A man died from a caffeine overdose after eating too many high-energy mints, an inquest heard.
John Jackson was found dead at his home in Wednesbury, West Midlands, on 2 May after eating Hero Instant Energy Mints.
The 40-year-old had twice the recommended adult daily caffeine intake in his blood.
Mr Jackson, from Walsall Road, had a liver condition which was a contributory factor in his death.
However, the cause of death was given as caffeine toxicity.
It is unknown if Jackson knew the candy was potential harmful to people with certain conditions or that he would be at risk. But the overdose was only 2x, not 50 or 100x. I’m inclined to say that there are risks in life and sometimes the circumstances are such that you come out on the wrong end. But a clear labeling of the product would certainly be warranted. Then, it’s the consumers responsibility.