Art Bell returns Sept. 16

Great. More craziness. Even crazier than before because it will be uncensored.

Paranormal expert Art Bell returning to radio Sept. 16 | The Town Talk | thetowntalk.com.

Art Bell, radio’s master of the paranormal and outward edges of science, will return to the microphone Sept. 16 with a new nighttime show on Sirius XM Radio.

Bell was one of radio’s top syndicated voices in the 1990s before walking away from his nightly show in 2002 due to family issues. He worked occasionally after that but hasn’t been on the air since Halloween 2010.

A Sirius representative contacted Bell through social media a few months ago, leading to the formation of his show, “Art Bell’s Dark Matter.” He’ll talk about things like UFOs, ghosts, near-death experiences and weird aspects of science. He’ll do interviews and take calls from viewers.

There is a rivalry with George Noory who took over for Bell on Coast to Coast AM. Bell says Noory’s show is not edgy enough which makes us wonder just how off the edge the new show will be.

I know many people, even skeptically-minded folks, find this stuff incredibly entertaining. I can’t manage to stay up that late usually to listen (but I have hinted that I would be glad to be a guest on Coast to Coast, you know, for a tiny bit of balance). The paranormal/weird news genre is certainly growing. That’s not actually so great since familiarity breeds acceptance. In this case, people are hearing some really outrageous claims but no evidence to go with it. It’s fun to listen to and to think about but many people REALLY BELIEVE THIS STUFF. Is it fair to call a radio host an “expert” in the paranormal? Why? Just because he listens to all the stories? I doubt it.

Doubtful News does its best to counter outrageous claims with a questioning format. We simply want to get the best answer, not just one that sounds good. I’m afraid it will continue to be a hard struggle against the mystery mongerers as paranormal popularity rolls onwards. Any advice?

11 comments for “Art Bell returns Sept. 16

1. Sam
    September 8, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Radio host an expert, now that’s a good one
    Expert textpert choking smokers
    Don’t you think the joker laughs at you? (Ha ha ha! He he he! Ha ha ha!)

2. September 8, 2013 at 11:24 AM

So I am one of those who stays up late to listen to Coast from time to time, and I make an effort to listen to the Saturday/Sunday night “Somewhere in time episodes” of classic Art Bell. I did so last night. There was a lot of woo woo baloney on Art’s episodes. I expect there to be more woo woo baloney on the new episodes. However, Bell had a knack sorely missing with Norry and (and in my opinion the odious) John B. Wells to call the guest out when they went way overboard or were being inconsistent. Bell also at times had actual scientists on his episodes to counter the B.S. of other guests. Also, the guy is just a brilliant broadcaster. His timing and tone are nearly flawless. When Norry has some guest spewing forth nonsense I want to shake my fist at the radio, and often flip the channel off in frustration. Bell on the other hand has the ability to keep me engaged without me wanting to drive out the Kingdom of Nye to give him a piece of my mind.

On a more practical side, listening to Coast is a portal into what the cultural competition is thinking or the hot topic of the moment. I am a bit jazzed by the return of Art Bell. At there very least this will be an outlet for new material for Dr. Stuart Robbins podcast Exposing PseudoAstronomy. (Shameless plug)

@Sam Are you the eggman or the walrus?

3. Stuart Robbins
    September 8, 2013 at 12:42 PM

What Nigel said (and thank you for the plug ;-) ). Personally, I listen to C2C and I’ll listen to DM because I use it as material for my podcast and blog. And sometimes it’s a nice diversion from podcast after podcast of skeptic stuff.

I’ve listened to SO much of it, and I have well over 200GB of shows, that I feel fairly confident in saying that – like the actual material or not – Art could DO radio. He made it a conversation, he would actually challenge his guests (softly, but still challenge) to explain their claims and do it so it was as coherent as possible. He also had the ability to keep it interesting.

Meanwhile, George is just a “yes man.” He agrees with every statement of every guest (slight hyperbole, but only slight). He also clearly does not prepare, and he doesn’t even pay attention to the guest when they’re on the air and he’s supposed to be interviewing him. This is manifest where in practically every episode, sometimes multiple times, he will either ask the same question twice – after it has already been answered – or he’ll ask a question that was just answered as part of a different question he was asked.

With Art, one got the impression that he was genuinely interested in the material and at least understanding the claim, and you also got the impression that he did NOT believe everything the guest said. George, not so much.

And a small possible correction, Sharon: No where does the article call Art an “expert.” It calls him a “master of the paranormal.” To me, that reads as though he was a “master” (as in “had control of” or “controlled well on his show”) the paranormal. At least, that’s how I interpret that phrase.

4. Stuart Robbins
    September 8, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Sorry, gotta give you a correction on your change based on my earlier correction: Art always did unscreened open lines (assuming that’s what you mean by “uncensored”). It’s George that changed them to screened, though the (otherwise horrible) C2C host John B. Wells also does unscreened (what he calls “naked”) open lines. So, while Art doing unscreened calls will be an improvement on the current version of C2C, it’s nothing new for Art.

5. Chris Howard
    September 8, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Your content is top notch. Doubtful is a quality product, and in this day and age that’s really saying something.

That said, a lot of what I’m hearing from the skeptic community, at large, is that we want to take that next step, and reach a larger audience.

To successfully compete with the likes of Art Bell, and Alex Jones means that we have to up the production value and utilize more than just the Internet. (YouTube and blogs aren’t enough) If we want to grow the audience we have to get the message on radio, TV, etc.

• September 9, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Thanks Chris: Not everyone thinks so. :-P

6. ZombyWoof
    September 9, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I used to listen to Coast to Coast AM. I found it entertaining but never took it seriously. But I did hear Phil Plait interviewed on that show once.

7. ZombyWoof
    September 9, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Hey, I just noticed Stuart Robbins previously commented. I just wanted to add that I listen to your Exposing PseuedoAstrnony podcast regularly.

8. Stuart Robbins
    September 9, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Thanks, Zomby. :)

9. RobB
    September 9, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Too bad he’s on a station he won’t be heard on.

10. ZombyWoof
    September 10, 2013 at 6:28 AM

I wouldn’t mind listening to Art Bell again but I don’t have Sirius XM Radio. My car came with it but after the three free months, that was it for me. I’m not paying for it. It’s not worth it. Besides that’s the only place I would get to hear the show.