Unidentifiable? How come I see a weather balloon, then?

Disappointed in this story. It’s not “unidentifiable”, it’s “unidentified”. And, I could ID it pretty quickly. Why these things are news, I’m just not clear. Do they not ask any experts at all?

UFO? Cass Lake science teacher takes photo of unidentifiable object | INFORUM | Fargo, ND.

Allison Barta saw something.

It was in the sky, translucent, circular, disc-like and most certainly, positively and identifiably unidentifiable. It was also an object that was flying.

Barta was taking pictures of pelicans outside her rural Cass Lake home in northern Minnesota on Sept. 2. That’s when she saw the saucer, which spanned the horizon in just a few seconds at an incredible speed, she said.

What we see is our perception; our interpretation is dependent on what we want to see and the framework we supply to the interpretation.

This looks exactly like a weather balloon. I’m wondering why a science teacher would not have considered that. Or, did the news reporter just trump up the “mysterious” part.

Tip: Jack Brewer

10 comments for “Unidentifiable? How come I see a weather balloon, then?

1. Chris Howard
    September 15, 2013 at 9:13 AM

It’s an airborne cryptid jellyfish!

2. Tepi Benton
    September 15, 2013 at 10:13 AM

This is the “new” policy of news casts. They only report on what they hear, without doing any investigation. They should know the difference between unidentified and unidentifiable. Shame on our newscasters. This gives a new definition on Airheads.

3. September 15, 2013 at 10:42 AM

It’s actually lens flare – it’s an internal reflection of the sun, which is just out of the frame, in the camera lens – there is a second fainter flare that lines up toward the center.

4. September 15, 2013 at 10:51 AM

@Mark Bellis
    (from the article) “The reactions are amazing,” Barta said. “There’s only been very few people that just walked away and don’t want to see it. I’m not standing there and going ‘Oh, it’s aliens.’ But it’s definitely not a lens flare, cause we saw it with the naked eye.””

Assuming that that’s true, a weather balloon seems to be more likely.

5. September 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM

BTW, I see this all the time. I keep encountering people who assume that what they represent everyone, in that if they can’t do, like, explain, or (in this case) identify something, then it’s undoable, unexplainable, unlikable, unexplainable, or unidentifiable. There are certainly individual things for which their statement is true, but nearly always, it’s demonstrably wrong. I wish I could understand why people act that way, whether it’s ego or stupidity, but I really do encounter it a lot.

6. September 15, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I see a small puffy cloud, a lens flare and two birds. I posted a photo recently on my FB that shows two birds that look just like that. These are likely high-flying geese or some other large birds. Inmy case I am pretty sure that they were American Peiicans.

7. Daran
    September 15, 2013 at 4:44 PM

It looks like an eddy or whirlpool of air concentrating cloud into a circle.
    The atmosphere is massive with many weird effects, way beyond the understanding of science.

• September 15, 2013 at 4:51 PM

We don’t have enough info to say it is that. Or to assert it is “beyond the understanding of science”. The simplest explanation that should be explored is weather balloon since that is most obvious.

8. September 15, 2013 at 6:01 PM

She sounds more like a pseudo-science teacher.

9. Chris Howard
    September 15, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Airborne jellyfish, I say! You’re all mad as hatters! It’s as plane as the nose on my face! ;-)