More from Melba…

As is the usual pattern, the news is less than impressive.

Bigfoot is real, research teams claim | wfaa.com Dallas – Fort Worth.

A team of Sasquatch researchers screened what it called “never before seen HD video” of Bigfoot on Tuesday.

During a news conference, they played several short clips that purported to show various human-like, hairy figures moving about in wooded areas in Kentucky.

The exclusive footage came from a similar effort dubbed The Erickson Project, which was led by Adrian Erickson. That group said it captured the “definitive video and DNA evidence from the elusive Sasquatch.”

“Researcher Dennis Pfohl… personally captured video and collected DNA samples from Sasquatch individuals,” the Erickson group said in a written statement.

According to the group, footage captured in Kentucky in 2005 shows a female Sasquatch sleeping. An extended version of the video is expected to be released in a future documentary.

This video is LONG overdue. Last December, everyone thought the HIGH DEFINITION footage of the creature known as “Matilda” would be presented along with the study. This conference was announced via press release but honestly, those of us seriously following this fiasco assumed it would be another joke. And so it is. Not only does Matilda remarkably resemble a throw rug but the face seems eerily reminiscent of Chewbacca. The clips that were shown in the news conference were described as short and grainy. That’s kind of odd for HD footage, don’t you think!? I actually expected nothing better.

For a chronology of the Ketchum Project, see my exclusive piece here in Skeptical Briefs.

Here are all previous stories on Melba Ketchum.

Erickson Project's sleeping Bigfoot

Erickson Project’s sleeping Bigfoot

Sorry to say that Ketchum and Erickson’s 15 minutes of fame is long over. Credibility is shot. No, Melba’s paper was NOT properly peer reviewed and her DNA study was discredited. [Study is available publicly HERE]. There were about 10 people at most at this conference, as it appears from the video. Looking at the clips visible in the news video below, the Patterson-Gimlin film looked more genuine.

Dear Melba, stop it already.

The video will eventually appear in the Erickson Project Documentary.

UPDATE (3-Oct-2013) Only ABC news opted to consult any expert on this story that has gone international in the past two days.

Todd R. Disotell, a professor at the Department of Anthropology at New York University, told ABCNews.com that Ketchum’s research is nonsense.

“This was not reported in any scientific way whatsoever. It’s complete junk science, and then she misinterprets it. She hasn’t published in peer-reviewed papers on this stuff. I don’t know how this got put together,” he said.

This just further reinforces the idea that cryptozoology is fringe, nonsense field. Good going Dr. Ketchum. You really made a mess playing scientist.

Incidentally, only a Norwegian paper actually cited this DN post. No one else seemed to do much research into the controversial background of the Sasquatch Genome project before just credulously printing these claims. Yeah media. You mostly fail again.

18 comments for “Bigfoot Matilda is High Definition grainy: What you would expect from Ketchum-Erickson

1. October 1, 2013 at 6:32 PM

So these clowns claim they can routinely get w/i a few feet of bigfoot yet they can’t give more than 5 seconds of decently clear video (during which bigfoot appears to have no ability to move it’s facial muscles).

Give up already.

2. October 1, 2013 at 6:35 PM

This whole story appears that it was done to hype the release or sales of their documentary. The Bigfoot Community and science busted them long ago and they keep putting it out there.

3. Kitty Lapin Agile
    October 1, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Joe Nickel taught us long ago, ask for all the photographs before and after and all the film before and after. A few seconds of film? We not only make sure our cameras (including old fashioned ones without batteries at times) are fully charged, we have some where we can put in batteries so we always have no excuses. I love the word “DEFINITIVE”. No no no no no. Ketchum, go home you and your Bigfoot are drunk, it’s shameful to the world of Bigfoot enthusiasts that are trying at this point. hoaxes aren’t going to help uncover the “truth” this all just seems a money making venture at this point.

4. Sean A. Elliott
    October 1, 2013 at 6:46 PM

This would be laughable if it weren’t so pitiful. Many in the BF community pinned their hopes on the results of this fiasco. It is nothing short of incredible that these people hope to be taken seriously. I watched the video in the link and was amused to see the “news conference” had plenty of empty seats.

One thing I find very interesting is that believers were invested in Erickson’s. Video before any of it was shown, arguing that skeptics would be eating humble pie in short order. Well, still no humble pie….

5. October 1, 2013 at 7:19 PM

God, what a fiasco. And Bigfoot researchers have the audacity to complain that *skeptics* make the field look bad?

6. No More BS
    October 1, 2013 at 7:47 PM

It seems they are trying to outdo the others and beat them to the finish line. There’s the Dyer-rama and fake body and then there’s the Sykes “respectable” study forthcoming. Ketchum/Erickson want to be first. First to look like the best clowns in this god-awful three-ring circus of BS.

Nice wookie mask, eh?

7. Phil
    October 1, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Looks like a dead bison?

8. Mike
    October 1, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Notice Matilda has fangs……

9. October 2, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Someone should post signs around this silly zoo that say, “Please don’t feed the gullible fools.”

