The superstitious flight to HEL

All passengers are now invited to board Flight 666 to Hel-sinki…

Flight 666 To HEL Flies On Friday The 13th.

Would you board flight 666 to HEL on Friday the 13th?

For superstitious travelers, that might be tempting fate. But Finnair passengers on AY666 to Helsinki – which has the 3 letter designation HEL – don’t seem too bothered. Friday’s flight is almost full.

“It has been quite a joke among the pilots” said veteran Finnair pilot Juha-Pekka Keidasto, who will fly the Airbus A320 from Copenhagen to Helsinki. “I’m not a superstitious man. It’s only a coincidence for me.”

Those are some sane countries. Wish I lived there. Highway 666 was changed in the US based on the idea that it was cursed (and people kept stealing the awesome signs). And there are still silly superstitions about numbers.

I’d fly to Helsinki! Someone get me a ticket. Although… this is the Flight 666 I’d like to be on
iron_maiden_flight_666_1s

Comments are tightly moderated. Please follow the Comment Policy.

9 comments for “The superstitious flight to HEL

1. September 13, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I insist 13 is my lucky number – with my luck it has to be. Think Highway 666 is renamed 491 now. Yeah i”m a supersticious bog trotter, but try to avoid most of em. I have deliberately walked under ladders,but that’s only one think is simple logic,rather than supersticion – had water & shammies dropped on me heid. Depending what country or region you in black cats can be good or bad luck. I still say hello & salute magpies (obligatory to say in French now,of course). Know it’s utter bollocks “one for sorrow” as magpies mate for life,& if you look around & wait you’ll see the “two for joy”. One usuallu high up,out of sight doing lookout,while other feeds. Could never get it through to me revered aged one who hated seeing maggies,& had no other supersticious stuff other than that. The unlucky 13 had dropped out of folklore pretty much before the Apollo 13 incident, before regaining the supersticious drivel.

2. Graham
    September 13, 2013 at 10:08 PM

As the song says, “Get your kicks on Route 666…!”

3. Chris Howard
    September 13, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Hells yeah! Best. Flight. Ever!!!!

4. September 14, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Have you seen this story? “Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson denies manufacturing drones for US military”

• September 14, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Thanks for that Ross!

5. One Eyed Jack
    September 14, 2013 at 1:28 AM

I was in Hell, Michigan last month and stopped for lunch at the Dam Inn. I took the highway to Hell, like a normal person.

6. September 14, 2013 at 4:26 AM

I was born on Friday the 13th. My dad was born on Friday the 13th. Life has been pretty good. I’ve walked under ladders, broken mirrors, spilled salt, opened umbrellas indoors, and regularly carry $2 bills in my wallet. I don’t recall ever having any unexplained bad luck . . . other than not winning the lottery.

7. Stamen
    September 15, 2013 at 4:58 PM

In the Nineteen Century the British Navy tried to dispel the myth of Friday the 13th being unlucky. They commissioned a ship called Friday. Construction was started on a Friday and it was launched on a Friday. It set off on it’s maiden voyage Captained by James Friday on Friday the 13th. It was lost and never heard of again. Such a good legend a shame it isn’t true.

• September 15, 2013 at 6:11 PM

The apocrypical stories are often as interesting as the true ones,reflecting the mentality & superstions & beliefs of the era. Best probably non existant apocrypical yarn i heard,cos of my interest in military history is the aged admiral,on aircraft carrier for for first time,asking if the planes folded their wings before or after they landed,perpetuating the “Colonel Blimp” image of the military higher ranks from the first to early Second World War.Found the same sort of stuff floating around even in recent French pseudo history,since moved here. So many legendary legends,if get me drift. When post lot of stuff in my crappy ungrammatical French often open with their equivalent of once upon a time – “Il était une fois …”. Particularly since they continue to believe Paris was liberated by the French resistance, General Leclerc (i use his supermarket regularly,though may be mistaken with the family connection) & de Gaulle himself. Bollocks – was the American divisional detachment pushed ahead & the French tried to race him to the prestigious sites in the city.