And REAL vertebrate paleontologists say “Grrrr…”

Yes, this will break your irony meter. Ken Ham acquires a nice Allosaurus for the Creation Museum – a fossil about 150 millions years old in a place where they believe the earth was created 6000 years ago and the dinosaurs died in freakin’ Noah’s flood.

Large dinosaur fossil donated to Creation Museum.

A Kentucky museum that tells a Bible-based history of the world says it has acquired the fossil of a large dinosaur predator similar to a Tyrannosaurus rex that offers evidence of the Old Testament worldwide flood.

The museum said in a written statement Friday that the Allosaurus probably stood about 10 feet tall and 30 feet long, and was a meat-eater. The skeleton, nicknamed “Ebenezer,” includes a skull with 53 teeth and will go on display in an exhibit next year.

The well-preserved condition of the Allosaurus is evidence that it died during a worldwide flood as described in the Bible’s Old Testament, Andrew Snelling, a geologist at the Creation Museum, said in the statement.

“The Creation Museum has asserted the specimen to be evidence of Noah’s flood without any actual research,” said Dan Phelps, president of the Kentucky Paleontological Society, said in an email Friday.

Ken Ham, from Answers in Genesis who runs the museum, is irritated that places like the Smithsonian has had lots of impressive dinosaur skeletons in their museum but used them as testiments to EVIL-ution. Ken won’t do that. He and his pseudo-geologists just make stuff up, no research is needed when you have everything already in one book.

Dan Phelps, president of the Kentucky Paleontological Society said:

“Real vertebrate paleontologists study the surrounding sediments and the geological context of their finds,” he added. “Of course since the Creation Museum doesn’t do scientific research, all (it) really has done is obtain a nice display trophy.”

This is just another absurd ploy to get people into the museum.

An Allosaurus model. Photo from Wikipedia

An Allosaurus model. Photo from Wikipedia

Tip: Thomas Proffit

Comments are tightly moderated. Please follow the Comment Policy.

26 comments for “And REAL vertebrate paleontologists say “Grrrr…”

1. jamie
    October 19, 2013 at 9:04 PM

“a geologist at the Creation Museum” hahaha

2. Harold Renshaw
    October 19, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I can’t help wondering. Did they find any evidence of its saddle or bridle? I doubt if a branding would leave evidence over the few years since it died.

3. lagaya1
    October 19, 2013 at 9:56 PM

It had an intact skeleton, plus it was covered with barnacles. Definite flood victim.

4. Ben
    October 19, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Harold, this was probably a feral Allosaurus, not the domesticated kind that Ham likes to talk about. LOL. Barnacles?? Hahaha! That’s hilarious.

5. Chris Howard
    October 20, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I’ll be moved in to my new house in Jeffersonville on Dec. the 8th, making steak oscar for dinner for my wife, and my mom, and lookin’ at an allosaurus with a flask of bourbon on the 9th!

I’m so excited!

6. Chris Howard
    October 20, 2013 at 12:11 AM

That was worded strangely.

1st my mom and wife are not the same person.

2nd the allosaurus will not have the flask. That will be me. ;-)

7. eddi
    October 20, 2013 at 2:10 AM

“Snelling said the fossil’s intact skeleton is proof of an extremely rapid burial, “which is a confirmation of the global catastrophe of a flood a few thousand years ago.” ”

Help me out here. Since when does 1 + octopus = 2? Do people like Snelling truly believe in their heart of heart that such statements are factually true? Or are they cynical manipulators of less perceptive individuals?

8. Harold Renshaw
    October 20, 2013 at 6:46 AM

The first and easiest person to fool is yourself. After that, it is easy to fool others. And if you hang with people who believe the same lie, it feels like truth.

9. Brian
    October 20, 2013 at 9:13 AM

“a geologist at the Creation Museum” studies rocks in his head….

10. October 20, 2013 at 9:23 AM

They dated it to after the Fall because of the lack of fossilized coconuts in its stomach region.

11. October 20, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Note to commenters whose posts are have not appeared here. This is a science-based site. Creationism is not science, it is a religious view. Please do not try to tell us evolution is a joke. I don’t allow it.

12. neko
    October 20, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Grrrr? Well, it’s good to see the vertebrate scientists showing some spine.

( the sound of nocturnal arthropods )

[ this comment does not qualify as worthwhile information to add to this story, but it will be heard, this comment will not be mocked! ]

13. spookyparadigm
    October 20, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Eddi, I suspect they believe young earth creationism. However, I’d be surprised that if for most of them, the engagement with science isn’t more than a necessary task to combat science.

14. Frederick
    October 20, 2013 at 11:49 AM

They never think about : if the dinosaur lived with the human… why the human race is still here.. a nice village of people would have made a nice lunch to t-Rex or velociraptor. not sure rock and wooded spear will have help a lot.Human will have been totally dominated and eaten by dinosaur lol :-)

• Harold Renshaw
      October 20, 2013 at 4:37 PM

15. lagaya1
    October 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM

You’re right, Harold. In fact they were wood eaters. After causing major leakages on the ark, Noah made them walk the plank. Scientists keep covering this up.

• Harold Renshaw
      October 20, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Iagaya1: Thank you for filling in the science I had forgotten.

16. lagaya1
    October 20, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Sure, Harold, glad to help. There was some controversy at the time, since it was the termites who made the accusation, and some people thinking that they were being backed by Big Insecta.

17. Oldskool
    October 20, 2013 at 9:34 PM

How does the theory that the dinosaurs were buried 6000 years ago explain how this well preserved skeleton is not actually bones, but rock, in the shape of the bones?

18. Mike de Nile
    October 21, 2013 at 1:30 AM

@Chris Howard. “1st my mom and wife are not the same person.”

A shame. It would have been so Biblical if they were!

19. eddi
    October 21, 2013 at 3:16 AM

@ Harold Renshaw
    “The dinosaurs in those days weren’t carnivores. That is proven by the fact that Noah could take them on his ark.”

Along with lions, tigers and bears. Oh my! I think I’m gonna do a 720* eyeroll and just move on with my life.

20. One Eyed Jack
    October 21, 2013 at 6:49 AM

Come on now, cut AiG some slack. Even they understand that having a single exhibit consisting of a lone sign that simply states, “Goddidit” won’t bring in the tourists. You’ve got to have a hook. You need to at least pretend to be a real museum.

21. Chris Howard
    October 21, 2013 at 12:16 PM

@ Mike

Please note I’m moving across the river from Kentucky, not to Kentucky…

although I have relatives in Eastern Kentucky (Hazard – I sh*t you not) that remind one of the Whites of West Virginia, and may have in fact been related before they were related are pretty nice people.

But you’re right. They get pretty biblical up in the hollers. ;-)

22. One Eyed Jack
    October 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM

You’re going to be in Indiana, Chris. It’s not much of an improvement with our “In God We Trust” license plates and Richard Murdoch. Fortunately, enough sensible people remain that Murdoch did not get elected, but the plates are everywhere.

• Harold Renshaw
      October 21, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I lived in Evansville for a while. We decided to go North after observing some of he locals. Didn’t see any dinosaurs there. Except in mentality.

23. Chris Howard
    October 21, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Yeah I graduated from Jeff High class of 1988, so I’m familiar with the scene.

Trust me though fellas, Texas isn’t much better, and I’ll be in Chitown, and Nashville, a lot… that, or my cousins on Bardstown road.

Scratch that. Texas is worse. The lege has just tried to exclude voters who’s last names aren’t correct on their current ID’s.

Newly married, and divorced women may not be able to change their ID’s in time to vote for Wendy Davis.

Time to leave the Confederacy behind. ;-)