms” and intelligent life in the form of human-like aliens. So, this is two completely different arguments.

8. Kitty Lapin Agile
    December 11, 2013 at 2:59 PM

also so sad when someone intelligent and also charismatic, who could have been a leader, instead devotes his life to what will..in the end, be a legacy of the a crackpot. If he had helped debunk it, “I believed but DNA now shows this was ……………” he would have much more respect now. Very good well liked people promote things that are just wrong. That’s why they last so long. If only unlikable clearly delusional and self serving people promoted this stuff, it wouldn’t have the popularity it had for so long.

9. December 11, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I’m baffled by the people who think this article is disrespectful towards Pye. We’re only reporting the on his death and giving a brief consensus on some of his life work.

If you do not agree with the scientific literature that’s critical of his work, fine, but don’t take that out on us.

10. Rob
    February 22, 2014 at 2:16 AM

Sorry Christoph. What you have there is a mixture of some fact with a lot of really bad information. The real problem with thinking these days is the lack of critical thinking processes.