Warning: You may explode hearing this horrendous alt med story

A 15 year old girl who suffers cerebral palsy and a severe seizure disorder is on life support after her mother chose alternatives instead of real medicine. This will make you scream.

Disabled teenage girl’s mother regrets her condition, not actions | Dallasnews.com – The Dallas Morning News.

*This article may be behind a paywall for some*

A woman accused of severely abusing her disabled teenage daughter said in a tearful jail interview Tuesday that she has no regrets about using homeopathic and naturopathic treatments she read about on the Internet, including stopping the girl’s seizure medication.

“I do regret that she’s in the state that she’s in now,” Schandrilla Schlesinger, 37, said during the interview at the Lew Sterrett Justice Center. “I’ve had people tell me over and over that I’m basically responsible for this … it hurts so bad because I know I’ve done everything that I knew to do, and it seemed to be working.”

Schlesinger, of Red Bird, was arrested Saturday and faces a first-degree felony charge of injury to a disabled individual causing serious bodily injury. Her bail was set at $150,000 and she remained at the jail on Tuesday evening.

Seemed to be working? Only in her head. This woman was delusional and must have refused sound advice about medical care. Child protective services received five prior calls. And the girl was found emaciated. She was taken to a hospital and put on life support. The woman’s other children have been removed from the home.

Listen to what else she said:

“I have never really been a fan of medication, ever”

“We have embraced living a holistic lifestyle, and it worked out great,” she said.

“She was basically going through a detox.”

“The only regret that I do have is doing it on my own, but as far as the method, no.”

Your sheer ignorance and arrogance is no excuse. Fail. Horrible fail. But I also blame any alt med practitioners who allowed this to happen.

9 comments for “Warning: You may explode hearing this horrendous alt med story

1. One Eyed Jack
    August 14, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Child protective services received five prior calls.

WTF?

One should have been enough.

2. Brian
    August 14, 2013 at 10:55 PM

You’d be surprised at the cartwheels you have to turn to get CPS to do their job. I called on an incident, and CPS showed up 2 MONTHS later, after this bunch had long since moved out.

3. Heather
    August 14, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Lady, detoxes and cleanses are pure and utter bullshit along with the rest of the quackery you forced upon your daughter and other children.

4. Graham
    August 15, 2013 at 3:48 AM

And of course the Alt-med community will be scrambling to claim that the only harm to the victim was caused once she was transferred to the hospital.

5. August 15, 2013 at 6:11 AM

So, to answer the question, “well, come on, can alternative medicines really do any harm..?”

6. Chris Howard
    August 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Alt-med has more in common with religion, and superstition than with genuine science.

So like the various adherents to different religions no amount of evidence, or tragedy will shake the woo-med believers faith.

It seems to be a facet of New Age religions beliefs and practices, along with organic foods as the religions kosher dietary restrictions.

7. Cathy
    August 15, 2013 at 9:04 PM

While I am very pleased to be in the process of reducing my sons epilepsy medication, I am even more pleased that he hadn’t had a seizure for over 2 and half years before we started the process. It’s just not worth the risk.

8. Jayme
    August 16, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I’m an alt-med practitioner (yes, please, commence with the stone-throwing); but strictly on myself and I *never* force what I think or believe on others. In fact, if someone asks my advice about what I do/use, I always advice them to talk to their doctor first and make sure they understand that I am NOT a medical professional. That being said, I also believe that some medications or treatments are very necessary and subsisting solely on oils, herbs, whatever is not enough. Mostly I practice from a preventative point of view rather than a treatment point of view and I haven’t gone wrong yet. This woman was obviously delusional and misinformed and she gives a bad name to the entire community.

9. Bernie Simon
    August 21, 2013 at 1:23 PM

“I also blame any alt med practitioners who allowed this to happen.”

The article says she was treating her daughter based on information “she read about on the Internet.” I don’t see where any alt med practitioners were involved.