Originally published Aug 28, 2013. See update below.

Get offa my lawn!

Strange monument mysteriously shows up in front of Paseo area restaurant.

Owners of Paseo Grill say a giant concrete monument mysteriously showed up on the front lawn of their restaurant. It weighs hundreds of pounds, and nobody knows where it came from or why it is there.

The concrete pillar is rough in texture and appears to have been ripped from its foundation and somehow ended up in the front lawn.

The wording on the block is even more bizarre than its arrival.

“It says ‘In the year of our lord 2012 Creer Pipi claimed this land for azathoth,” Rawlinson said. “It’s kind of a problem that we’re stuck with, a very heavy problem.”

The owners of the restaurant want the owner of the concrete block to take it back. However, it’s not been reported stolen and there’s no way to know who it belongs to unless the owner comes forward.

The text on the block refers to Azathoth which is a deity in the Cthulu mythos, based on the writings of H.P. Lovecraft. So it could be a prank, perhaps made by some literature students or just some really big H.P. Lovecraft fans? I know we have some knowledgable commentators here…

paseo_mystery_monument

UPDATE (16-Sept-2013) Here’s who did it.

Eric Piper and J. David Osbourne aren’t cultists (that we know of), by they did build a 300-lb. monument to the dark Lovecraftian god Azathoth and left it on the lawn of the unsuspecting Paseo Grill in Oklahoma City two weeks ago.

Note that the language on the plaque: “Creer pipi” is an anagram of Eric Piper. They did it as an art stunt and a statement about land ownership or something. They are sort of jokesters so its all in good fun.

18 comments for “Nothing concrete known about this block (UPDATE: Azathoth monument makers found)

1. Chris Howard
    August 28, 2013 at 10:48 AM

My advice DON’T F#*K WITH CTHULHU!!!

2. August 28, 2013 at 10:58 AM

If that showed up in my yard, I’d just leave it be. Best to have Cthulhu on your side…(or at least show Cthulhu you’re on his side.)

3. neko
    August 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM

It’s probably not worth explicating something so puerile, but…

“Pipi Creer” in Spanish would translate “To Believe Pee Pee”. If you search on it, you will find a spanish language article on a liquor dispenser which uses the Manneken Pis image to dispense. Actually, the base of that resembles this obelisk shape closely.

Actually the website’s with the liquor dispenser article is titled “No Puedo Creer”, “I can’t believe”. Not dissimilar to this site.

My suggestion would be to the restaurant owners they search their minds for someone who was chased off for relieving themselves on that section of grass.

Azathoth is a mindless cosmic demon sultan, he has no concept of property. However, I would recommend capitalizing his name, just in case his devotees notice you, unlike the pranksters here. Especially PipPi Longstockings. She’s scary.

4. One Eyed Jack
    August 28, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I once dropped an old bathtub in a friend’s front yard as part of an ongoing prank war. This would have been so much better!

5. Nos482
    August 28, 2013 at 1:02 PM

IÄ! IÄ! Azathoth! Eternally raving at the center of oblivion!

6. Confucious, the Confused Chinese
    August 28, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Just in case: I, For One, Welcome Our New Overlords!

7. Geoff Offermann
    August 28, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.

Meh…he’ll know what it means. The rest of you are on your own.

8. Chris Howard
    August 29, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Does anyone else find it odd that most of the Doubtful readers have a better than average knowledge of H. P. Lovecraft, particularly the Cthulhu mythos?

9. eddi
    August 29, 2013 at 3:36 AM

@ Chris Howard Not really. Besides there is a bias at work here. The article is attracting Lovecraft aficionados. As well as other, less visible entities. Don’t look behind you!

10. KR
    August 29, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I have gotten the impression that many of those who have a sceptic outlook are familiar with the Cthulhu mythos. Whatever the way causes and correlations go, may be influenced by those on the Outside – or maybe not.

Anyway, looks like resolved:

Creer Pipi is an anagram for Eric Piper.

