Rose Marks found guilty of all counts in fraud trial

UPDATE (29-Oct-2013) Due to an absurd DMCA complaint, this post has been edited to remove the word “psychic”, now replaced with [...]. Note that the wording was a quote, not anything written by Doubtful News.

This was just announced by the reporter following the story for the Sun Sentinel.

More details to follow.

Here is the Chronology of the trial that was wacky all the way through.

Jury finds [...] Rose Marks guilty on all 14 fraud… | www.palmbeachpost.com.

A federal jury in West Palm Beach has found [...] Rose Marks, guilty on all 14 charges of fraud.

Marks was immediately taken away to jail, and faces a possible 20 years in prison when she is sentenced on Dec. 9.

Marks, 62, the matriarch of the family that operated out of storefronts in New York City and Fort Lauderdale, picked her victims carefully, he said. Plagued by what they viewed as insurmountable problems, they came to her believing she could contact spirits that would right their torn lives. Instead, Bardfeld said, she fleeced them.

Her crimes included wire fraud, money-laundering and filing false tax returns.

Psychic fraud trial: Jury finds Rose Marks guilty of $25 million fraud conspiracy – Sun Sentinel.

Rose Marks told clients of her psychic business that she could foresee the future, fix the past and even control the Internal Revenue Service — but she was visibly shocked Thursday when jurors took just five hours to find her guilty of masterminding a $25 million fraud.

Her plea for bail was rejected.

Things got a bit dramatic.

Daughter Rosie Marks began hyperventilating and collapsed to the floor in the hallway outside the courtroom. She and her two brothers, their spouses, one of Marks’ granddaughters and Marks’ sister have all pleaded guilty to related charges and are free while awaiting sentencing later this year.

Other members of the extended family shouted and one threw a Bible in the courtroom, yelling “I hate this Bible … I don’t want this Bible anymore.”

What a family! It looks like Marks will appeal.

Addition: One interesting point I see is the despair Marks feels for being in jail and not being able to provide for her family. I believe this is a cultural thing. Their priorities are freedom and doing anything to survive. What will she do now other than die in prison?

9 comments for “Rose Marks found guilty of all counts in fraud trial

1. September 26, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I just want to say, this makes me so so so happy.

2. Jose the Paranormal Skeptic
    September 26, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Bet she didn’t see this coming.

3. September 26, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I’m amused at the ads that show up on that news site. Now they’re for credit score manipulation and selling timeshares, but earlier today I saw at least two different psychic ads and screencapped one, and just to be sure the psychic ad doesn’t get any juice I edited out the domain name:
    Perhaps the the site has noticed and disallowed ads with the word psychic in them.

Oh, about the story … I heard her lawyer going on and on about how she believed she was innocent, she felt misunderstood, just trying to help people, bla bla bla, yet preparing for the possibility of being sent to prison… oh, the shamelessness and denial … but then, that’s exactly how she scammed so many people out of so much money to begin with.

I just glanced through a little of the chronology, and yeah, she probably IS getting what she deserves, spending the rest of her life in prison.

4. drwfishesman
    September 26, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Finally, someone getting what they deserve. I needed that today.

5. courtney7777
    September 26, 2013 at 11:44 PM

I bet gypsies across the country are shaking tonight. VERY GLAD to see this! And great reporting, btw. :)
    I have an elderly father who’s in the midst of a Marks scam in Arizona and refuses to see it for what it is, despite having lost 150k since March. Seeing any Marks scammer get what’s coming to them, certainly warms my heart.

6. courtney7777
    September 26, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Does anyone happen to know where Rose and her psychic friends originated from? Was it California or NY?

7. RDW
    October 1, 2013 at 8:58 AM

PRAISE JEBUS !!!!

8. Colin
    October 3, 2013 at 7:01 AM

It would be nice to see this as a victory for good sense, but I wonder if the court was most seriously bothered by the money-laundering and tax evasion, rather than the anti-science and the callous behavior.

9. Tracey Love
    October 12, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Does anyone know how this Rose Marks is related to Richard Mitchell, the son of the self proclaimed KING OF GYPSY’S? They are all from South Florida and have been arrested in over 13 states for distraction thefts, larceny, etc.