“Face” is seen in the twisted steel remains of WTC

This is clearly a case of pareidolia where we recognize a face in the twisted metal.

‘Angel of 9/11′: Steel visage tricks the eye — and touches the heart – NBC News.com.

From the right angle, construction workers at the National September 11 Memorial and Museum at New York’s ground zero can make out a sad-looking face that’s been dubbed the “Angel of 9/11,” seemingly emerging from the twisted steel of a girder that was hit by the first hijacked plane. The facelike feature is the result of natural corrosion plus a trick of the eye — but that shouldn’t make the angel any less inspiring.

The angel’s dark eyes, nose and open mouth stem from a combination of factors, starting with the way the steel was twisted when American Airlines Flight 11 slammed into it on the morning of Sept. 11, 2001.

This post describes how and why we see a face here. My vision is not so pleasant as it looks like a face in agony. But, people truly wish for comfort and meaning in this symbolism. As I said in a previous post, the Ground Zero site will forever be haunted.

A face in the metal. Angel, agony or anomaly?

A face in the metal. Angel, agony or anomaly?

But ultimately, I get why this occurs, it doesn’t mean I have to attribute supernatural meaning to it.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Tip: Joy Harris

8 comments for ““Face” is seen in the twisted steel remains of WTC

1. Chris Howard
    December 3, 2013 at 9:57 PM

That is CLEARLY Marilyn Monroe… Manson. Marilyn Manson.

Maybe a young Charles Manson, in drag.

So many good choices!

2. John B
    December 3, 2013 at 11:24 PM

At first glance I thought it looked like Mick Jagger.

3. Peter Robinson
    December 4, 2013 at 5:51 AM

“The facelike feature is the result of natural corrosion plus a trick of the eye — but that shouldn’t make the angel any less inspiring.”

What a stupid comment in the NBC piece! First it says that it is paredolia, and in the next breath that it is an angel that is inspiring. Just stupid, stupid, stupid.

And I go for Jagger. Some angel!

4. Old Miley
    December 4, 2013 at 11:54 AM

A young Ziggy Stardust contemplates his fate.

5. Lagaya1
    December 4, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I vote for the theatrical mask of tragedy. It looks like it (well, to me…), and It’s fitting.

6. Trace Smith
    December 4, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I see the face but not of an angle. I see a female w/ horns. Not a trick of the light… Actual 2 pieces of the metal sits on top of her head and poking up where horns would be.

7. Daran
    December 4, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Trace sees horns but I see Batman!

• Trace Smith
      December 5, 2013 at 4:30 PM

LoL ( cute) thanks for making me giggle. As I believe the corruption inside our great Country had a hand in this… Facts and evidence supports this… I have a feeling the devils hand was played on that day along w/ again corruption and greed w/ in our Country. I wish an Angle or Batman could have saved those people that day. But… I know certain bad things happen but good will always prevail. Well, let’s hope. lol