Flesh for sorcery: So called magical treatments involved sex and fees

I don’t know if this is a recent trend or that it’s just making the news a lot. But it’s appalling why anyone would buy into this. However, these con men are good at fast-talking fraud.

Police: Self-proclaimed ‘sorcerer’ manipulated woman into sex and bilked her out of thousands | JPost | Israel News.

A self-proclaimed “sorcerer” from the Golan Heights manipulated a woman into having sex with him as part of a series of “magical treatments” he was providing her to help her recover from a break-up with her boyfriend, Tel Aviv police said.

The story began six months ago, police said, when the woman found the 39-year-old Golan Heights resident on the Internet and asked him to help her with holistic treatment to recover from emotional despair caused by the break-up. Over the coming months the man held a number of meetings with the woman, during which he promised that through the power of sorcery he could make her boyfriend come back to her – all while charging her thousands of shekels in fees.

During a recent treatment, the man allegedly convinced the woman to have sex with him, saying that it was a ritual needed in order to make the magic work.

The police are looking for other potential victims of the so-called sorcerer and other reports of similar methods used by other con men.

7 comments for “Flesh for sorcery: So called magical treatments involved sex and fees

1. September 10, 2013 at 5:29 PM

As with a lot of these phenomenon belief &/or desperation drives people to do some bizarre things,even before the manipulators & rip off merchants get in on the act. I will admit to visiting a “magnétiseur”, under pressure from the sis in law to be in Bretagne, while on holiday (she paid!) while extremely sceptical. Did experience a strange heat & electrical type thing,i can’t explain, & helped the auld decrepit body & pains some for a few weeks. Wheather just the wishful thinking that something would give me pain releif,despite thinking it’s a load of bollocks,& i’ll just do it fo me sis in law,or what i don’t know. But sex as a cure – what absolute explexitive deleted! Desperation is a terrible thing,especially when a manipulator messes with your already unbalanced & desperate mind. Despite my interest in the weird & wunnerful,the vaguries of the human mind have always been the more interesting factor to me.

2. September 10, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Again, had he just done the same thing and claimed it was a religious requirement he would have gotten away with it.

3. September 11, 2013 at 12:30 AM

There’s a couple things this reminds me of various cults (see the Youtube video “Mind Control Cults”) and some of the “deprogrammers” in the 1970s, both of which involved “you need to have sex with me” to either be a True Part of The Group (they’re usually religious groups, so “God wants us to be together”) or “You need to do this” to recover from being a part of The Group. I suspect this sort of thing is incredibly common.

Unrelated (sorta), I’m also thinking of the first hit song by the group Heart, “Magic Man.”

4. Warren
    September 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Hmm. He charged her money for treatment, and the treatment was sex. If nothing else sticks, the should be able to charge him with prostitution.

5. Chris Howard
    September 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Great. Now I have this image of Billy Idol singing “Flesh for sorcery!”

• September 11, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I’m glad someone gets my obscure pop culture references.

6. Chris Howard
    September 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I get all your pop-culture references.

I’m old, and as loathe as I am to admit this, I’m a pop-culture junkie! (Especially exploitation films, and B horror movies. Mario Bava is a God! A God I tell you!) There. I said it…

BTW a lot of your headlines end up on my “Best Band Names, Ever!” list, usually along side stuff that Bob says in his posts.
    :-)