10. Chris Howard
    October 2, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Does Matilda waltz?

11. apehuman
    October 2, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Does Adrian Erickson, or his group, have any purported BF samples submitted to the Sykes/O-L study?
    I thought your piece, linked to “Skeptic’s Briefs,” above, outlining the history of the project was a good try for a long and complicated history, given the many contributors and affiliations in the project, and notorious NDA’s, many still in effect, .
    But, there seems to me a very important omission in the story, and that is the Sierra Kills of October 2010 and Justin Smeja, and the ensuing mayhem to get to the kill site and get those goods by several groups and individuals. Meldrum even entered the online fray, denying he said certain things at the site, but not denying he went. Seems many believe Justin Smeja. As did Olympic Project, then prominently sponsoring Justin, and although parted ways now still publicly calling for the SK sample back, they “own,” to take to yet another lab.
    Justin/Wally Hersom had duplicate testing, on a similar sample, from the reputed kills that came back bear and the fall out over that has been ongoing.
    The inclusion of the SK sample in the study meant a benefactor of more means than Erickson, or Paulides, emerged in Wally Hersom. It also may have contributed to Stubstad’s going public, as he felt the kills should be reported, and claimed to have himself done so independently to several Government agencies, but of course without physical evidence in his possession.
    There is still a rumored book in the wings about the kills sponsored by Wally. He continues to provide Justin with equipment and now Justin, perhaps frustrated by this outcome, has vowed to kill “another one.” You see, that $500,000 Wally spent with Ketchum was to prove that event, and is the now infamous sample 26 I think.
    I also thought Moneymaker’s writing Nature and revealing his interference early on with both Erickson and Ketchum was telling, and worthy of note.
    A minor detail: it was Larry Jenkin’s toenail, and JC Johnson’s blood/irrigation pipe sample (and that recovery was filmed).
    I do think your effort is one of the more complete, but for this …really…what can I call it, but material omission.
    Thanks for the opportunity to comment.
    BFs are real BTW.. ! And, I think we are looking expectantly to Sykes, for something that can pass review with a prestigious journal.and to which other scientists will willing cite, or be spurred to their own research. And who knows, maybe Dyer’s claims..or Spike TV’s Bounty Hunt will….hahha, Never Mind! Thanks for the thankless task… it was worth the read, someone needs to do it without a vested interest…beyond..well truth, right?

• October 3, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Apehuman: The original print version included a sidebar about the Sierra Kills. It’s a very important side story.

And yes, you are right that I could not dig into the really juicy stuff that I only heard in rumors. I’m not trained as an investigative reporter and am leery about potential libel so I steered clear of that which is why there are so many references cited. One person who helped me with the background info on this REALLY wanted me to dig into it but I don’t get paid for this, I have a full time job, a family, this website and other work. I did the best I could which, in my book, was head and shoulders better than the Bigfoot blogs who just like to flatter, then bitch about her. Just the facts, Ma’am.

12. October 3, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Jay has more on the Chewbacca similarities in his review of the news story. http://bizarrezoology.blogspot.com/2013/10/erickson-project-claims-and-dubious.html I didn’t dwell on this revelation when it came out many moons ago (again, this Erickson stuff is NOT new) but the resemblance may well be the downfall of the credibility so it’s worth emphasizing. As Jay suggests, that this REEKS of fraud is sickening. I have no idea how or why people attempt to pull this off.

• apehuman
      October 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Thanks for the reply, although no answer on if EP has samples into Sykes?
      Jay’s blog is that of a fairly advanced highschooler, and surprisingly good relative to many adult BF blogs. Although, his opinion is bolstered by Munns, it only touches the surface and lacks any insights most of us are looking for.
      I think most agree some serious analysis/scrutiny is required for Adrian to advance this much further, or if Ketchum’s paper does not. Apparently the promised documentary will do that, and rehashing in bigfootery is legendary (the PG film comes to mind).
      In the meantime, whose opinion might count?
      How about Matt Moneymaker’s? He apparently sold Adrian several videos from that habituation site early on, part of the reason perhaps Adrian bought the property. Moneymaker has seen the video, even the Chewbacca one..and as I recall cited it as the evidence BFs have “black noses like bears or canines.” Try Cryptomundo for that comment in print.
      Sykes’ work, hopefully, will matter.
      In the end, it’s the other scientists, citing to a published work, that makes it accepted, or authoritative.
      We have a wait I suppose, b/c even Sykes can only be a beginning. But, hopefully the end of the circus masters and bring in top notch study.

13. October 3, 2013 at 11:46 AM

HIGH DEFINITION… and a long way away… and through trees… and grainy… and only a few seconds long. Oh.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The similarities of gait between Bigfoot and an adult human male are remarkable. I’d say that those who think Bigfoot DNA is “50% human” are being very conservative.

14. October 5, 2013 at 3:05 PM

About the Wookie mask. When I first read about this I thought “now someone will claim that George Lucas got his Wookie design from a real Bigfoot.” I don’t want to cruise the Bigfoot boards (for my own sanity) but I would bet dollars to doughnuts that someone has claimed just that.

15. ZombyWoof
    October 15, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Just last weekend I was heading north on a state route in GA and there was a black painted plywood cutout of a Bigfoot alongside the road.

16. James
    April 15, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Even when I was younger and living in the Pacific Northwest, I knew “Bigfoot” was dreamed up by someone who had nothing better to do than scare the wits out of people. It reminds me of that radio broadcast of “War of the Worlds” that was presented by Orson Welles. All that pandemonium and fear. We are quite the gullible society, that is for sure