Teen gets sick over number assignment in a race: 666

The devil clearly won this event.

Whitley County Cross Country Runner Refuses To Run After Being Assigned “666″ Number.

A Whitley County student athlete says it would have gone against her religious beliefs to run with the race number ’6-6-6′. She and her coach tried to get her a different number, and were told they could not.

Nerves over the race turned to frustration for Whitley County High School junior Codie Thacker because of a different number. It would have been her third time running this race. “I’ve trained since June for this race,” she said.

“I didn’t want to risk my relationship with God and try to take that number,” said Thacker.

A spokesperson with Kentucky High School Athletic Association told LEX 18 it wasn’t brought to their attention that the request was because of religious beliefs, adding that if they knew, they would have changed the number.

Thacker pulled out of the race, refusing to wear the number, saying it made her sick being associated with the number 666. This also means she won’t be able to compete in any other races for the rest of the season.

The girl was pummeled in the comments here. But seriously, this could have been avoided with a number change. Lots of sports people are superstitious. This takes it to an extreme but why fight that fight?

But, down to brass tacks, if a number makes this girl sick, she is going to have a REALLY HARD TIME in life. As others noted, does she skip that page number in a book, does she not dial that in a phone number? This superstition is baseless but people become slaves to it. That’s when devil wins.

666: Interpretation of the number of the beast from The Book of Revelation.

This isn’t the last race you’ll be left out of. When you judge modern times by an ancient out-of-date book, you already are way behind.

Tip: @SkeptInq (Skeptical Inquirer on Twitter)

23 comments for “Teen gets sick over number assignment in a race: 666

1. November 6, 2013 at 8:07 PM

She’s not a winner . . . she’s a whiner.

2. November 6, 2013 at 8:09 PM

> Thacker pulled out of the race, refusing to wear the number, saying it made her sick

As the philosopher Stevland Morris wrote: “When you believe in things that you don’t understand, you will suffer.”

3. Dale S
    November 6, 2013 at 8:23 PM

“Out of date” book. Who judged that?

4. John Weber
    November 6, 2013 at 8:28 PM

In the space of about 5 years, I moved to Arkansas then to Iowa. When I licensed my car in each state, I got a plate with three letters and three numbers—666, of course. In Arkansas when I picked up my plate, the lady at the DVM told me I didn’t have to take it and she had been trying to get rid of that number for more than a week with no success. I grabbed it and slapped it on my car in the parking lot. The results were amazing and more than I could have hoped for. People would put bible verses under the windshield warning me of the terrible things that might happen with my car and others would stop me on the street when I got out of my car and ask “Do you know what’s on your license plate.” or something to that effect. Without exaggeration, this happened several times per week. My only regret was that Arkansas only gave me one.

In Iowa I rarely got any comments, but a lot of people looked at the plate more closely. I have the three plates proudly displayed on the wall of my garage in Illinois. Too bad I didn’t have a chance to get another 666 from Illinois.

Superstition is a burden to clear thinking. The girl in question as an athlete has all my sympathy, but if she wants to complain, she needs to take it to her parents who put the nonsense into her head in the first place. I hope she matures and learns to see the world without looking through the prism of religion.

5. Dale S
    November 6, 2013 at 8:31 PM

How is this “science” to judge a girl’s reaction? Where are the hate articles about Islam? She didn’t say she is sick. She said “it makes me sick.” Also, define how she will scientifically have a hard time in life due to this? She seems well adjusted.

• One Eyed Jack
      November 7, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Who said it was science? This site isn’t just about science.

Really? You’re going to trot out the poor persecuted Christian card? This isn’t a hate article. It’s a story about overly credulous belief, and irrational fears based on that belief.

What would lead you to believe that a person that feels sick over a number well adjusted? I would also characterize people with triskaidekaphobia as strange.

• Lagaya1
        November 7, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Hi, Jack,

I have “piscadekaphobia”, the fear of 10 fish. But seriously, your point is valid. Someone who is overly religious to the point that it limits her life, can’t be thought of as well-adjusted.

