Le Loyon, mystery character of the Swiss woods, is photographed

In this article, the mystery man of the Swiss woods is compared to Bigfoot. As befitting legendary creatures, the photo is not very satisfactory.

Figure Who Stalks Swiss Woods Spotted: Man Gets First Photo Of Le Loyon | eCanadaNow.

The mysterious figure said to roam a specific trial in the Western Swiss woods for a decade now has been caught on film.

‘I came across him near the marches,’ said the unnamed amateur photographer who tracked him down. ‘I approached him up to a dozen metres away.

‘He had a military cape, boots and an army gas mark – an antique type, I think. He measured more than 1.90m. He stared at me then turned his back on me and left in silence.’

At any rate, the man, known locally as “Le Loyon”, wears a camouflaged cloak and roams the forest trail daily. Up to this time, he had been only a legend with no photographs establishing his existence.

Le Loyon walking away

Le Loyon walking away

In another piece, he’s like the Loch Ness monster.
Switzerland’s most mysterious man – The Kernel.

For over ten years, someone has been patrolling the forests of Switzerland dressed in a gas mask, boiler suit and cloak. Every day, the mysterious man walks the same route through the forests.

One recorded encounter with Le Loyon is particularly unusual. On a hot summer’s day in 2012, a family driving through the forest in Maules saw Le Loyon on patrol, but this time he was holding a bouquet of flowers. Scared that he might attack them, they drove off.

Ideas about about the identity of this person abound – a mentally unstable person, a survivalist, a person with a horrible skin condition. The police say “he” hasn’t done anything wrong but would like to meet up with the mysterious character in order to assure residents regarding the unnerving behavior.

Of course, it’s not certain that the photo has not been staged or has another explanation.

24 comments for “Le Loyon, mystery character of the Swiss woods, is photographed

1. spookyparadigm
    September 12, 2013 at 12:58 PM

1. It’s a Daily Mail story

2. This supposedly infamous legend who is seen daily has not only never been photographed in the last ten years, but has never been mentioned on the internet until now.

There’s a story here, but I’ll be surprised if it is only about a guy in a costume.

2. spookyparadigm
    September 12, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Correction: I see it isn’t just a Mail story, but the rest?

• September 12, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I would bet there is more in French.

3. fatimavh
    September 12, 2013 at 3:07 PM

What makes a guy in a military cape mysterious?
    Could be a real, non doctored, picture of a regular guy, no?

4. Walter Turner
    September 12, 2013 at 3:08 PM

The only French article I see has almost word for word what the other articles say. More informative is the absence of a reference in Wikipedia.
    Is it too late this year for sour-pickle recipes?

• September 12, 2013 at 4:56 PM

The farmer dun it! Good way to keep annoying hikers,campers,& yodellers off his land.Think we’ve cracked it.All short little vignettes that tell nothing.Sometimes to me only mystery is how these stories get into the papers & online.Might be surprised about the amount of alcoholism & looney characters wandering about France & Europe generally.Got an American guy,supposedly living in Lille,visits here in Valanciennes at times in WWII uniforms,waving a big Stars & Stripes shouting unintelligibly in middle of roads & tramway. Being a native of Northern Ireland & a Scotofile i thought we had the monopoly on the eccentrics & nutters. Rest of Europe full of em too. A character of “Le Loyon” ilk is not really that out of the ordinary. Stories of his behaviour, though somewhat repetive or generic plausible, from some of folks i’ve seen here. Me derriere is sore sitting on the fence on this one. If i remember i’ll keep trying to throw it into search now & again & ask on some of the “Etrange et insolite” sites. Got a feeling,though this is going to disappear into the mist like many other stories of it’s sort.

5. spookyparadigm
    September 12, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Sharon, I followed your link back to the original story, and google translated it. There isn’t much there.

• September 12, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Hmm. If this was so legendary, why are there no other references to it (that’s what I meant about other stuff being in French.)

6. Kristen
    September 12, 2013 at 3:21 PM

This is the lamest ‘monster’ ever. How easy should it be to get a picture of someone that supposedly walks the same path every day?

7. September 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Yup but not much (or rather lost will to live after 10 pages of Google France,when wanting to tell me distance between Lyon & Switzerland,rent,& hire charges,etc). Several other sightings for past 10 years aparrently,& cheeses off locals,who think he scares the tourists off. Sightings variously in cape & gas mask, white hooded chemical type suit, blue boiler suit & cap pulled over his face, camo cape, & variations of afore mentioned. Links (in French of course) . http://www.tunisky.com/suisse-le-loyon-le-mysterieux-inconnu-au-masque-a-gaz-qui-hante-la-foret-de-maules/ . http://www.nouvelordremondial.cc/2013/09/12/le-loyon-lhomme-le-plus-mysterieux-de-la-suisse/ .http://www.lematin.ch/faits-divers/loyon-rire/story/25650014 .