Someone who probably knows Eric:

Eric’s Resume:

11. spookyparadigm
    August 29, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Neverminding the massive debt that sections of Forteana owe to Lovecraft after his death (most of ufo lore can be either directly or tangentially traced to HPL: the crytal-clear link to Ancient Aliens, the even more crystal-clear direct link to Reptilians, and the likely influences on the MIB and Mothman through Gray Barker and Albert Bender, more than a shade of influence on various ultraterrestrial writers; and I would argue a potential influence on Richard Shaver and all that entails), Lovecraft wrote several subgenres of horror and science fiction, but his Cthulhu Mythos I would argue is something close to a starkly serious version of Fort’s worldview. Science running into the barriers that shows it can’t explain the universe and that if there is a creator, it is insane. The notion of being property of something else. The idea of humans being fished for by beings outside our sphere of existence. And the research methods of most Lovecraftian protagonists in the Cthulhu Mythos, who piece together bizarre bits of out-of-the-way news to find the secrets of the universe: an odd fight between ships and a mad sailor; strange bodies out of folklore washing up in a river; a voodoo cult, mad artists committing suicide, and strange dreams by scientists all on the same night; weird archaeological ruins matching descriptions out of medieval legends half-a-world away; police reports of body snatchers and supposed vampires, and so on. Lovecraft himself stated he made Fort-style press clippings of odd stories of ancient ruins, sea serpents, sunken continents, etc. to inspire his work.

In their movie adaptation of The Whisperer in Darkness, the film starts with a debate between the protagonist and Charles Fort, a nice nod to this inspiration (and a neat role for Andrew Lehman to play). I think their Call of Cthulhu is a better film, but Whisperer is decent, it is more accessible to non-Lovecraft readers, and I’d recommend it to people who seek out the topics in this blog, especially if you have any weakness for mid-twentieth century movies (the film purposely mimics 1930s era horror movies, though again, not as amazingly as their silent Call of Cthulhu).

The first full trailer for the film emphasizes Fort

12. August 30, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Sorry I was taking a brief break from the Internet when this story broke. Nice work that the Internet figured out the Eric Piper anagram. (http://okiecollective.com/blog/featured-artist-eric-piper/) I agree, Azathoth probably wouldn’t really “get” the idea of property ownership.

Now if they can get a posse of shoggoths to move that thing. They can bring it to my house!

13. eddi
    August 31, 2013 at 3:15 AM

@ spookyparadigm
    Thank you for the trailer. This is the first I had heard of a new movie from the HPL Historic Society.

14. neko
    August 31, 2013 at 8:24 PM

You know it, Mr. Smith. I have a friend who co-signed on timeshare in R’lyeh with him, and now the place is underwater.

15. spookyparadigm
    August 31, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Eddi, they’ve also released some more Dark Adventure Radio Theater episodes. Call of Cthulhu last October, a 2-hour Charles Dexter Ward a few months ago, and this week The Colour Out of Space. Call of Cthulhu was a triumph (I was initially skeptical as they had already covered the story in their film, but it emphasized much of what they couldn’t do in the film; the Louisiana/St. Louis section is particularly excellent). I wasn’t as taken by Charles Dexter Ward, but I suspect this was due to my not really liking the story all that much, it being the rare Lovecraft story that has a decent adaptation elsewhere (see the film The Resurrected if you can), and I thought the ending was a bit too trite. I haven’t purchased The Colour Out of Space yet, but I am hesitating as I’m not a huge of this story either, and a lot of what I think HPLHS does best isn’t going to be available (though I’ll note that it seems they’ve emphasized the professors quite more than the story does, a decision also made with Whisperer in Darkness).

16. Chris Howard
    September 16, 2013 at 9:14 AM

The 2005 “The Call of Cthulhu.” is excellent!

It’s shot like a silent movie, and has strong Fritz Lang, Metropolis elements mixed with Robert Wienes “The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.”

Really very cool

17. spookyparadigm
    September 16, 2013 at 10:29 AM

And it’s available on Hulu for free.

18. ZombyWoof
    September 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM

An imaginary “God” just like all “Gods” are.