We seem to have picked up a few religious commenters today.

• November 7, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Dale, you are missing the point of this site entirely. Read the About page. There was no “hate” here. This was more about superstition than religion – we have several stories about fear of djinn, etc. We are an equal opportunity superstition exploder. We did a fine job of explaining how this superstition will hold her back. The article was Exhibit A.

6. November 6, 2013 at 9:11 PM

It made her sick, sick, sick!

• lawn
      November 7, 2013 at 2:19 AM

You are my hero.

While I’m here, I’m wondering why she didn’t just flip it over, make it 999.

• lawn
        November 7, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Sorry, Brandon (below), I didn’t mean to plagairize you.

7. Chris Howard
    November 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Some people living in San Marcos, TX. protest about our zip code (78666).

I had a fellow employee get upset when they found out that my employee number is 666.

People get all worked up over the most idiotic things. These are, generally, the type of people that learning never taught them anything.

8. Brandon
    November 7, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Couldn’t she just turn the number upside down and it would look like 999?

• One Eyed Jack
      November 7, 2013 at 2:49 AM

God is not so easily fooled! ;-)

9. Graham
    November 7, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Snopes has a full page on people having problems when purchases come up to $6.66, given that the number may in fact be 616 (Per the religioustolerance.org link), they may be worrying about the wrong thing. In any case I don’t think that either God or the Devil is that petty.

10. Brian
    November 7, 2013 at 3:59 AM

If you willfully choose to live you life in ignorance, superstition and by an outdated book written by bronze age goat herders, then you must be willing to accept the consequences. She reaped what she sowed.

11. Nos482
    November 7, 2013 at 5:53 AM

666 the Number of the Beast
    Hell and fire was spawned to be released
    \n/, >.< ,\n/

12. November 7, 2013 at 6:03 AM

“it wasn’t brought to their attention that the request was because of religious beliefs, adding that if they knew, they would have changed the number.”

So the whole thing was a miscommunication. Clearly it was due to Mercury being retrograde.

13. ZombyWoof
    November 7, 2013 at 12:52 PM

It had to be her imaginary “God” who assigned her that number in the first place.

14. November 7, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Hmm. Another interesting point – had she taken the number, she would have been distracted and had poor performance. http://news.discovery.com/human/psychology/runner-assigned-666-refuses-to-compete-131106.htm

Again, how hard would it have been to give her a new number and have avoided all this? Both sides were ridiculous.

15. November 7, 2013 at 4:58 PM

My understanding of the number is that it’s not really the three digits 6-6-6 that is referred to in Revelations but the spelled out numeral “six hundred sixty six” (depending on translation) — the reason being that in Koine Greek (and other ancient languages such as Ancient Hebrew), numbers were represented by letters. Thus, In Greek, Nero (Νερων), has the numerical value 50+5+100+800+50=1005.

So the whole brouhaha about “616″ is really based on a fundamental misunderstanding not only of Greek language and numerology (along with the presumed power of a randomly assigned number to represent your personhood in a track meet).

The news report is somewhat ambiguous about the discrepancy between the track meet organizers and the runner’s stories, with the organizers apparently not realizing it was a religious issue (how could anyone not be aware of the magical power that 666 has over fundamentalist Christians?)

But, should they have changed it had they known? My humble opinion is that if sports event organizers honored every participant’s desire not to have a particular number, they’d waste a great deal of time simply making numbers for them to wear. “I couldn’t possibly wear a number lower than Brittany’s!” “The number ’5′ has always been unlucky for me.” “It wouldn’t be right for me to wear a number higher than my BFF Brittany!” “It would be sacrilgious for me to wear ’420′ because that’s the number of The Potsmoker.”

16. November 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM

As a Christian myself, I get really ticked at Christians who are superstitious. I did such a great job at raising my children to not be superstitious that they both left the Church. :(

Child #2 wanted, at one time, to paint a big 666 on his truck. I told him it wouldn’t be a good idea, considering where we live. He went with a Star Wars theme instead. :)