8. September 12, 2013 at 3:34 PM

On rereading one of the reports seems a bit contradictory that although they keep saying nobody has seen his face, one supposed witness says “his eyes were fixed on me”. How the heck did he know if he didn’t see his face? Think the guy exists,but becoming an urban legend,while still alive & some people making up their own stories,to court publicity.

9. spookyparadigm
    September 12, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Paul, those are all since late August.

10. RDW
    September 12, 2013 at 3:37 PM

It sounds like just a normal guy out for a stroll and a bit of fresh air, perhaps a little wildlife observation. Maybe his wife doesn’t want him smoking in the house or something. OR MAYBE IT”S BIGFOOT IN DISGUISE COME TO STEAL YOUR CHICKENS !!!!!!! But I’d think it’s more likely just a nature enthusiast, who is perhaps a bit shy. I’m that same way myself.

• September 12, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Nothing more recent. Subscribe to several French sites that feature this sort of stuff,but never heard of him til tonight. Mind you only been here 2 years. Having regular experience with French & some Swiss soft cheeses,i can understand the gas mask.

11. spookyparadigm
    September 12, 2013 at 3:52 PM

No, my point is, nothing on this on the internet until the first story appeared. Yet it has supposedly been terrifying people for a decade. And is seen daily. This seems unlikely.

This stinks of

• September 12, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Yeah get your point. Just a cluster of stories around same time supposedly backdating the “history”. I’ve been pocklin about with my crap French on French sites on old stories heard long ago in English, to see if anything different, or different cultural slant on them, & never come across this story to date. Given the nut eating cousin of the piranha type reporting here it’s pretty much Chinese whispers, in a Frainch accent at times. They love a mystery almost as much as they love their sex scandals & puns here, so odd never came across it yet. However i am so far north i’m almost in Belgium, & the southern papers bordering Switzerland may cover it, but nothing else came up in my searches, & mentioning the name “Le Loyon” to t’other half just got blank stares & queries about my accent, & have i had a stroke.Ulster/Scots is not made for the French language;

12. September 12, 2013 at 4:40 PM

As spooky paradigm says, the original story is tame. The story quotes It’s only one farmer that says the guy has been wandering the woods for ten years.

13. September 12, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Accidental Tab – Enter and I posted before I finished my comment :(

The story also says that most of the sightings are on Sundays and quotes a few recent sightings.

It’s nothing more than a story some guy stalking the woods in his gear. The guy is not aggressive and the local forest guy was saying they were going out to find him and try and discourage him from continuing. It really does sound like a few (stereotypically Swiss) uptight folks getting upset that a freak is wandering the woods.

A little context: Most Swiss males need to do National Service. The outfit is the standard Chemical Warfare outfit.

• September 12, 2013 at 5:17 PM

SFR is giving me yet another slow crappy interweb night, half the notifications coming out of sync.I solved one ghost story but took forever to convince folk of the answer – the ghost was me doing security patrols at night with or without a torch,but nobody wanted to believe the simple explanation. As previously stated Switzerland is a country full of current & past conscripts,who keep all of their kit at home usually,so the stories where true of seeing a character like this,could be numerous locals using their gear to keep out,cold,rain, & snow,etc, & not one mythical “wildman of the woods”. If it’s in snowy areas the reflections & glare going to give you poor clear vision of anyone at a distance. Too many stories running together here i suspect, some people getting in on act to tell their own little ficticious story to get on band wagon, stir vigoursly & half bake in oven online & in a jurnos after work “aperitif” in the local bar tabac after work, & you get a legend born, from joining the dots, to make a picture, but not in the right numerical order. Even the “respectable” journals here get caught out for rubbish reporting. Just in case you missed it Bugarach is getting a drip of publicity again – oops wrong date – next apocolypse is 2017 or maybe 2027 & they’re preparing again. PMSL. Couple of well off French have built UFO (or OVNIS as called here) shaped houses on lower slopes of the Pik.

14. September 12, 2013 at 5:14 PM

The comments on the articles are telling. A few bad jokes (“I saw the same thing … when I was doing my basic training”). A lot of “he isn’t hurting anyone, leave the guy alone.” Some sarcasm “ten years and finally a reporter from ‘le Matin’ has decided there is a story” (‘le Matin’ is a morning rag not known for quality reporting).

15. Sids
    September 12, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Before reading the article I thought the picture looked more like a seed pod hanging from a tree branch in the foreground.

If he walks the same path everyday he’d presumbly be pretty easy to observe. Doesn’t seem to be avoiding people either, just looks at them and keeps walking. How would this story take years to verify?

16. Le Loyon
    September 22, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I am Le Loyon. They’ll neither find nor catch me. I live between the realms & can switch between whenever I so choose.

• September 23, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Oh, Hai. Quit scaring people.